What's new

Taming a beard and stache

Believe it or not I've had a beard and mustache for 40 years and never once gave thought to using some kind of product in either other than washing with soap when I shower.

That being said,I've always wondered what I could do to make them behave better.
What I mean by that is neither really stay where they've been brushed to.
My beard tends to curl up a bit and the stache just has a mind of it's own.
I trim my beard fairly close these days but have been letting the 'stache grow long other than trimming very sslightly over the lip.

What do you guys suggest without my having to now start a 3-4 product process to groom?
I know I don't want to use a thick wax in my mustache,think that would drive me crazy...

Quality beard products can do wonders for the look and feel of your beard. I know you said you don’t want a 3-4 product grooming routine but that’s exactly what I’m going to suggest, and I think you’ll really enjoy it. I’ve tried a lot of beard products and am going to throw out 2 suggestions.

Bossman Brands beard products has a wonderful deal on the complete beard package. The Big Boss Facial Hair Care Package. It comes with:

Beard Jelly. And amazing hybrid product that is an oil-like product that is more viscous and nourishing. I love this stuff.
Fortify Beard Conditioner. Use 2-3 times a week after a beard shampoo and you will be impressed.
Beard Bar Shampoo.
Beard Balm. Bossman makes a great balm that has some of the best hold I’ve tried. In the morning apply the Jelly then the balm and you’ll be set.
Mudstache. I nice Moustache wax that is not hard or immovable. Just right.
A nice metal comb.
A nice Boar/Nylon Brush.

Everything you need to have very well groomed facial hair. Great products as well. All for only $59.95. A truly amazing deal for this lot. I suggest Magic Scent, smells great.

Or check out Badass Beard Care. They make amazing balms and oils and have a beard wax as well. Their shampoo gets great reviews but I have yet to try it. These products I’m sure you will enjoy as well but will run a little more $ for what you can get from Bossman. I suggest The Royal Knight scent. Smells terrific.

There are many other great companies making quality products but this is where I’d start. And if you become curious about further products stop back in and check out some threads. We’d be happy to help.

My routine is Oil/Jelly then Balm in the morning. Brush for shorter length, comb and brush for longer.

At night, Oil and a Leave in Conditioner (Greybeard’s makes a wonderful leave in conditioner) with the brush and/or comb again.

Shampoo and Condition 2-3 times a week.

With this setup you will have a new found love for your beard. I guarantee it. It’s not hard or time consuming either. A bit more than you’re used to but worth it.

Remember to apply the oil to a lightly moist beard.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Happy bearding.

Cheers.

Last edited:
For the mustache I would recommend either Captain Facwetts Mustache wax or Murray's Superior pomade.
Both products are easy to apply, one being a wax the other petroleum product.

Work your product of choice in, run a comb through the mustache to style it, then carefully work your fingers (with a little product) over again to get the final shape.

At first glance you feel that it looks "patted or tamped down", however the mustache will relax and look natural soon.

Neither of these products will harden in your mustache.

My beard is pretty curly. The longer it gets, the wilder it gets. A couple of weeks ago, my daughter was listening while I was complaining about how crazy it's been getting. She looked at me for a minute and asked me how i dry it. Like everybody else, I said. I towel it dry after I take a shower, maybe rub in some balm, and get on with things. She suggested that I try using a hair dryer. She showed me how to use one of those half-round brushes to hold my beard and then use a blow dryer with the heat turned off to dry it. You kind of hold the drier up above the beard and direct the air flow down on it. It only takes a minute to dry, and--sure enough--it's pretty straight. Stays that way too.

Dr. Silkman’s Leave-In Beard Conditioner
Local (NYC) product, don’t know how generally available it is. Relaxes and softens. Mostly Shea butter.

My problem is how to get my handlebar 'stache symmetrical.
One side curls more than the other with or without wax. I like either side, I just wish they'd match.

Well I ordered up some Badass products and will see how it goes.
They have a great deal on sampler packs.
I offered up a 4 different scent sampler of balms and oils, some beard shampoo and mustache wax.
After their sampler discount it came to under $20 including shipping.
According to them should be about a months worth of product so should be plenty enough to see how well they work.

Well I ordered up some Badass products and will see how it goes.
They have a great deal on sampler packs.
I offered up a 4 different scent sampler of balms and oils, some beard shampoo and mustache wax.
After their sampler discount it came to under $20 including shipping.
According to them should be about a months worth of product so should be plenty enough to see how well they work.

Great choice. They make some of the best stuff I’ve tried. Hope you enjoy them. Cheers.

My problem is how to get my handlebar 'stache symmetrical.
One side curls more than the other with or without wax. I like either side, I just wish they'd match.
the hair dryer and a round brush really help. i would do that even if i want to use wax in the end. more often i dry it out the each side, then curl it up at the ends with the round brush. i use the higher heat to get it all set. i can then use wax or whatever i like, but most often just a little lanolin for a natural look that last all day.

the hair dryer and a round brush really help.
What kind of "round brush", and what diameter?

What if you want it straighter, like an English style -
proxy.php

or only slightly curled, like a Hungarian style -
proxy.php

What kind of "round brush", and what diameter?

What if you want it straighter, like an English style -

or only slightly curled, like a Hungarian style -

i it important to get a round brush that has boar bristles.... they seem to hold on to your whiskers better without damaging them. i have one that is about 1.5 inch and another that is about 2.5 inch
https://smile.amazon.com/WEN-Chaz-D...9&sr=8-2&keywords=wen+boar+bristle+hair+brush
this one has both nylon and boar bristles but give a curl similar to the Hungarian style you posted earlier.

for my wiry stache, i need to use a strait iron before waxing to get the English style in your first picture.

i also have a set of Velcro curlers that i cut in half to make them mustache sized, and each gives a different style.
proxy.php

Top Bottom