What's new

Gillette Old Type

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was going to shave with my 1911 single ring this weekend (for King Gillette weekend) but noticed when the handle was properly snugged on a Personna med prep, I could grab the blade by the end tabs and wiggle it rather easily. Rather than cut a shim I went ahead and used my NEW SC instead. It's just something that probably always was the case but I just noticed it now.

I attribute this to the .004" thickness of today's blades versus the .006" thickness of the original 3 hole carbon steel blades. Next weekend I'll have it shimmed up snugly for the shave.

proxy.php

Hm, Lane, I've also been doing the one-blade thing, after buying 1K of the Dorco Prime Platinums ... These blades are somewhat thicker than most, though I have no micrometer to prove it. My belief is due to them making almost no noise in a 46-47' Aristocrat, one (normally) loud razor. Anyways.

If they ARE thicker, they are ideal in an OLD, then.

AA

Check the corners of the cap for dents, the brass is both soft and thin, and a drop onto a tile floor can raise enough of a bump on the corner to keep the cap from clamping the blade down. I personally believe this is why the "thick cap" old types appeared, they are far less prone to this particular problem.

I have five OLD types, and all but one have more than one corner dented. I've gotten most of them fixed, but will need to delicately file a couple of them flat.

Also check to make sure the cap is not bent along the length -- it really has to pull down evenly all the way across the baseplate.

I suppose it's also possible the baseplate is warped, but they are pretty thick and not usually the issue.

You do not want to shave with a loose blade, it will be horrible. Makes the blade feel very dull as it will pull like crazy, and you will get rather noticeable irritation from the blade vibrating into the skin.

You can test clamping with small pieces of notebook paper, it's about the same thickness as a blade. The cap must clap from end to end on both sides to keep a razor blade in place properly.

I'm not really a razor collector or that into DE shaving other than to just shave. I've settled into shaving with the Old Open Comb and I'm selling my other DE razors. I can't see having more than one DE razor.

Unfortunately, I can see having a lot of straight razors.

Check the corners of the cap for dents, the brass is both soft and thin, and a drop onto a tile floor can raise enough of a bump on the corner to keep the cap from clamping the blade down. I personally believe this is why the "thick cap" old types appeared, they are far less prone to this particular problem.

I have five OLD types, and all but one have more than one corner dented. I've gotten most of them fixed, but will need to delicately file a couple of them flat.

Also check to make sure the cap is not bent along the length -- it really has to pull down evenly all the way across the baseplate.

I suppose it's also possible the baseplate is warped, but they are pretty thick and not usually the issue.

You do not want to shave with a loose blade, it will be horrible. Makes the blade feel very dull as it will pull like crazy, and you will get rather noticeable irritation from the blade vibrating into the skin.

You can test clamping with small pieces of notebook paper, it's about the same thickness as a blade. The cap must clap from end to end on both sides to keep a razor blade in place properly.

I agree that often the corners on Old Types can get dinged up changing how the head holds the blade in place. Shaving with a damaged top cap on an Old Type can be like just holding the bare blade in your fingers and shaving with it. I once bought a re-plated Old Type head from a vendor who is well known on B&B. I immediately loaded it up when it was delivered and quite possibly had the worst shave I’ve had since I started using double edge razors. My expectation was that the vendor, who was selling lots of them, had corrected any imperfections like dinged top caps before doing the re-plate job. Not on the one I got. I find that inexcusable and just plain lazy. Like you said, it’s easy enough to file the corner down. I returned it, and found a vintage head on the bay in really nice condition. Problem solved.

Hm, Lane, I've also been doing the one-blade thing, after buying 1K of the Dorco Prime Platinums ... These blades are somewhat thicker than most, though I have no micrometer to prove it. My belief is due to them making almost no noise in a 46-47' Aristocrat, one (normally) loud razor. Anyways.

If they ARE thicker, they are ideal in an OLD, then.

AA

That's good to know, thanks Mike.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's good to know, thanks Mike.

Well. Try a 10-pack of the DPPs and see if you agree or can tell if they are thicker. I think they are.

Checked my single ring OLD this morning, can grab tabs, yes, but no blade-play at all.

Love all the vintage Gillettes, but would choose an OLD for the one-razor-challenge. You can feel each whisker being cut ... (of course an OLD will give you wicked rash, too, if you're careless for a moment. So too will that Ferrari wrap around a tree.)

AA

The OLD is king! The close shave, the delicate touch needed is like driving a Ferrari. It's just so.AA
I agree entirely. But with a less than delicate touch, as when you're distracted or not fully awake, blood may not gush from your face, but irritation and razor burn are likely to result.

Well. Try a 10-pack of the DPPs and see if you agree or can tell if they are thicker. I think they are.

Checked my single ring OLD this morning, can grab tabs, yes, but no blade-play at all.

Love all the vintage Gillettes, but would choose an OLD for the one-razor-challenge. You can feel each whisker being cut ... (of course an OLD will give you wicked rash, too, if you're careless for a moment. So too will that Ferrari wrap around a tree.)

AA

Just grabbed a few! Hopefully they'll be here for the weekend but if not, I'll let you know how they do. Also considering cracking open a NOS tuck of Gillette Blue blades for an OT shave sometime. Cheers :)

I've seen many bent Old Type baseplates - it does happen. I just straightened two for a fellow B&Ber.

Here's one of my personal razors when I first got it. It had the trifecta of common problems - bowed baseplate, even more bowed top cap, and a dropped top cap corner. It's laser straight now, and no longer feels "snaggle toothy"
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom