What's new

Why AS?

I mean NO disrespect but why do you guys use AS? I am acne prone and need to be very cautious about what touches my skin.
thanks
I use a high alcohol AS to prevent acne. Often I use plain drugstore alcohol.
Toners/balms/spashes with no/low alcohol content & with too much humectant can aggravate acne.

I think you should read this thread that talks about the negatives of using an alcohol based aftershave:

Alcohol Splash: Nostalgia or Good Skin Care?

I think the mods have censorored this guy @SGold because they dont like the things he has to say which run contrary to the common beliefs on this forum. If you try to click on his user name to see his other posts you will see that the option has been disabled.

But if you are a scientist like me than you value to hear both sides of an argument. I am vehemently opposed to censorship and the suppression of data.

So do you use AS before or after moisturizer?

I live in the desert, so moisturizer is a key part of the daily routine for me. What I do is moisturize immediately after showering and before beginning the shave routine. By the time I'm actually shaving, the moisturizer has been soaking in for about 5 minutes. Then when I'm finished shaving, I use an aftershave (90% of the time) or balm (10% of the time). And in my experience, the moisturizer still does its thing, because it's been absorbed by the time the AS comes along.

Why use AS at all? I think the origin has to do with its antiseptic properties. People used to die from infections caused by shaving in unsanitary conditions. Nearly all of us shave freshly cleaned faces now, so it's not much of an issue. So why indeed?

I like the smell first of all. That's the main thing. I also like the sting and feeling of face-tightening or the cool feeling of menthol (as in Barbasol Brisk). Depending on the AS, it can make my face feel softer too. Some AS seems like it's just scented alcohol. But some actually has really nice emollients in it. Proraso Red (for example) really makes my face feel soft when it follows the moisturizer.

M

member 119848

My aftershave has a no fragrance (Tüff sensitiv). I use it mostly for its antiseptic properties.
However, my aftershave balm is for soothing and moisturizing.

I love aftershave. It's the best part of the shave for me. On a rare occasion, I have been distracted in the morning, and have forgotten to go back and apply aftershave. And for the rest of the day my face feels naked. For real, my face is lacking something and feels incomplete.

I enjoy the crisp tightening of my skin form applying the aftershave. I know that the alcohol is providing some antiseptic qualities, and helping to seal up any micro abrasions in my skin. I enjoy the scent, and use aftershave for my primary scent delivery device 99% of the time (rarely use cologne). It just completes the shave. I never used to use aftershave, but I just didn't know what I was missing. Now that I've been using it for years, I absolutely can't go without it.

....would be best i think.

This is the most important thing. Try an aftershave, try a balm, use both, then do what's best for your skin. It doesn't matter what other folks do, if that doesn't work for you.

There's no right or wrong, no rules to shaving. You just need to do what works for you.

Good aftershaves, whether splash or balm, should not clog up your skin or cause acne breakouts. I had a girlfriend who would flip out when I rub my freshly shaved face on her because she worried about acne.

If your face is oily, an alcohol-based astringent with witch hazel might help prevent acne.

If you're worried about acne but you have dry skin, try aloe vera gel.

Aftershave should help disinfect skin, sooth irritation, or moisturize.

I love the smell and it just feels refreshing. A generous splash of AS “completes” the entire experience for me.

I mean NO disrespect but why do you guys use AS? I am acne prone and need to be very cautious about what touches my skin.
thanks

Because it’s awesome!!

If you even want to use an aftershave, I’d stick with a simple ingredient AS splash if you have regular blemishes. Witch hazel can help some gents with that too and can be used as a simple AS on its own.

(You know your own skin so take this recommendation with a grain of salt. Also always good to moisturize after a shave even if just a little bit will likely help with acne in long run —unless you specifically have a dermatologist say otherwise for your skin).

As many people before me have said, there is no why. But it sure was fun opening my greyhound bus of Avon Everest this morning and splashing it on!! Happy shaves and after to all!!

Because without it, it feels like walking around with a sunburn. Just a constant stinging burning sensation. Multiply that if I sweat that morning. It's not about scent, it's about survival.

Because after shaving your sack with a GEM OCMM, there is nothing like the sweet, soothing burn of an aftershave to make the world your oyster! Its on a string, Baby! Grab it!

Because without it, it feels like walking around with a sunburn. Just a constant stinging burning sensation. Multiply that if I sweat that morning. It's not about scent, it's about survival.
That is a great descripton!

I think you should read this thread that talks about the negatives of using an alcohol based aftershave:

Alcohol Splash: Nostalgia or Good Skin Care?

I think the mods have censorored this guy @SGold because they dont like the things he has to say which run contrary to the common beliefs on this forum. If you try to click on his user name to see his other posts you will see that the option has been disabled.

But if you are a scientist like me than you value to hear both sides of an argument. I am vehemently opposed to censorship and the suppression of data.
Mods don’t censor here unless you break the rules of the forum. Use what you wish. Some people like the effects of an alcohol splash and some do not. Plenty of folks on here don’t use alcohol splashes.

I prefer something cheap and alcoholic, if not available a lot of cold water rinsing does the job or maybe an alum block.

Not a big fan or aftershave creams and lotions. Lather, blade, splash.

Top Bottom