What's new

Gillette Old Type

I received a Gillette Old Type head on a Windrose Handle from Delta Echo for Christmas. Today was my first ever shave using an Old Tyoe head. Why did Gillette ever stop making this razor? It reminds me of my Fatip Piccolo without the blade alignment issues, once I found the shallow angle it was a smooth efficient shave

Consumer markets are never static, and Gillette was more or less forced to change the razor in order to keep selling them. As you noticed, Gillette got it right the first time, but there are some design problems with the OLD -- mainly the cap is too thin and subject to damage from slight drops that results in very rough shaves. It bends or the corners get dinged and the blade is no longer clamped properly.

I also think the shaving public got used to safety razors, and developed a taste for milder shaving ones -- the original purchasers of the OLD by and large started using straight razors.

Good thing Gillette sold something on the order of 25 million OLDs, though -- they survive pretty well and there are plenty for us!

I LOVE the Old Type. My favorite razor. The Single Ring is very nice when you learn how to account for the thinner cap. And I have been buying Old Types with cracked handles for cheap just for the head so I can make Frankenrazors with them. Paired with a Ikon Bulldog handle is just perfect.

The Gillette Old is one of my regular razors. I like the thin cap, as it offers more maneuverability compared to the thick chunky modern razors.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Consumer markets are never static, and Gillette was more or less forced to change the razor in order to keep selling them. As you noticed, Gillette got it right the first time, but there are some design problems with the OLD -- mainly the cap is too thin and subject to damage from slight drops that results in very rough shaves. It bends or the corners get dinged and the blade is no longer clamped properly.

I also think the shaving public got used to safety razors, and developed a taste for milder shaving ones -- the original purchasers of the OLD by and large started using straight razors.

Good thing Gillette sold something on the order of 25 million OLDs, though -- they survive pretty well and there are plenty for us!

It makes total sense. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Kindly,
Adam

Caution: The Gillette Old Type razor potentially can have alignment issues when mated with a modern post 1930 blade.

The original blade was two holed, that allowed the round posts on the inner cap to go through. That was a very secure system with great alignment integrity.

I think you're right. It seems that if the teeth on the base plate get bent or uneven, or the cap gets bent, even slightly, gaps can open up between the blade edge and the base plate, and the razor, somewhat aggressive to begin with, becomes even more aggressive, though it may still shave well enough. (I'd think that significant gaps between the blade edge and the cap would make the razor unusable.) As MntnMan62 well knows, I bought a refurbished and replated Old Type head from Razor Emporium, a vendor some here have had negative experiences with. Sure enough, the underside of their cap was hollowed out, causing a bow in the blade edge and a close but very aggressive shave. But their base plate seemed just about flawless, so I paired that with a cheap Old Type from ebay with a base plate that had obviously bent and uneven teeth, but a cap that looked good and unabused, especially on the underside. Sure enough, the blade edge was almost perfectly straight on both sides, and the shave was still close but smoother.

So in sum, it seems to me from my limited experience, with common damage and wear that may not easily be visible to the naked eye, an Old Type may still give a close shave, but not as smooth and comfortable as might be ideal for some. I'm sure many of you have mint condition examples that are wonderful in every way. I've got my Old Type, for now anyway.

mozartman is correct. The Old Type head I bought from Razor Emporium had a defective cap. Two of the corners on one end of the top cap were banged in such a way that they created little nubs or bumps that completely changed how the top cap held the blade to the bottom cap. As a result, my shaves were very bloody indeed. This coming from someone who loves my single rings and ball end old types that are not damaged. I think it can be said that ANY razor head where the top cap or bottom plate is damaged or modified from its original condition will most likely significantly change how the razor shaves, most likely in a negative direction. I believe the reason so many open comb razors have bent end teeth is because back in the day, guys would bang the razor on the side of the sink for a reason I cannot fathom. Maybe to remove excess lather? I don't know. But that practice also caused the corners of the top cap to become damaged as well. This makes it essential that if you buy an Old Type you want to be sure that the top cap and bottom plates are not bowed or bent in any way and that there are no raised areas on the corners that were not intended to be there by design such as on a NEW. I sent my Old Type head back to Razor Emporium and they refunded my money. But I find it exceedingly bad business to not fix any imperfections before re-plating the parts. Old Types with cracked handles are plentiful and can be had for relatively nominal dollars. And they can offer an amazing shave.

The "nubs" on the corners are from the cap being dropped onto a tile floor. There is always a flat spot on the cover affected, at least on my razors.

The thin cap will also bend when dropped, also preventing the blade from being clamped well. All easy to fix, even without replacing the cap.

The "nubs" on the corners are from the cap being dropped onto a tile floor. There is always a flat spot on the cover affected, at least on my razors.

The thin cap will also bend when dropped, also preventing the blade from being clamped well. All easy to fix, even without replacing the cap.

Agreed. But not so easily fixed when someone has re-plated the parts without fixing those issues and then sells it to you for $35. That’s just plain irresponsible.

Gillette got it right the first time. I received an Old Type the other day (which I purchased from the bay) and it shaves me as well as some of my more aggressive razors. I like the blade feel this razor gives, the blade doesn't feel too bitey with a fresh blade after a hot shower. I just paired it with a fresh Crystal blade and TOBS Coconut, the shave was fantastic. My Tech is nice, but the Old Type is more my style. :)

They only made the "New" because the patent was running out on the three hole blade, they had to change to a new design that wouldn't use the "OLD" blade so they could hook people into using the "New" blade. They gave away "Goodwill" razors with the purchase of the "New" blades, and of course they were made so that they wouldn't accept the "OLD" blade.
The OLD is the perfect DE razor, the best ever made, and IMO the only true Gillette razor.

The old type was the first DE razor I tried. It started my RAD. I have 7 old types of various years. I prefer the thin cap olds, they seem a bit less aggressive to me. I purchased one silver colored old with an H serial number. I was very surprised when I received it that it did not have any cracks in the handle. While cleaning it, I heard something inside the handle. I turned the handle upside down and out dropped a used wooden match stick! No idea why it was in there but after I was done cleaning the razor, I put the match stick back in the handle. Why you ask? No idea, just seemed like the thing to do. I use this razor on occasion, match stick and all. I really like the olds.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I rotate a razor and blade every six shaves. Since Christmas, I've used two different slants, two different Aristocrats, at least one NEW SC, one NEW Deluxe and one NEW Improved ... Finally switched back to an OLD yesterday.

The OLD is king! The close shave, the delicate touch needed is like driving a Ferrari. It's just so.

AA

I was going to shave with my 1911 single ring this weekend (for King Gillette weekend) but noticed when the handle was properly snugged on a Personna med prep, I could grab the blade by the end tabs and wiggle it rather easily. Rather than cut a shim I went ahead and used my NEW SC instead. It's just something that probably always was the case but I just noticed it now.

I attribute this to the .004" thickness of today's blades versus the .006" thickness of the original 3 hole carbon steel blades. Next weekend I'll have it shimmed up snugly for the shave.

proxy.php

Top Bottom