What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

First time removing and setting a knot. Used clear silicone in case I decide on a different knot. I can always redo with epoxy later but hope the silicone will hold up to lathering. I'm interested in any thoughts on this, especially if you used a water proof silicone before. Said "rain ready" in 30 minutes.
Looked like Spaghetti BEFORE
IMG_20180117_171356352.jpg
IMG_20180117_171422715.jpg

AFTER with a Maggard 2 Band Synthetic
IMG_20180219_113331109.jpg
IMG_20180219_113313557.jpg

That and my daughter found out that the Badgers don't live through the process. She wants to be a vet one day, so you can imagine how that went.

Badgers aren’t killed to get their hair. Badgers are killed to get their meat. They are a food source in China. Using the hair afterward is utilizing a resource so it doesn’t go to waste. May be semantics, but I think it’s an important distinction.

Sent from the Spider Phone

Here’s my new addition to the family.

proxy.php
proxy.php

It’s an un-numbered Rubberset 400 that was knotted with a declaration B4 knot. Imo, this hair and the current m&f Finest are the 2 best knots on the market today. I don’t think I’ve seen a prettier knot to top it all off. Scott gives these handles the respect they deserve when knotting them.

Super grateful to dfoulk for connecting me with this handle. Thanks David. I’m so stoked to own this brush.

Cheers and happy Saturday!

20180427_182051.jpg 20180427_182008 (1).jpg I saw this brush a few weeks ago while looking for old razors in an antique shop. I didn’t snap it up as I had no idea of its value. Fast forward through some research on a vintage brush in my possession and my realization what I had passed up. Yesterday I was back through that town and stopped by the shop to see if by chance the brush was still there. It was even on sale! So, now I have a project!

View attachment 879657 View attachment 879656 I saw this brush a few weeks ago while looking for old razors in an antique shop. I didn’t snap it up as I had no idea of its value. Fast forward through some research on a vintage brush in my possession and my realization what I had passed up. Yesterday I was back through that town and stopped by the shop to see if by chance the brush was still there. It was even on sale! So, now I have a project!
Win ! Win ! Congrats

They do turn out to be fantastic brushes, I have 2 i restored both one has a boar knot and the other a silvertip....

But a great score keep us updated on your progress in restoring it please

I'm in, by the way. Just another obsession. From what I've read, these take a 24mm knot, correct? I'm thinking of ordering a badger knot from Old Town Shaving as they are on sale. Any opinions on those knots?

And I will keep you all updated on the progress. I will be slow I'm sure.

Hmmmm every time I come in here I have to get mine out and polish them up well a clean up, just wish there was a way to keep the shine so they dont dull....

24mm knot are spot on you can get a 26 in, but they are a struggle and you have to alter the cap to fit. But they do clean up nice you wont regret it at all, do you plan on splitting the top from the bottom if so you will need 2 belt wrench's so you dont mark it.

I'm going to say it depends on the knot in question. My 25 fit like it was made for it. I have a 24 I couldn't have jammed in if I had to. Mine has been shiny for months now.

I'm going to say it depends on the knot in question. My 25 fit like it was made for it. I have a 24 I couldn't have jammed in if I had to. Mine has been shiny for months now.

+1 it depends on the knot.....
Mine was shiny but a dull shine now they are back all polished up again should last another year.

20180428_224552.jpg

The number 3 as you can see it has some deep pits just in that one place but working on them

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
View attachment 879657 View attachment 879656 I saw this brush a few weeks ago while looking for old razors in an antique shop. I didn’t snap it up as I had no idea of its value. Fast forward through some research on a vintage brush in my possession and my realization what I had passed up. Yesterday I was back through that town and stopped by the shop to see if by chance the brush was still there. It was even on sale! So, now I have a project!
Give the knot a SPA Day and try it out. Those old knots are still amazing.

The knot in this brush is worn down and very brittle. I'm pretty sure there is no resurrecting it. I'm looking forward to the restoration adventure.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
All right all of you enablers, the silicone is setting and I hope to join the club tomorrow. I was not sure about badger, boar, or synthetic, so I did the obvious thing. Pictures soon!

Top Bottom