What's new

Question about dress shirts...

Got a new job, need dress shirts to wear exclusively with suits. Went to a suit box store, guy measured me and I bought two shirts the size he said, 17.5/35. Got home and tried the shirt on and I could fit two of me and probably my wife in the shirt. It's a "tailored" fit shirt, but there's absolutely nothing tailored about it. Honestly, you'd have to be 7 feet tall and 350 lbs for this shirt fit remotely like it's been tailored.

Now, I planned to take whatever shirts I bought to a tailor. My question is 1. can a shirt that is this large, with that much extra material even be tailored and end up fitting properly? 2. Are all dress shirts made like this? Giant and baggy, with the expectation that they will eventually be tailored? 3. Why would they describe the shirt as "tailored fit" when the thing looks like you're wearing a sheet? 4. Does anyone sell nice dress shirts that are actually slim cut, and have a tailored fit? I prefer the thick, all cotton shirts that need to be dry cleaned vs the stretchy wrinkle free material. Thanks for any help/recommendations...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Certainly shirts can be altered. In your case that would be having the sides taken in. Not a cheap proposition . . . probably around thirty bucks. Most guys who have a 17.5 neck have a 46-48 chest. If you are going to need all your shirts altered it might be less expensive to have them custom made.

On the cotton/dry clean vs stretchy wrinkle free idea . . . there are a lot of pretty good in betweens. The guys here can suggest some I'm sure.

If you have access to a higher end men's suit store you may want to return your box store shirts and go there. Out the alteration money into getting better cloth in the first place. And always try it on before you buy. Best, JM.

What's a suit box store?

So any men's store worth their salt will take those shirts back for an exchange or full refund. particularly since it was purchased on the recommendation of the salesperson.

Sounds to me like the salesman did not measure you properly. A bit of alteration is normal, but you should not need a total refit. A tailor can take in the sides and shorten the sleeves,but generally they can't alter the neck or shoulders.

Sorry but why in the world didn't you try them on?
Return them.
J A Banks, pricey but lasts.
Save the tailor for the priority things.
I've never needed to tailor a shirt, go back.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1. can a shirt that is this large, with that much extra material even be tailored and end up fitting properly?

Maybe.

If the collar is the right size, and the shoulders are the right width ...

proxy.php

... the bagginess of the body and sleeves can be altered. Of course, there's something to be said for a shirt "at least almost" fitting right from the get-go, so it needs "tweaking" rather than a major overhaul. If the shirts are "way off" the fit you want and need, I'm hoping your store will exchange them for a different size (try it on in-store before leaving) to make you a happy customer.

2. Are all dress shirts made like this? Giant and baggy, with the expectation that they will eventually be tailored?

Some are, some are not. There is no "industry standard" that every company has to comply with for what a "fitted" shirt means. And of course, some guys have body shapes that ... um ... don't require tailoring of the dress shirt. They need some extra fabric. And some guys just like that fuller, non-tailored look.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Why would they describe the shirt as "tailored fit" when the thing looks like you're wearing a sheet?

It's for guys who "aren't fat ... they're big boned" so they can have the glorious feeling of "fitting into" a "fitted" shirt instead of needing a "regular size" shirt.

Does anyone sell nice dress shirts that are actually slim cut, and have a tailored fit?

Yes.

Check out here for example. The New Lewin Shirt Fit Guide | T.M. Lewin | T.M.Lewin

Typically, the more "fashion forward" stores will sell slimmer shirts. I'm guessing that H&M will sell a slimmer "slim" than Brooks Bros., for example. Ditto the comparison between Dolce & Gabanna vs. Men's Warehouse.

I prefer the thick, all cotton shirts that need to be dry cleaned

Almost any cotton shirt you get will be more than happy to be washed in your washing machine and than ironed by hand, by you. Dry cleaning will be harder on your shirts, and harder on your wallet, but it's your choice.

proxy.php

I’ll give you a +1 on the TM Lewin shirts. If you haven’t ordered from them before, they often have a discounted deal for 4 shirts.

Please note that their slim fit is fairly slim. My body type is a bit more of an apple, so I have more of a belly. The slim did not fit me well, but their traditional fit was just fine.

Go to JC Penney, Get a Stafford Brand in the Athletic Fit. I had the same problem when I used to wear dress shirts.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The suit box stores, as you put it, aren't really targeted towards the skinny guys. The shirts are "tailored fit" alright...for us average tubby American males. You might want to try something more like J Crew or Banana Republic. Or a retailer that's more, shall we say, European. A skinny friend of mine swears by Charles Tyrwhitt.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Jos A Bank has 3 for one sales with some frequency. They also have a lot of outlets. I find their shirts to be a very good value for the money (at 3 for 1), and they last a long time. They have Tailored and slim. I'd want to try one on to check for fit.

They don't always have a wide selection at the store, but the last time (about 7 years ago) I purchased 6 shirts on line (about $29 each back then) for the free shipping - and I'm still wearing them.

I agree it doesn’t sound as if you were fitted properly. Hit up a brooks brothers if you have one close? I guarantee that you will walk out with a great fit.

To pick out shirts to go with my suits I have learned to go to better stores with busy men's departments.

In my hometown, this means the downtown Nordstrom's or Brooks Brothers. I get measured, then try on the shirts in the store under supervision of LOTH (who has great taste). YMMV, but this is what works for me!

To pick out shirts to go with my suits I have learned to go to better stores with busy men's departments.

In my hometown, this means the downtown Nordstrom's or Brooks Brothers. I get measured, then try on the shirts in the store under supervision of LOTH (who has great taste). YMMV, but this is what works for me!
Exactly try them on.

I have not ordered from T.M Lewin, but I shop regularly at Charles Tyrwhitt. I swear by them, and their shirts fit perfectly, as long as your measurements are correct, of course.
Sounds like the guy didn't know how to measure. You can certainly alter shirts.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Tons of great advice.

The advice might be more focused if the original poster added his chest and waist measurements. I wear a 16.5 /35 shirt and recently tried to purchase from a place where a 17.5 /35 was impossible to button and the arms were so tight if I bent them the seams would burst.

Top Bottom