What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

Yep, it was the shoulder I was commenting on. I only have one common bar handle with the flat shoulder, ala the New Deluxe. I’ve been yelled at (not really!) for displaying a NEW Deluxe with a round shoulder common bar handle.

I can’t say I’ve come across a long comb or short comb NEW with the flat shoulder common bar handle. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Same era, and Gillette is famous for confusing us with odd combos.

Here's my recently acquired NEW LC with a flat shoulder common bar.

New LC.jpg

Question for you gents. I recently picked up some Gillette NEW's, the short and sweet is I love them. I was wondering if somebody can identify exactly which one this is because all the variations is driving me nuts, I've read through pages and pages and still aren't sure which one this is, and era it was made, 30's?

I bought a SC and LC, this is the LC. I noticed the SC has grooves machined into the outside edge of the baseplate, does anybody know what purpose they serve? I have a preference for the SC, this pictured LC seems much more aggressive than the SC but I am getting absolutely amazing shaves from the SC. Cap seems to be copper, baseplate is brass and handle is hollow and appears to be copper. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 869944

1930’s Long Comb. It’s actually brass, sometimes called red brass. Higher copper content. Pretty much all were made in the 30’s, with a few minor exceptions.

The short comb grooves or scallops in the corners of the baseplate are to fit the tabs on the cap.
Just to make things more interesting, there are about 5 different caps that came with the short comb. I can’t find the picture I want, but this one shows a few different caps. Ignore the New Deluxe.

The cap on the bottom head is preferred for absolute rigidity, though they all work well. Notice how long the tabs on the cap are, compared to the others. That cap tabs are why the scallops are so large.
F7C82BFB-5340-4C1A-8108-E95460B2E28D.jpeg

Enjoy!

Adding to Hoka Hey, the cap on the bottom head is also shorter in width and that contributed to its blade feel is a bit different too, IME.

Ok thanks guys, I got 3 of the SC. 2 for me and 1 for my son when he gets a little older. All 3 are the one on the bottom, the most rigid and all are in amazing shape. Like I said I'm getting spectacular shaves from that particular short comb amd I find the long comb pictured much more agressive imo

I noticed handles called different things, what is my handle called?

Ok thanks guys, I got 3 of the SC. 2 for me and 1 for my son when he gets a little older. All 3 are the one on the bottom, the most rigid and all are in amazing shape. Like I said I'm getting spectacular shaves from that particular short comb amd I find the long comb pictured much more agressive imo

I noticed handles called different things, what is my handle called?
Common bar.

1930’s Long Comb. It’s actually brass, sometimes called red brass. Higher copper content. Pretty much all were made in the 30’s, with a few minor exceptions.

The short comb grooves or scallops in the corners of the baseplate are to fit the tabs on the cap.
Just to make things more interesting, there are about 5 different caps that came with the short comb. I can’t find the picture I want, but this one shows a few different caps. Ignore the New Deluxe.

The cap on the bottom head is preferred for absolute rigidity, though they all work well. Notice how long the tabs on the cap are, compared to the others. That cap tabs are why the scallops are so large. View attachment 870006
Enjoy!

Excellent info, I must say.

I'm awaiting the arrival of my first ShortComb NEW. It is on the way with a ball-end handle. I have LongComb NEWs with both ball-end and common bar handles, and have seen many photos of ShortComb NEWs with the common bar but don't recall seeing any with a ballend handle. Did Gillette sell SC NEWs with ball-end handles or only the common bar? And if so, did either handle precede the other? I like originality, and am cool with the ball-end (even if it's not the actual one that left the factory with that head), but if the SC's only came with common bars, I'd like to know for sure.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

short combs came with a variety of handles, but not with a ball end.

Adam

I prefer the first release New LC with the ball end handle. All yellow brass. They are stunning when polished and shave very well. I think the balance with the ball end handle is perfect for me.

Top Bottom