What's new

Has anyone made a straight razor out of a snapped Opinle blade?

just wondered, has there been any successful projects using other blades used in knives and converting them as straight razors?

My understanding of knives and straight razors is that the ratios would be all off. Essentially it would be impossible to hone with the exactitude that is possible with a straight razor. Therefore, would be just like shaving with a knife.

My understanding of knives and straight razors is that the ratios would be all off. Essentially it would be impossible to hone with the exactitude that is possible with a straight razor. Therefore, would be just like shaving with a knife.
I think you are right but I'm very intrigued to try reducing the bevel angle on a thin wide blade, some people say the finest shave is with a wedge, would be easy to match that angle or go even narrower

3.6 to 1 is a good width to spine thickness ratio to keep a decent shaving bevel angle when honed in a traditional manner. Haven't used other knives, but forged one from a leaf spring last fall when I started forging.

I think you are right but I'm very intrigued to try reducing the bevel angle on a thin wide blade, some people say the finest shave is with a wedge, would be easy to match that angle or go even narrower
A big part of what makes a straight razor a razor is that there is a built in honing guide. You will be hard pressed to hone to today's standards without this guide. There are numerous knife honing systems that create honing guides, but most will not go down to the 16-18 degree inclusive angle needed for a razor, that's 8-9 degrees per side. Putting a guide [permanent or temporary]on the knife spine to make it look like a frame back would be a possibility.

Top Bottom