What's new

H.L. Thater Premium Boar Brushes

Ciao @Cino

Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering which is the premium boar brush by Omega. Is there any better than this model?
"Best" is relative. I don't think that the Thäter is better than the Italian Flag (IF). Nor do I think that the IF is better than the Thäter. They are different brushes designed with different philosophies. The Thäter is designed more like a badger while the IF is more like a barber's brush.

I have also an Omega 20102 which, I think, is the same knot as the'49, although I've read some reviews claiming that it is better bristle. Though the least expensive of the 3, it is also a wonderful brush, just different. I personally wouldn't part with any of them.

To answer your question, in my limited experience, the IF is the premium offering by Omega and could be considered their best (at least in the US). It is the most unique but also requires the most break-in to make it behave.

I still love this brush. It is becoming my go-to brush. Certainly the best boar brush I have ever had.

Beehive Thater.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm sold on the brush and have one in transit, but I have a question.

You guys deserve some recognition from the brotherhood.

EnablersRUs AVOID RESTRAINT.jpg

When it comes to using this brush every day are there any drying issues?

I live in a pretty dry house in a pretty humid climate. I rinse my brush very well after using it. I gently shake out loose water. I blot on a towel the edges of the knot. I rub the tips of the bristles on a towel to dry them. I dry the handle.

upload_2018-2-17_15-54-44.png

How dry is the brush the next day? Any issues with drying at all? I ask because I'm considering this brush for a Fixed Four. I don't expect any brush to be truly bone dry in 24 hours. Probably not in weeks really.

Also, on the Fixed Four subject, how quickly does the brush break in, and how much am I going to regret using this brushbone if I jump into a Fixed Four with it having not had time to already break it in.

Thanks for any help and advice,

Jim

Last edited:
Mine seems to be dry enough to use the next day. Of course like you said maybe deep down in the middle it is still damp. As far as break in with this brush, like most Omegas it feels very nice even on the first use but this one even more so has that broken in feeling right away. I think it's because of the premium bristles they used with it.
You should be able to pull off the Fixed Four with it. I am.

One day at a barber shop in Madrid i saw an Omega 48 In a glass of water,,,,tha barber told me that it is always there....
I tried to leave my Omega in the water for the whole week and used it every single day ,,,,,i do not know on the long run what will happen but Believe me it is soooo soft and not floppy ....you should try...(once it is broken in)

Tam

I've been contemplating a Thater boar bristle brush for some time All these good recommendations have not stopped my desire to put my hard earned down on one. I know I'll end up with one.

I've been contemplating a Thater boar bristle brush for some time All these good recommendations have not stopped my desire to put my hard earned down on one. I know I'll end up with one.
You will not regret it! I haven't used a badger since getting it. It seems like a lot to spend on a boar brush but it is well worth it in my opinion and you'll know it the first time you use it. It feels like it costs a lot of dough so don't fight it.. LOL

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You will not regret it! I haven't used a badger since getting it. It seems like a lot to spend on a boar brush but it is well worth it in my opinion and you'll know it the first time you use it. It feels like it costs a lot of dough so don't fight it.. LOL

Do you use the Thater every day? Wow! It is dry for sure?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Do you use the Thater every day? Wow! It is dry for sure?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim
No I don’t use it every day and my Shave routine changes week to week. Sometimes i shave every day and sometimes i go a day without shaving so the brush is always dry when I use it. I’ve got 3 other boars to choose from with another one on its way so there’s always a dry one ready to use. With that said the Thäter is my favorite brush of any in my den right now and I haven’t even used a badger or synthetic since getting my first Boar, that’s how much I like them especially the Thater as I feel it’s in a league of its own as far as Boar brushes goes. So if your thinking of putting one in your den I’d be the first to say don’t hesitate. I’ve been calling it the Paradigm of brushes right now as to me it’s as close to perfect as possible. Of course to me. Others may not feel the same.

Great shaves my friend!

Frank

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim
No I don’t use it every day and my Shave routine changes week to week. Sometimes i shave every day and sometimes i go a day without shaving so the brush is always dry when I use it. I’ve got 3 other boars to choose from with another one on its way so there’s always a dry one ready to use. With that said the Thäter is my favorite brush of any in my den right now and I haven’t even used a badger or synthetic since getting my first Boar, that’s how much I like them especially the Thater as I feel it’s in a league of its own as far as Boar brushes goes. So if your thinking of putting one in your den I’d be the first to say don’t hesitate. I’ve been calling it the Paradigm of brushes right now as to me it’s as close to perfect as possible. Of course to me. Others may not feel the same.

