What's new

Clog-pruf was not blood proof

So last week I got a package with three shiny new (to me) SEs, a Clog-pruf, a G-Bar and a Micromatic OC. All shiny and in super nice condition. I've had a Damaskeene for a while. It's not in pretty condition, but has always shaved well for me so I thought I had no problems.

Well, the first shave with the Clog-pruf seemed smooth enough. Until a few minutes after the shave when I noticed all the different spots where I was bleeding! Overconfident and not careful enough I suppose, but I've rarely cut myself at all before.

Now I'm quite trepidatious about trying the Micromatic OC! Maybe I'll go with the G-Bar next...

CP even though it shares geometry with the MMOC is not known to be a killer, I'd make sure the blade is fully secured. Flat on your face angle and less than no pressure shouldn't make you bleed..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So last week I got a package with three shiny new (to me) SEs, a Clog-pruf, a G-Bar and a Micromatic OC. All shiny and in super nice condition. I've had a Damaskeene for a while. It's not in pretty condition, but has always shaved well for me so I thought I had no problems.

Well, the first shave with the Clog-pruf seemed smooth enough. Until a few minutes after the shave when I noticed all the different spots where I was bleeding! Overconfident and not careful enough I suppose, but I've rarely cut myself at all before.

Now I'm quite trepidatious about trying the Micromatic OC! Maybe I'll go with the G-Bar next...

Ride the cap, or just off the cap.

That's odd. The Clog Pruf is considered to be the mildest of the Micromatics. However, with all of them you must have the shallowest of angles to the face. Don't be afraid of the MMOC--if used properly, it gives very smooth, comfortable, and close shaves.

Yeah, I'm sure it's my own fault. I went with the G-bar today with no problems. I'll try the MMOC or Clog-pruf again tomorrow.

That's odd. The Clog Pruf is considered to be the mildest of the Micromatics. However, with all of them you must have the shallowest of angles to the face. Don't be afraid of the MMOC--if used properly, it gives very smooth, comfortable, and close shaves.

and here I always thought it was the "bullet tip" that was the mildest?

Brother Jake,

I would try again with a fresh blade, good prep, and focus while shaving. The Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf is a medium aggression razor. It definitely is not known for being hostile. I would compare it to say a Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed.

BTW I would compare the aggression of the Gem Micromatic Open Comb with the Gillette Red Tip Super Speed; the Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf with the Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed; and the Gem Micromatic Flying Wing (aka the Bullet Tip) with the Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed.

Your Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf dates from 1941 to 1949. Please note that the lower case p in "pruf" is correct.

Well, the first shave with the MMOC was without incident. Nice close shave, no blood. I think the Clog-pruf incident was just a lack of focus (and being the first shave on the blade probably didn't help).

I have no idea which of the four SEs I like best yet.

I find CP more aggressive compared to MMOC. But it's not an overly aggressive razor.
CP is absolutely my favorite. I get amazing head shaves every time.

I've used the CP and MMOC a number of times now. Still not sure which I prefer, but I'm getting good results from both. And the Damaskeene is still great. I wanted to narrow this down to one Gem razor to keep, but it's not so easy!

for me the clogpruf is the best of all the different gem razors I have, Just the right amount of aggressiveness and very maneuverable considering a lot of the older Gems aren't because of their bulge like design.
proxy.php

Nice case o' razors!
thanks, I don't have like some other people in the thousands of razors but I consider my self slow collector and I believe my vintage collection is coming to an end with few more razors that I want to acquire, I have the British AR #15 OC on its way to me, this one along with the #15 SB was not so easy to get a hold of at normal asking price, lucky me I don't care for having the razors in their original cases. My other 2 cases of 3 year collecting

proxy.php

proxy.php

About the only time I can recall getting a bad shave with a Clog-Pruf was when I was in a rush and didn't have the blade seated behind the stops properly. One side was sitting on top of the blade stop while the other side was where it was supposed to be.

I thought it was a little rough but just thought it was simply time for a new blade. The next day I grabbed my glasses and saw what had happened. No wonder, duh. That will teach me to be in too much of a rush when shaving. lol.

Top Bottom