What's new

Giving injectors another shot

So if anyone has seen any of my posts from the last few months I have been in the process of reeucire to a minimal den. I've done so successfully and am down to what I call my "core den":

-Merkur 37c
-Astra SP blades
-Omega s brush
-Proraso Cream (usually green but that have to be red for the winter time)
-Proraso green pre cream
-Proraso green or barbasol foam
-Alum stick
-Witch Hazel
-Myrsol Metilsol aftershave

I did however want to have 1 other razor in rotation. I don't like most slants when compared to my 37c and straight bars and open combs just don't work for me. I'm fine with sticking with a 37c for the forseefores future and nothing else but in once last court of RAD... I'm trying injectors again.

I went with the shave classic L knockoff from Amazon. I know it's not highly recommend around here but the type L was my favorite real injector I ever tried, even more then the type O clone, so I'll start here. I'm going with the person/Pella blades from maggard because they are much more affordable then the chicks I used to use. If they don't work out then I just won't bother with the razor. I want to be able to get blades affordably and easily through my regular preferred supplier.

Wish me luck! Haha

Wow, littered with typos. My stupid phone's autocorrect has been going nuts lately and I didn't see all this until it was too late to edit.

Haha. That happens to me a lot. Hey, I would recommend getting a real Schick. I pay around $10 for them and they come in great condition. I have cleanness mine and polished them to almost new (see photo). I'm afraid you're not going to get a true experience with this knockoff. I can point you in the right direction. I own two L types and a J type. Love 'em all. Either way, I wish you luck.
IMG_20180119_181801.jpg

Haha. That happens to me a lot. Hey, I would recommend getting a real Schick. I pay around $10 for them and they come in great condition. I have cleanness mine and polished them to almost new (see photo). I'm afraid you're not going to get a true experience with this knockoff. I can point you in the right direction. I own two L types and a J type. Love 'em all. Either way, I wish you luck.
View attachment 868624

See previously I've owned a type H, I, x2 L's, and the ebarbershop type O clone. All of the real schicks had issues holding the blades straight and/or tight enough to shave with. I've also handled many different types of actual schicks in flea markets and antique stores and all of them were very loose. Are this point I gave up on buying a real schick unless I can handle it first and know for sure it holds the blade properly.

The type O clone was really nice but it's all plastic besides the head but cost $10 more (plus shipping) then the L clone I bought which is also all plastic besides the head. If I do enjoy it and stick with them this time then I'll go back on the hunt for a real schick that works properly... Or just buy the O clone again.

Whoa.. none of my injectors hold the blade loosely. On the contrary, the blade is tight and rigid. I wonder if those were all damaged? I may not be the best person to weigh in on this.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not sure what you're talking about.

None of my injectors (the ones I've used) are anything but great. No loose blades, or misaligned blades, or anything like that. I own and regularly use the Type L-3, two of the Type M injectors, and the ebarbershop Type O clone. I also own and have shaved with the Schick Type O (the top razor in the photo below).

SchickTypeO.ebarbershopTypeOClone.TopJPG.JPG

The ebarbershop Type O clone is not all plastic besides the head. That shiny stuff on the Schick and on the clone is metal. I think it's stainless steel.

TypeO.TypeOClone.Bottom.Handle.JPG

I'm not sure what the black stuff is, but it feels rubbery to me. It gives the razor an excellent grip.

The Schick TWIN blades have a high initial cost, but they last for many shaves, so the cost per shave is reasonable.

I find these injectors to be excellent shavers. They hold the blade in the most rigid manner I can imagine. They are, above all else, easy to shave with after a learning curve has been climbed. The shaves are comfortable, and close enough, and smooth enough.

Another of my favorites is the Schick L-3, "The Grip." Excellent razor. Great shaver. Interesting and great to use handle.

I'm sure there are bad and damaged examples of most any razor you can think of, but I've not encountered any problems in the Schick injecctors I've acquired on eBay and actually used to shave. I tend to not buy from vendors who don't allow returns, and I get eBay to require the vendor to accept a return if the razor is misrepresented in any way (and eBay is happy to do so in my experience).

Of course everyone is different, and I have no idea whether any other guy would like what I like.

Happy shaves with whatever you prefer,

Jim

I recommend any of the Schick’s type I and on. They can vve had from the Bay or other sites. To shave properly, they must not rattle. Personally, I own the following Schick’s, an early E2, I1, N1, and an O clone. I use them all with the head flat against my skin. I get irritation free close, comfortable shave with them using Chinese Schick’s in the E, G, and I; the best shaves I get though are with a Japanese Schick Injector II twin Blade, in either an N or an O clone.

Whoa.. none of my injectors hold the blade loosely. On the contrary, the blade is tight and rigid. I wonder if those were all damaged? I may not be the best person to weigh in on this.

