What's new

Should I buy an AR-15 now? (Politically neutral please!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all seen recent events on the news. So in light of those events, should I buy an AR-15 now or wait and see what transpires? NOTE: Please keep it in a politically neutral zone, I don't want this to be deleted. A simple yes or no will suffice. Thank you.

They are cheap now. I don't see them going up anytime soon. I also dont see them getting much cheaper. Buy one if you want one. If you don't truly want or need one, save your money. Closets and gun safes are full of unused or lightly used ones that will be for sale later.

I don't see why now would be a bad time to purchase any firearm. My only concern is my budget when considering any purchase. Prices on the AR platform are pretty reasonable so I would purchase one if it fits both your wants and your budget.

Sent via Tapatalk

M

member 119848

If you can get one buy one.
I´d rather be 7 years too early as 1 day too late for such important things.

I know what you're asking, but I have a question: Why do you want an AR-15? If it's because you like shooting them, or want it for what you hunt, why not? But if the only reason is fear than you might not be able to buy one in the future, and you only intend to keep it in your gun safe, then why buy one at all?

No, I'm not going political here. I don't get the vapors because a firearm is semi-automatic and happens to be black (besides, you can get AR-15s in all sorts of colors). But I see firearms as tools. For my part, I'd prefer an AR-10 because of hog, deer, and bear. And if you want to collect one just as some of us do razors, I have nothing to say against that, either. But if it's simply to have one for fear you may not be able to buy one later, and nothing more, you may want to reconsider.

ARs are Barbie for Men. Otherwise a nice bolt action is cheaper and more accurate. As to the timing, I work in a gun store and sales of all guns are still poor. I wouldn't rush out and buy.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you want one, get one. There are so many out there, both in the hands of gun owners and in the supply line, that even if there was a shift in the political winds, they will still be available for a while. If you get an AR, I would be more concerned with the future availability of high capacity magazines, if that is your thing. But that would apply to all hi-cap magazines. There are plenty of magazines available right now, but that supply would probably dry up faster than the supply of guns if/when another panic buying spree occurs.
They probably won't get any cheaper than they are now. As @ bberg100 said, they're Barbies for men, meaning that it is a modular platform that can be dressed up or down as fits your purpose. Upper receivers are easily swapped out to change calibers for different purposes. As previously mentioned, what you intend to use it for would be the biggest factor in deciding whether to buy one. Would it be appropriate for the intended task?

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have guns and enjoy shooting, however, I do not see any need for a person to own an assault rifle.

M

member 119848

I have guns and enjoy shooting, however, I do not see any need for a person to own an assault rifle.
I am not an expert, but I think the AR–15 is semi–auto only.
An assault weapon would be full auto like the millitary M–16.

There really is no defined "assault rifle", it is all in the eyes of the beholder. AR stands for Armalite Rifle, the original purveyor of many rifles to the government and civilians that all were AR-something. We sell the AR-7, a collapsible 22LR survival rifle, was standard issue in aircrew survival kits until the mid 80s. The AR-10 and AR-15 models are most familiar to civies.

I'm not a big fan of the AR-15, great for tinkering and burning through ammo, and little else. Col Whelen stated "Only accurate rifles are interesting" and I agree 100% with him. I've shot many AR style firearms, many a few $K, and none can out shoot a $350 Ruger American.

But, if the AR is what you want, by all means go get one. Everyone has a different interest in shooting sports.

If you actually want an AR, now is as good a time as any. They are at historically low prices (10 years ago if you told me the AR would be cheaper than the Mini-14 I'd have asked what you were smoking) and there is a ton of selection (pretty much every gun maker makes one). If you are worried about a possible ban with the current outcry, well, then get one, but only if you really want one. If it is something you've always wanted but it has been on the back burner due to other wants or needs, then sure, why not? They may or many not see a ban, so get one while you can (many in MD did the same before the last MD gun ban- I wish I got a Springfield M1A before they were banned, but I couldn't afford one). Even if there is no ban, you got a rifle you always wanted, and if there is a ban you got it while you could (assuming they grandfather in existing owners, they have in past bans, no guarantee they will in a future hypothetical ban). If you are only thinking about getting one due to a possible ban, save your money for something you really want. Assuming there is a future ban, most likely the Mini-14, M1 Carbine, M1A and other more PC semi-auto rifles with removable mags will still be legal and available if you decide you want something like that in the future.

A AR-15 is not an assault rifle, does it resemble one yes it does but that’s where it stops, I have had an AR for several years and wanted one but then I have several other semi auto rifles that are larger caliber, if you are wanting an AR to target shoot or hunt with them by all means get one but getting one just because you think they may not be avaialable later is the wrong reason

Great time to buy one as the market is flooded and prices probably won’t drop much further. Recommend BCM.
Would recommend buying an AK as well if you don’t own one. Buy a WASR-10.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When I thought the AR-10 might be banned, I bought an M1A instead, thinking that it might be more PC, not having a pistol grip, having a wood stock, etc. I had always wanted one, but couldn't justify the expense before that. I still want an AR-10 of some sort, but I don't feel pressured to buy one at this time.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When I thought the AR-10 might be banned, I bought an M1A instead, thinking that it might be more PC, not having a pistol grip, having a wood stock, etc. I had always wanted one, but couldn't justify the expense before that. I still want an AR-10 of some sort, but I don't feel pressured to buy one at this time.

I also think the .308 cartridge is more versatile than the .223. If I were to buy the M1A would be my preference followed up by the AR-10. I would love an M1 Garand as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom