What's new

Meerschaum PIF: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

The Good:
Two vintage unsmoked Turkish (pretty sure) block meer pipes, in the original case. I have no date on them, but I am guessing mid-60's to maybe late 70's era.

IMG_20180218_1436507.jpg

The Bad:
These are using a stinger with a threaded insert for attaching the stem to the bowl. Many hate having a stinger on pipes, and the threaded insert can turn in the shank if not careful, causing the stem to not line up anymore without some tweaking.

IMG_20180218_1437455.jpg

The Ugly:
One of the shanks has a hairline crack in it. I'm thinking it won't affect it in the long run at this point if left as is, but it could also be fixed with a metal band just to be sure, or stabilized in some other way (epoxy/glue?) by someone. The winner of the PIF can smoke it as is till it's no longer smokeable, invest in getting a metal band put on, glue/epoxy it themselves to keep it smokeable longer, or even just use it as a display pipe... I have no concerns or requests on it. It'll be your pipe, do with it as you want.

IMG_20180218_1438550.jpg

The Details:
The PIF is open till this coming Thursday night sometime, and I will strive to get it in the mail by Friday afternoon. If not, then it will go out Monday (sadly I am booked solid Saturday with stuff from like 7am till 9pm, no way to post office on that weekend). Winner will be random number generated.

The PIF is open to anyone and everyone who has a desire to win it. If you want to see if you can fix the one with the crack, join the PIF. If either/both of the pipes call out to you, join the PIF. If you have no meers and really want to give some a good try, join the PIF. Sadly, I will limit this to CONUS, since the shipping cost elsewhere is prohibitive (and the recipient paying duty on the incoming package can be as well).

I join, I'm in.
Lovely smooth and supple bowls.
Perhaps a couple of brass rings will stabilize the one and keep both as a set.
Thank you for the offer.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Oofah. Somebody is going to get lucky, and not in the to which I usually refer.

great looking pipes, but not in. I have given up tobacco at this time and I feel it would probably get used if won.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What the heck...I'm in.

Been looking at Meers for a couple of years but never got one.

Top Bottom