What's new

Blades for featherweight

So I have had a gem featherweight hanging out with my DE's and it's time to order more blades so I've decided to order some blades for the gem, looking for any suggestions on brand, my go to for de are the yellow 7 o clocks. Any advice is always appreciated

You can pick up Gem blades in the shaving section at most Rite-Aid/CVS/Walgreens stores, assuming you are in the states. Look for the country of origin on the back of the package, if it says Made in USA, they are Personnas. Might be carbon i/o stainless but good blades all the same and you can get them quicker.

I'll have to check cvs, didn't see any at walgreens, I had saw some before but was hesitant of the maker

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You might try a mom & pop/independent drug store too, they often carry Gem SEs (and Schick injector blades too). If the country of origin is Korea or Viet Nam, pass them by; they are Dorcos.

Found a pack of USA made blades from cvs, gonna give them a go tonight and strive for minimal bloodshed

Note that the CVS blades are carbon steel. The blade must be removed from the razor and dried immediately after shaving, otherwise it will rust.

It is nothing short of amazing how fast these blades rust.

--Bob

Must . . . Have . . . More . . . Razors

So I gave the gem a go tonight, lathered with Lea shaving cream and went at it. Two careful passes WTG, ATG and actually achieved a dfs with no irritation. This was definitely a different shave and very audible feedback but the ergonomics were not for me when compared to the comfort when using my DE'S. Have been lurking on the injector threads though so may give this one or two more attempts and if still no luck it may go on the classifieds to give an injector a go.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions before getting in a week's worth of shaves - like everything else there is a learning curve.

Also, the CVS blades are okay but I find the GEM stainless steel blades to be both sharper and smoother, although it takes them a couple of shaves to settle in.

--Bob

I wouldn't draw any conclusions before getting in a week's worth of shaves - like everything else there is a learning curve.

Also, the CVS blades are okay but I find the GEM stainless steel blades to be both sharper and smoother, although it takes them a couple of shaves to settle in.

--Bob

+1

You can't judge a girl from the first date! And she needs stainless steel if you want to see her really shine. :thumbsup:

And on the menu tonight....CROW!!

After a few more shaves, it's really starting to grow on me, have some blades on order and looking for an injector now to give that a try next.

I recently got my hands on a featherweight and I bought the lonely pack of 10 se’s that were at my local grocery store, they are Pal brand (maybe rebranded personna) they had being looking at me to be their savior before the owner of the store would toss them cause nobody would buy them (cause nobody wet shaves around here, or shaves at all!) they are carbon steel and they performed really good, absolutely no tugging or razor burn including the fact that it was my first se shave so Ill be happy if I can find them again, although the 10 pack will last me a while

The PAL Carbon Steel Blades are much better than the GEM Blue Star Blades. I consider those GEM to be the Chevy Vega of the shaving world. You remember the Vega? The car that would start to rust in the showroom... :)

I only use the GEM by Personna blades. They are fine. No desire to get on an SE GEM blade merry go round. The carbon steel blades pale in comparison.

Top Bottom