What's new

Mingoose 3 pc Injector razor

This just showed up in a Maggard's email I received today. Might be a little on the pricey end @ $165 but for those that like the A/C format but doesn't like the width of the head this might be just right as it accepts the smaller injector blades...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just looked it up too from the Maggard Newsletter. Not sure I want to pay so much to get an injector razor that doesn't inject, but I really like that short version of their barber pole handle.

I like the narrower-width injector format—it’s more nimble than AC, and it’s a beautiful razor, but does it take the Japanese Schick II Twin—that’s the threshold for me.

It may use injector blades, but the geometry of it's head is so different from an injector that I don't think it would shave like one. For the price, it doesn't interest me.

Wow... Sounds like some mixed feelings on this thing for sure. The reason I like the concept of it using injector blades is because one of the biggest complaints I have heard from those that didn't like the A/C format was because the head was too wide....and this razor takes care of that being narrower and it uses a blade that is as ridged as an A/C blade. From what I've ever heard about Mongoose razors everyone that has had one in their hand has said the quality was exceptionally good. I just thought the price on this was a little too high though if it were say in the $100 range I think it would maybe be something to look at.

@Peter's coin
As to the Schick Twin II fitting, if it has the slots in it like other injector blades it should work and the actual name of this razor is "Mingoose", not a clone or clone name. Its mfg'd by Mongoose... "Min" being a play on mini in the wording. I thought it was catchy and clever on their part.

@Bricksville
I see absolutely nothing about this razor that makes it look like a frankenrazor of any kind so that is just nonsense to me... Take a closer look at the first two pics I posted of the razor!!

I see absolutely nothing about this razor that makes it look like a frankenrazor of any kind so that is just nonsense to me... Take a closer look at the first two pics I posted of the razor!!

Isn't the head brushed stainless and the handle polished? Their finishes don't match, do they? Or am I missing something?

Isn't the head brushed stainless and the handle polished? Their finishes don't match, do they? Or am I missing something?
The finish is traditional for Mongoose but I think the 3rd pic I posted was done in either really bad lighting or they photo shopped the head into the pic before they were out of production. The other pics they have don't show quite as much a contrast. Maybe its something you have to hold in your hand to make that decision. They do say the razor has a satin finish to it but its a mini version of the SS version they released last year. I certainly see nothing frankenrazor about it at all though...

The finish is traditional for Mongoose but I think the 3rd pic I posted was done in either really bad lighting or they photo shopped the head into the pic before they were out of production. The other pics they have don't show quite as much a contrast. Maybe its something you have to hold in your hand to make that decision. They do say the razor has a satin finish to it but its a mini version of the SS version they released last year. I certainly see nothing frankenrazor about it at all though...

You're probably right that it would be best to see it in person, but boy the photos above and on the Maggard site sure make it look like the head and handle don't match. When a head and handle are mismatched, that's what I call the Frankenrazor look, but I'm no authority and YMMV. Anyway, my brother, I'm glad you like the look. :thumbup1:

It may use injector blades, but the geometry of it's head is so different from an injector that I don't think it would shave like one. For the price, it doesn't interest me.

Exactly my opinion ... i prefer the supply provision to this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mingoose review: I love schick injectors and those blades. Usually get a very good shaves and really like that they are milder in nature (at least the ones I use). The Mingoose is not an injector at all but use the same blades and loads manually. If anything, it is a scaled down version of the "Feather AC" blade. Seems the schick version of blades has been around longer than the feather AC's but in any case the blades are very similar in apperance just a difference in size.

For one use, it is not bad at all. I would consider this to be a mild razor, not a lot of blade feel (which is fine for me). I did my usual prep and used what is one of the best soaps for me, Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal (unscented) with a plisson synthetic. Maybe I had loaded too much soap onto my brush (with not enough water) but I felt this first go around the razor dragged a bit more than usual. I also had two weepers which is very unusual for me. I tend to get away with zero "accidents" most of the time. I also could have a bad blade but it was new from the dispenser. Maybe my prep was not good enough. Couple more uses with other soaps may reveal the character of the razor for more clarity.

Now I will say that yesterday's shave was a little rough so I may have had more sensitive skin today.

As with all razors you do need a little time to adjust so lets not call this a problem now. As for the razor itself, very nice construction.

This razor does not suffer from the El Jefe 1st appearance and blade seems to fit with little play. I also had a RR Hawk, and between the hawk and mingoose I think the hawk was a bit smoother upfront. I sold off the hawk for other reasons. In any case I think I need a couple more shaves with the mingoose before declaring its place in my rotation. It is by no means garbage. If you are on the fence, then wait a bit more to read more reviews. I also need to try personna blades and see how they work.

I saw this and was intrigued.
I love the Supply Provision Injector which really does bring something new to the party compared to the vintage Injectors (which I also love).

The shave report from @imbored2deth above suggests that the Mingoose might be rather meh though - rough mild and unremarkable.
I’ll wait to hear more reviews but it sounds like the mingoose could fall into the same category as those modern SS GEM blade razors - an attempt to reinvent the wheel for a lot of $$$$

Mingoose shave 2: Definitely better than yesterday. I have to conclude that my first shave had a poor lather and that I did not have the right angle, as well as finicky skin. Today I bowl lathered to make sure that I had a better shave cream. Also I think my face did heal up a bit so I am not very sensitive. The razor did a very nice job. Fairly smooth and just worked well. I would say finding the angle was not as obvious as one would think. I found that riding the angled portion of the head was just about right. Not a lot of blade feel as I said before but for me this is a plus. My face does not like a lot of blade feel so mild is good for me. It might be a touch more aggressive than the ebarbershop schick clone (which I have). All in all, much better review today. A couple more days will be better but I am happy with the purchase thus far. The upside to this razor is that handle options are better than a generic schick. Just like GEMs, blade choices are limited but this is not a bad thing IMO.

mingoose2.png

Mingoose shave 2: Definitely better than yesterday. I have to conclude that my first shave had a poor lather and that I did not have the right angle, as well as finicky skin. Today I bowl lathered to make sure that I had a better shave cream. Also I think my face did heal up a bit so I am not very sensitive. The razor did a very nice job. Fairly smooth and just worked well. I would say finding the angle was not as obvious as one would think. I found that riding the angled portion of the head was just about right. Not a lot of blade feel as I said before but for me this is a plus. My face does not like a lot of blade feel so mild is good for me. It might be a touch more aggressive than the ebarbershop schick clone (which I have). All in all, much better review today. A couple more days will be better but I am happy with the purchase thus far. The upside to this razor is that handle options are better than a generic schick. Just like GEMs, blade choices are limited but this is not a bad thing IMO.

View attachment 873679
Have you thought about trying the Schick Proline Type B blade, which though an AC blade work very well in Injectors.

Have you thought about trying the Schick Proline Type B blade, which though an AC blade work very well in Injectors.

Would one have to cut down the proline blade? My guess is the hole for positioning would not line up as well.

Schick Proline B-20 is the correct size/type for injector razors.
Schick Proline P-30 is the type thats used for AC razors and Straights.

The B-20 should fit this razor just fine without cutting it down in size, and I'm guessing the holes should be in the right place.

Top Bottom