What's new

Quijote's wet shaving journey

Straight Shave #18

Keen Kutter K11/Tech - Polisilver (7)
Stirling Boar
K Shave Worx Beechwood Forest
Fine Platinum

First of all, this is a great scent and probably one of the strongest soap scents that I have come across. That being said, it doesn't match anything in my AS stable. So, I just threw on another great scent. However, the performance for me was not as good as the scent. I may also need to dial it in a bit too. But that is also good news. It means that I shouldn't be afraid of using other soaps besides my top 2 and still get a good straight shave. I can add variety back into my shaves.

The shave was very good. I feel very confident with the blade in my right hand, but I am still a little apprehensive with my left. I think I may have figured out why it feels better in my right than my left today though. When I am holding the razor with my right, the top of the tang is in the crook of my knuckle, on my left, it is off by about a 1/4", that is allowing it to not be quite as secure. That may also make it easier to use my Torrey too. I am going to have to work on locating that just right to see if it makes a difference. It also doesn't feel quite right on my second pass when I get close to my mouth on my cheek. That spot I have to believe is just going to take practice. I nicked the bottom of my nose with the very tip of the razor again, but other than that, no blood sighted. I haven't used the DE on my face for 4 days now. And while not quite as smooth, I am doing one less pass. Once I am able to be comfortable with the full 3 passes, I have no doubt that I will be even smoother than I am with the DE. All in due time though.

A la Mancha, this weekend was a busy one. Saturday, we got up and took the kids roller skating. This is the first time I had used the old style 2x2 skates since elementary school and I have to say, they behave completely different than ice skates or inline skates. It took me a few minutes before I was able to move well on them. By the end though, my daughter was calling me a show off. The kids had a great time though. It was my son's first time on roller skates and he doesn't do anything slow, so he was trying to go fast and kept having is feet fly out from under him. However, when he wasn't falling, he was actually skating faster than my wife. My son is the dangerous combination of being very athletic, but not having good balance. I can't tell you how many times he has been going full speed and clipped one of the corners in the house which caused him to go down. One time he was going so fast, after he hit the wall, it flipped him and he almost landed on his head. I swear, he landed 5 feet from where he hit. On Sunday, the sun finally came out after about a week of cloudy, rainy weather, so we took advantage of it and went for a walk. My son wanted to watch the Olympics, so we told him he could when we got home. Unfortunately, we got home in the last 10 minutes of the day's coverage. So, there is always today for him since he is off for school.

First of all glad you used the K Shave Worx. I have been waiting for you to review it and I didn't want to influence your opinion of the soap. I get very good results from K Shave Worx. I consider it a Tier 2 Box 4 on my rating scale. View media item 57040However I will say that I get better results when I can lather it from a full tub. The scents are outstanding though!

My son got roller skates for his birthday he has been itching to get outside and try them... sadly mother nature has different plans. Perhaps I should him to rink.

Funny enough, I was thinking about the same, I was thinking 4 or 5. I was going to use a couple more times to get more of a feel for it. It is not a poor performer, but the scent is amazing. I have also been spoiled with great performing soaps from the beginning. I think my worst soap ever is Proraso Green. And it is not bad at all.

Good Stuff Don, and when you can somewhat predict or feel that about to happen you have graduated to the next level and it become pretty smooth sailing from there, nice read

Good read, Don. I tried the K Shave Worx brute clone. It smelled very nice, but it wasn't a very good performer with the water at my house.

Straight Shave #19

Keen Kutter K11/Tech - Polisilver (8)
Stirling Boar
Stirling Iced Coffee
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest Salve

Good morning everyone! I went with the Iced Coffee today because I had never used one of Stirling's scented or mentholated shaving soaps. I have used a mentholated AS by them, but this is the first soap. And with the temperatures reaching 75 today, the menthol is welcomed. With all the talk of Stirling's scent strength, I expected this to me a little stronger, but it was still pleasant. The performance is typical Stirling. The menthol level was just enough to let you know it was there. All in all, a very refreshing shave.

The K 11 performed beautifully as well. With my first pass almost ingrained in me, I put a little more focus on how my fingers are positioned on the blade. I tried using the thickest part of the pad on my finger and it seems to have helped both hands actually. I didn't feel like the blade could flip a different direction at any time. The results on my face were a great DFS that I could certainly live with. I did spring one minor leak that quickly stopped and is not even visible now. I did not try to tackle the neck yet, that is coming soon. I also realized today that I have been avoiding using the heel for some reason and that there are definitely a few areas where that part of the blade is much easier to control.

A la Mancha, I may add another razor to the stable today. I am going to go at lunch to look at one that was at my local antique store. It was there last time and is absolutely gorgeous. More details on that later if it is still there.

Great read and shave Don!
Nice and steady continued progress on the straight too!

I've yet to find a decent straight in the wild at a price that I feel they are worth.
Most the shops here think that if they are still in one piece then they are worth $75.00, regardless if 1/4 of the blade is missing.

Nice couple of shaves. I haven't been on roller skates since high school when it was more about watching who had someone to dance with then the "couples" song came on. Don't think I'd be willing to experience a fall from them now!

Great read and shave Don!
Nice and steady continued progress on the straight too!

I've yet to find a decent straight in the wild at a price that I feel they are worth.
Most the shops here think that if they are still in one piece then they are worth $75.00, regardless if 1/4 of the blade is missing.
I bought my first 2 straights at this place and I was able to talk them down to a great price. This one I am planning to buy today is a little under market value. They do have one other that is very expensive, but it is a Wade and Butcher that Ihaven't seen one that is similar.

Last edited:
Well, I just got back from the antique store and someone beat me too them. Oh well. There will be more.

Good reads, Don, and good progress. You and I are at exactly the same number of straight razor shaves, as I had my 19th shave this morning, as well. I have been using the straight razor Monday through Saturday and using DE on Sundays. If you use the straight every day you will surpass me this weekend. I plan to continue this pattern for a while and see how it goes.

Good reads, Don, and good progress. You and I are at exactly the same number of straight razor shaves, as I had my 19th shave this morning, as well. I have been using the straight razor Monday through Saturday and using DE on Sundays. If you use the straight every day you will surpass me this weekend. I plan to continue this pattern for a while and see how it goes.
Thanks. I plan on using the straight daily, so I may pull ahead on total count, but it is only a number. The important part is that we are both learning.
Nice Stuff Don
Thanks Dave.

Straight Shave #20

Keen Kutter K11/Tech - Polisilver (9)
Sorrentino Tuxedo
Mike's Natural Rose and Cedarwood
Fine Italian Citrus

After using the boar for a couple of days, this brush felt like rubbing my face with a pillow. The shave was very good. DFS with no nicks or weepers. I kept having to fight myself on finger positioning, but I think once I retrain myself, the shaves will get even better. I still have yet to tackle the neck with the second pass. I was going to attempt it today, but I ran out of time. What more can be said about this soap? It is great. Unfortunately, it is also gone. It is definitely on my must buy list. I currently have 5 soaps on that list, so it has some great company.

Have a great day everyone! Thanks for reading.

So I finally googled Keen Kutter K11 to see what you've been shaving with.

No wonder you're having issues...
upload_2018-2-21_7-27-47.png

Top Bottom