What's new

Preferred Style of Strop

I'm about to get my first straight edge and after about 5 years of DE use, I'm pretty excited to try something new. I have noticed that, like anything else, their are different styles of strops. I think it's fair to say that when we hear "strop" our brain goes directly to the belt style. What is your guys' preferred strop? Belt? Paddle? Block?

I prefer a hanging strop. It's probably best to find an inexpensive strop to start out with as you will likely put some nicks in it when learning. I started with the poor man strop from Whipped Dog and found it worked well to learn with. Another option is buy each type and paste the ones you like least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had kind of an Epiphany while thinking about strops per se....the concept of buying a “disposable” strop as a first attempt is decent advice I guess. But, there is another way to build that mousetrap (or strop if you will).
Buy yourself a few Chicago screws and a big D-ring or two at the local Ace hardware and find thee a strip of decent leather either on line or at a local craft store. Take a long hard look at the assortment of strops out there, find a really simple design....and make it yourself. Or........ If you care to go minimalist, get the aforementioned chunk of leather in the size you want. Punch a hole in the top, run a loop of rawhide lacing through it. Mission accomplished for very little coin.
I am on a similar journey at present. Looking for a piece of shell cordovan, about 18”x3”. End pieces will be made from shark, elephant, stingray...maybe alligator.
Hopelessly exotic and silly opulent. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:
I highly recommend a hanging horsehide strop (suede-like texture/surface) with beveled edges along with a vintage firehose linen strop - both available from the TomoNagura shop on Etsy.
Absolutely wonderful set with D-ring handles and swivel clip on the other end.

I couldn’t agree with you more, Keith makes wonderful strops. I have a gorgeous Westholm in heavy horse front that is beyond incredible. That said the two alarm firehose strop I have from Keith is magic. It has a very simple, rustic look and is but together with great attention to detail. The firehose combined with the westholm leather is killer.

2-1/2" wide by 24" hanging barber's strop is my preference. No handles, just a square cut end. But practice on a cheap strop before spending a lot for something nicer as you seriously risk to nick or cut the first strop.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You definitely want a proper hanging leather strop for your first strop. Hanging leather is the essential strop and provides the burnishing that the edge needs, for a smooth shave. Paddles are a whole nother critter with different purpose IMHO.

My favorite style of strop is a single leather strip with a D ring on each end. If I nick up one edge badly enough, I can always swap ends. If I don't, I can swap ends to distribute the wear. I like 2-3/4" to 3" wide, with about 24" of usable length. Cowhide works fine for me, veg tanned if you please. I don't care about fire hose or canvas or linen or felt etc etc. Just plain old moo cow leather. You don't need any silly clips or swivels or other doodads.

Like Acme said, DIYing your own, even as a raw newbie, is doable. You will probably hack it to bits anyway. McMaster-Carr sells suitable leather. Tandy does too. Try to get veg tanned. Saddleries are good places to find D rings and chicago screws but they are all over Amazon and Fleabay. Use three, not two chicago screws at each end. New leather doesn't really need any treatment but you can increase the draw if desired, by rubbing your hand on some beeswax and then rubbing the completed strop. Neatsfoot oil is good for preserving or rejuvenating leather but don't overdo it. Seriously, a couple of drops rubbed in with your palm is more than enough unless the leather is literally on the verge of cracking up. I picked up a couple of cheap strops on Fleabay that weren't too bad, actually, suitable for a beginner's expendable learner strop. Here is the link. Beware the $3 Chinese strops. Hide of the nauga, I think. Horrible and useless. Larry at www.whippeddog.com sells the popular Poor Man strop and it is widely used by beginners. Upgrade later, when you know you won't slice it to shreds.

You definitely want a proper hanging leather strop for your first strop. Hanging leather is the essential strop and provides the burnishing that the edge needs, for a smooth shave. Paddles are a whole nother critter with different purpose IMHO.

My favorite style of strop is a single leather strip with a D ring on each end. If I nick up one edge badly enough, I can always swap ends. If I don't, I can swap ends to distribute the wear. I like 2-3/4" to 3" wide, with about 24" of usable length. Cowhide works fine for me, veg tanned if you please. I don't care about fire hose or canvas or linen or felt etc etc. Just plain old moo cow leather. You don't need any silly clips or swivels or other doodads.