Great shaves my friend!

Frank

Thanks, Frank.

I already have a Thater in transit. You're not the only guy bragging on the brush. I suspect I'm going to really like the Thater Premium Boar. I'll find out how quickly mine dries.

Hard to imagine not using some of my badgers, but I already like a good, soft, broken in boar. The Thater will be a great addition if it's half as good as everybody says.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I use to just use synthetic brushes. I really love them but since I got the Thater I now use synthetics just when I use a shave stick for face-lathering. When I use a bowl I much prefer the Thater. I just love the way it looks. I'm like a proud parent, I keep showing a picture of my baby. Love it.

Thater-Fatip.JPG

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's a very well made brush. So far it still takes quite a bit more time than my SOC to build lather, but I'm expecting it to improve with the break-in.

I believe you can have a dry brush in 24 hours in a very dry climate if you simply change one part of your routine: the gentle shakes. Give the brush 4-8 pretty good whips - maybe in the shower area, as water will fly - and keep it where there is good air circulation (i.e., not in a cabinet).

I find that 2 or 3 good snaps of the wrist will get about 90% of the water out. Then I wipe it on a towel a few times. That should do it just fine.

My house stays at about 50% humidity. I usually dry my brushes on a shelf that's not in the bathroom after brushing it on a towel. The Thäter seems to dry pretty well overnight. It's a very plush boar and it breaks in faster than any boar I've tried. Until it does break in you may want to use it for bowl lathering. Bowl lathering seems to make a new brush more tolerable.

I think mine was plenty soft within 10 shaves but it never sucked, even on first use.

I find the same to be true about most Omega brushes. When I first got my Omega Pro 49 it felt very nice even on the first use. The Thater is even softer.

I have one of the Thater premium boar brushes, and after a week of use, the jury is still out. It's a nice enough brush, but I do wonder where my $85 went.

The handle (butterscotch beehive) is just right. But I want more time with the knot before making drawing any firm conclusions about it. It's not as dense or stiff as my Omega Pro 48 was at this stage, and my Omega Italian Flag has a knot that seems similar with at least as good a handle. The Thater has somewhat softer feeling bristles than other new boar brushes. And a week of use is not enough to get to know a brush. I'll judge it after 30 or so uses. But after a week, I'd have to say I slightly prefer my much less expensive Omega boars. Once the Pro 48 broke in properly, it became a truly wonderful brush. Maybe the Thater will do the same.

But $85... I think I'm always going to wonder about the value.

BTW, I live in a very arid climate. So it's no problem for me to use the same brush every day if I feel like it. After 12 hours, even the thickest knot is dry.

Thanks to the OP. This brush is intriguing to say the least. I’m a huge boar fan anyway. My favorites being my Semogues, particularly my 1305, and IB 1305, and my SOC. And also my Sterling boar! And that one was a cheapy for sure, worth ten times the amount paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for all the drying information, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

I now have my Zenith Short and Scrubby and my Proraso Pro. Already started the break in process with both. The Zenith whips up lather very, very well (just during the shampoo with hand soap, palm lathering). Neither seem terribly dense. Both seem decent enough, but only actually using them tells the tale.

I will probably use one tomorrow morning.

Oh, I keep my brushes in the room next to the bathroom which is considerably drier. They always seem dry at 12 hours, but I'm probably going to do some brush weighing to see how dry they actually are.

I used one and only one brush for my December to Remember Fixed Four, the Stirling fan-shaped, butterscotch handled 24mm fan. It's actually 25mm. It seem very dry in 24 hours, but was it really?

To me, there is not issue with drying except during a Fixed Four. Otherwise, I usually go at least a few days before repeating even my favorite brushes. I had to buy though a second MS 30mm silvertip fan badger because I want to use it more often; it is that good!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks to the OP. This brush is intriguing to say the least. I’m a huge boar fan anyway. My favorites being my Semogues, particularly my 1305, and IB 1305, and my SOC. And also my Sterling boar! And that one was a cheapy for sure, worth ten times the amount paid.

Then you have to try this Thater brush. It will be the best boar you ever used.

I'm sold on the brush and have one in transit, but I have a question.

When it comes to using this brush every day are there any drying issues?

Also, on the Fixed Four subject, how quickly does the brush break in, and how much am I going to regret using this brushbone if I jump into a Fixed Four with it having not had time to already break it in.

Thanks for any help and advice,

Jim

Jim, which Thater handle did you buy?

Top Bottom