What's new

Lea did a 180 on me...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So my last order from GiftsandCare came with a complimentary sample of Lea Classic cream in a neat little metal tube. I tried it soon after and I got, not kidding, one of the worst shaves I can remember. My face was dry and irritated and I was miserable for hours after the shave. Anyway a chalked it up to 'it just doesn't agree with me' and moved on...

Fast forward a few months later, to this morning, and I came across the almost forgotten little tube. I said 'what the heck' (yeah, never said I was bright...) and gave it another shot. Well, I got a very close and fairly comfy shave. Overall I was pretty pleased. I noted that it's not the slickest shave and post shave is about average, but really no complaints.

Go figure

This is why I (almost) never judge a product after one or even a few uses. I tend to use my soaps and creams in a weekly rotation which allows me to learn their characteristics better. This is also why I never take reviews seriously when it is provided by someone that has only used a product once or twice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've done the same thing over the years, you really have give soap, creams and blades a few tries ...LEA , especially the PROFESSIONAL cream , has been great for me, and LEA stick is a real best buy.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Agreed with the 'using them for awhile" line of thought and that's what I usually do but the 1st shave was so bad, dismal really, that I thought the cream just didn't agree with me. It's been months since that 1st shave, and I cannot remember the details, but perhaps it was an old or bad blade...

I’ve NEVER had a soap or cream do a 180 on me. The first use - in my case - has been an excellent predictor of future performance... Not that I haven’t tried to beat a dead horse...to no success..Bottom line....the good may get better but the bad never improve or may get even worse..

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I’ve NEVER had a soap or cream do a 180 on me. The first use - in my case - has been an excellent predictor of future performance... Not that I haven’t tried to beat a dead horse...to no success..

Agreed, this was the 1st time its happened to me...

Last edited:
The LEA creams are among my very favourite performers. In particular the Professional/Original,... or whatever it’s referred to as. Love the stuff!

LEA , especially the PROFESSIONAL cream , has been great for me
Can you comment on the differences between the Classic cream in the metallic tube and the Professional in the white tube? It looked to me that the differences were only the size of the tube and scent. I have (and like) the Classic, and am wondering if I'm missing out by not having the Professional.

Last edited:
Any new product may take a few tries to dial in the right amount of water and product and whatever to get the best lather. Lea is a very decent cream and stick. Not my favorite, but it's not bad at all.

Can you comment on the differences between the Classic cream in the metallic tube and the Professional in the white tube? It looked to me that the differences were only the size of the tube and scent. I have (and like) the Classic, and am wondering if I'm missing out by not having the Professional.
That may be the only difference , I always buy the Pro tube, it's a real bargain.

Both Classic and Professional are great creams. For me the Classic seems a touch more refined, silkier,... maybe it’s more a concentrated formula. Other than that, the difference is scent, packaging, and the menthol in the Classic.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Both Classic and Professional are great creams. For me the Classic seems a touch more refined, silkier,... maybe it’s more a concentrated formula. Other than that, the difference is scent, packaging, and the menthol in the Classic.

The professional doesn't have menthol?

shavefan

I’m not a fan

OK, thanks. I did some digging and on Lea's website and as best I can determine they do not have a 'Professional' with menthol. But they do show a 'mentholated' cream, I just don't see any reference to 'Professional' for this one.

Here are the details of each one for those interested...

As you can see, all versions have different ingredient profiles

Lea 'Classic' 100 grams: Ingredients: aqua, palmitic acid, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, lauric acid, myristic acid, sodium hydroxide, parfum, menthol, allantoin, oleic acid, lanolin, bisabolol, linoleic acid, lactic acid, limonene, hydroxycitronellal, benzyl salicylate, coumarin, methylisothiazolinone
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 11.01.51 AM.png

Lea 'Professional' 250 grams: Ingredients: aqua, palmitic acid, stearic acid, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, sodium hydroxide, parfum, lactic acid, methylisothiazolinone, allantoin, hydroxyisohexyl, 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, limonen, linalool
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 11.03.29 AM.png

Lea 'Mentholated' 150 grams: Ingredients: Aqua, stearic acid, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, coconut fatty acids, sodium hydroxide, parfum, boric acid, menthol, citral, eugenol, geraniol, isoraldeina, lyral, linalool, Benzyl Salicytate
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 11.04.57 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 11.00.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 11.00.45 AM.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 6
OK, thanks. I did some digging and on Lea's website and as best I can determine they do not have a 'Professional' with menthol. But they do show a 'mentholated' cream, I just don't see any reference to 'Professional' for this one.

Here are the details of each one for those interested...

As you can see, all versions have different ingredient profiles

Lea 'Classic' 100 grams: Ingredients: aqua, palmitic acid, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, lauric acid, myristic acid, sodium hydroxide, parfum, menthol, allantoin, oleic acid, lanolin, bisabolol, linoleic acid, lactic acid, limonene, hydroxycitronellal, benzyl salicylate, coumarin, methylisothiazolinone
View attachment 871795

Lea 'Professional' 250 grams: Ingredients: aqua, palmitic acid, stearic acid, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, sodium hydroxide, parfum, lactic acid, methylisothiazolinone, allantoin, hydroxyisohexyl, 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, limonen, linalool
View attachment 871797

Lea 'Mentholated' 150 grams: Ingredients: Aqua, stearic acid, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, coconut fatty acids, sodium hydroxide, parfum, boric acid, menthol, citral, eugenol, geraniol, isoraldeina, lyral, linalool, Benzyl Salicytate
View attachment 871798

That green on is the one I was thinking of.

I recently emptied out a whole tube (250ml) of the Professional into a OS mug. It’s been drying, and is croap-like in consistency.

Top Bottom