Like Acme said, DIYing your own, even as a raw newbie, is doable. You will probably hack it to bits anyway. McMaster-Carr sells suitable leather. Tandy does too. Try to get veg tanned. Saddleries are good places to find D rings and chicago screws but they are all over Amazon and Fleabay. Use three, not two chicago screws at each end. New leather doesn't really need any treatment but you can increase the draw if desired, by rubbing your hand on some beeswax and then rubbing the completed strop. Neatsfoot oil is good for preserving or rejuvenating leather but don't overdo it. Seriously, a couple of drops rubbed in with your palm is more than enough unless the leather is literally on the verge of cracking up. I picked up a couple of cheap strops on Fleabay that weren't too bad, actually, suitable for a beginner's expendable learner strop. Here is the link. Beware the $3 Chinese strops. Hide of the nauga, I think. Horrible and useless. Larry at www.whippeddog.com sells the popular Poor Man strop and it is widely used by beginners. Upgrade later, when you know you won't slice it to shreds.
What he said.
Great synopsis, @Slash McCoy

Searching for D rings online. Two inch wide seems to be the widest. I suppose we just trim the leather down to fit it. Is that right?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah you can just notch the leather to fit over a smaller D ring, but don't notch too deeply. About 3/8" is as much as I would go. That would give you a 2-3/4" strop on 2" D rings. But you can get bigger D rings. Check saddleries and rigging supplies. Wanna get medieval? Make them in wax and then lost wax (investment) cast them in bronze or brass or even aluminum. Aluminum oxidizes in seconds, so don't disturb the junk floating on the surface more than necessary because it blocks air from the aluminum. Skim and pour right away. You may be able to find a suitable flux to float on top of the melted aluminum. Bronze is much easier to handle in that respect. Or cut them out of 1/4" steel plate. Fancy yourself a blacksmith? Fire up whatever you use for a forge, and hammer them out. A charcoal grill and a steel pipe fed by a hair dryer duck taped to the other end will get you there, though you might set half your yard on fire. Don't do this near a wood house LOL!!!

Some of the girth rings I have seen are really fancy, too. Another vote for a saddle supply shop.

I'm a fan of 2-3" hanging strops with D-rings. I started with a stop that had a leather handle and for some reason, I never really grew to love it like I have with D-rings.
Yeah you can just notch the leather to fit over a smaller D ring, but don't notch too deeply. About 3/8" is as much as I would go. That would give you a 2-3/4" strop on 2" D rings. But you can get bigger D rings. Check saddleries and rigging supplies. Wanna get medieval? Make them in wax and then lost wax (investment) cast them in bronze or brass or even aluminum. Aluminum oxidizes in seconds, so don't disturb the junk floating on the surface more than necessary because it blocks air from the aluminum. Skim and pour right away. You may be able to find a suitable flux to float on top of the melted aluminum. Bronze is much easier to handle in that respect. Or cut them out of 1/4" steel plate. Fancy yourself a blacksmith? Fire up whatever you use for a forge, and hammer them out. A charcoal grill and a steel pipe fed by a hair dryer duck taped to the other end will get you there, though you might set half your yard on fire. Don't do this near a wood house LOL!!!

Some of the girth rings I have seen are really fancy, too. Another vote for a saddle supply shop.
Great advice! Especially the part about not setting your yard on fire!! This is just shaving, what could happen? lol

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hanging strop certainly. Mine is 2 1/4" shell horse and is over 70 years old and works beautifully. One strap of shell (finish) and one strap of hair side and no cloth.

I'm coming to like the convenience of loom and paddle strops, though the loom and hanging strops are more forgiving of poor technique.

A Tony Miller hanging strop from https://heirloomrazorstrop.com/. Tony is a member who makes excellent strops and provides terrific customer service. He can help you find the right strop for you.

As others have said, part of the ritual is nicking your first strop, so starting with one of Tony's value strops is an excellent place to start. Tony will also sell you individual parts should any components wear out or suffer from damage.

Top Bottom