I think the ones I had were stored for long periods of time without a blade or blank in them, it felt like the spring mechanism just loosened up.

None of my injectors (the ones I've used) are anything but great. No loose blades, or misaligned blades, or anything like that. I own and regularly use the Type L-3, two of the Type M injectors, and the ebarbershop Type O clone. I also own and have shaved with the Schick Type O (the top razor in the photo below).

View attachment 868678

The ebarbershop Type O clone is not all plastic besides the head. That shiny stuff on the Schick and on the clone is metal. I think it's stainless steel.

View attachment 868679

I'm not sure what the black stuff is, but it feels rubbery to me. It gives the razor an excellent grip.

The Schick TWIN blades have a high initial cost, but they last for many shaves, so the cost per shave is reasonable.

I find these injectors to be excellent shavers. They hold the blade in the most rigid manner I can imagine. They are, above all else, easy to shave with after a learning curve has been climbed. The shaves are comfortable, and close enough, and smooth enough.

Another of my favorites is the Schick L-3, "The Grip." Excellent razor. Great shaver. Interesting and great to use handle.

I'm sure there are bad and damaged examples of most any razor you can think of, but I've not encountered any problems in the Schick injecctors I've acquired on eBay and actually used to shave. I tend to not buy from vendors who don't allow returns, and I get eBay to require the vendor to accept a return if the razor is misrepresented in any way (and eBay is happy to do so in my experience).

Of course everyone is different, and I have no idea whether any other guy would like what I like.

Jim

Very helpful information, thank you! Do you notice any major difference in the shave between an L and an O? I know they will have different weights, lengths, grips, etc but as a whole I'm curious if you have different results or have to approach using them in any different way.

I recommend any of the Schick’s type I and on. They can vve had from the Bay or other sites. To shave properly, they must not rattle. Personally, I own the following Schick’s, an early E2, I1, N1, and an O clone. I use them all with the head flat against my skin. I get irritation free close, comfortable shave with them using Chinese Schick’s in the E, G, and I; the best shaves I get though are with a Japanese Schick Injector II twin Blade, in either an N or an O clone.

"Must not rattle" see, that is the issue with the ones I've handled before (besides the type I clone of course). I did have a type E that didn't rattle but it didn't seat straight and always had the blade crooked no matter how much I fiddled with it.

"Must not rattle" see, that is the issue with the ones I've handled before (besides the type I clone of course). I did have a type E that didn't rattle but it didn't seat straight and always had the blade crooked no matter how much I fiddled with it.

Did that E have both blade stops, and were they undamaged? A bad blade stop is about the only way that I could imagine an injector to hold the blade crooked, unless the head were noticeably bent.

View attachment 868678

View attachment 868679

Jim

#1 to Brother Jim above!

View attachment 868678

View attachment 868679

Jim

Agree wholeheartedly, injectors are great razor and should get more attention.

I use my type O only with twins as i found it too mild with regular blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did that E have both blade stops, and were they undamaged? A bad blade stop is about the only way that I could imagine an injector to hold the blade crooked, unless the head were noticeably bent.

It had both blade stops but the problem was the... Top cap? (I know, de term)The part of the head that holds the blade in place and secures it to the blade stops was bent so it just wouldn't hold the blade straight up against the blade stops.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think the ones I had were stored for long periods of time without a blade or blank in them, it felt like the spring mechanism just loosened up.

I believe they're supposed to be stored with a blade or a blank, but I've seen ones without any blade or blank be fine.

It had both blade stops but the problem was the... Top cap? (I know, de term)The part of the head that holds the blade in place and secures it to the blade stops was bent so it just wouldn't hold the blade straight up against the blade stops.

So, it had obvious and visible damage. No wonder it didn't work, right?

Very helpful information, thank you! Do you notice any major difference in the shave between an L and an O? I know they will have different weights, lengths, grips, etc but as a whole I'm curious if you have different results or have to approach using them in any different way.

You are most welcome.

If there is any significant difference between shaving with the Type L and the Type O and the clone (and, for that matter, the Type M), I fail to appreciate it.

To be fair, my way of shaving with the injectors is largely based on how the shave feels and/or how it sounds. The feedback guides the shave angle. Just observing what's going on, the flat head (cap) of the razor is pretty close to the skin, but not exactly flat against the skin, but I adjust the angle so that I can hear or feel whiskers being cut.

I go N-S, then S-N, then, sometimes, but not always, R-L on my jawline, and various directions on my neck, just doing a simple shave, and observing the feedback. I get pretty jiggy, throwing the razor around, changing directions, and buffing.

I do make some effort to avoid digging with the razor. That's seems to me to be always the temptation. I also remember my old rule, painfully learned, to quit while I'm ahead, which mostly means don't do that extra pass you're thinking about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom