What's new

First Shaves with a Single Edge

Well with my new single edge shavette razor in hand it was time to dip toes into the world of straight edge shaving. I've been a cartridge shaver for years now and have been very satisfied with it but I wanted to step up my game.

The plan - Going in the plan was simple; start with one area, perfect it then move onto the next area down the road.

What happened - That plan went out the window when my first cheek came out incredibly smooth. Since it went so well and seemingly on a roll I did my neck as well on that side. Encouraged with a good shave on that side I figured I would give the other side a try with my non-dominant left hand. Sure enough that side came out nice and smooth, actually a closer shave than my right side. I tackled the upper lip with good results. The remaining area was my lower lip and chin. That is where things went off the rails resulting in my first cut (there were a couple of other nicks but those were more reopening of nicks from my dull cartridges). Unable to get the angles right and happy with what I had accomplished so far I called it a day and finished up that area with my cartridge.

The results - Well for a first shave with a single edge shavette, single pass, with the grain - I'm going to give myself an A+. A smooth close shave with only a couple nicks and one cut on the first try. The shave while not on par with where I was able to get my shaves with the cartridge it was very similar to what my old shave was before I started to learn the proper way and techniques of shaving. Mrs. Monkey says it is actually closer, smoother than those shaves. This now my baseline to improve from.

What went wrong - My shaving routine seemed pretty locked in with Proraso White Preshave and hot towel, Williams Mug Shaving Soap and Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm. The single edge shave reveal short comings with the mug shaving soap. I had already made to decision to try different shaving soap before but now it would seem to be a necessity. Since it is a relatively new puck and I'm cheap I'm going to keep working with it and the lather to hopefully improve the results until I buy something else. For newbs out there this why you can't lock into one routine - changing one thing (the razor in this case) changes the results of other products, means changes to the routine to get back/improve on previous results

The plan going forward - I will work with the Williams Mug to improve its performance. For the shave itself I will continue with the single passes with the grain until I'm satisfied I have the muscle memory locked in and I can get my lower lip and chin shaved as well. Only then will I start with across the grain. Once those two passes are locked in I will add a third pass against the grain.

If you can increase the slickness of the soap, it shouldn’t be an issue. I’m glad you are going to keep at it for now.

Congrats on your first shavette shave! Which one are you using?

What would those short comings be? That is, in relation to using a shavette?

I just found it to dry out rather quickly becoming gummy, having to reapply several times. Part of this is the slow and patient approach of using the single edge. With the cartridge I'm more experienced thus quicker shave.

If you can increase the slickness of the soap, it shouldn’t be an issue. I’m glad you are going to keep at it for now.

Congrats on your first shavette shave! Which one are you using?

On my second try, I've worked the lather a little more and increased the slickness which was a good improvement but still not where I want it to be. I still have a lot of puck left so I have quite a few shaves to work with it. I was satisfied with the product before and just wanted to change to see if there was something that worked better. I assume I can get it to where I want it to be.

As for the shavette shave I'm very happy with it. My goal it to get to use my Boker King Cutter straight razor which I don't think will be a problem now (though a slightly different learning curve when I switch to it). I knew going in that my shave would take a few steps backwards at first. With my second shave (1P-WTG) done now I did get my lower lip and chin shaved as well, no cuts, same nicks though, and a slightly closer shave. There is some irritation but that is split between shaving angles and the soap.

I'm using the mighty ProMax Professional Barber Straight Edge Razor with Derby Premium blades. Cheap but effective. The ProMax was included with several comparisons with Parker, Jagger and others higher end razors so it is at least in the conversation. It has nice balance and seems well made and is all stainless. Blades are a hundred pack that came with the razor so I'll use a new blade for each shave. Once I get farther along I'll pick up a sample pack to find if I like a different blade. People say Feather are the sharpest and Derby are the dullest so I think it is a good learning blade. For someone who is wanting to try single edge shaving, for $20, I don't think one can go wrong. I have neurological damage and get tremors and shakes particularly in my right arm so I wasn't sure if I could.

Great! I’d say you are well on your way and learning quickly.

I haven’t decided what to choose for a shavette yet. I don’t think I want the start up expense of the Feather system. So many half DE options though and I only want one! Thanks for the input.

I read quite a bit here and watch a few videos to get an idea what I was doing. I find most people go in with too high of expectation of the initial result or get discouraged when it takes a learning curve or that they have to change some other aspect to get good results. Some try to do too much too soon. Patience and practice are key.

I'm happy with the ProMax but I don't have a point of reference. I know some take dedicated blades but this can use SE or half DE in it. Ultimately this one will be my travel one for when I go to Sturgis so I didn't want one with a plastic blade lock and this one is all SS. Price wise I don't have to worry if it goes missing.

The Third Shave - Since my left hand was getting a better shave I started with it to see if the closer shave was technique or more time with the lather. Turns out that it is the technique as it still was smoother then the right. Lather wise I'm not seeing a noticeable improvement. I'm not knocking the product, maybe I'm expecting something unrealistic but I'm still working with it. As for the overall shave it was a step back from my first two shaves in terms of number of nicks and irritation and quality of shave. Most of this is personal responsibility and not being in the right state of mind for the shave. Again for newbs following don't get discouraged by steps backwards because ultimately they are steps forward. Making mistakes teaches how far you can push the rules and how to fix mistakes.

Shaves have been going great with some dabbling into XTG and ATG. As for the soap I think I have it dialed in now - just a smidge too much water as opposed to the usually nice fluffy lather I was using before. The wife is loving the new shaves though my grand-daughter thinks I should stop. She puts band-aids on scratches so when she saw me with a couple good cuts and nicks and she was panicking looking for the phone to call 911.

Shaves have been going great with some dabbling into XTG and ATG. As for the soap I think I have it dialed in now - just a smidge too much water as opposed to the usually nice fluffy lather I was using before. The wife is loving the new shaves though my grand-daughter thinks I should stop. She puts band-aids on scratches so when she saw me with a couple good cuts and nicks and she was panicking looking for the phone to call 911.

Precious!

Glad you’re dabbling with other strokes. I have managed WTG and XTG well so far. The few times I’ve done ATG have been largely uncomfortable; much to work on in technique there. Keep at it.

Thanks GearNoir. ATG definitely takes a different technique. Slow with lots of lather, some times lots of blood too but the alum block deals with it plus I shower after I shave. I just went with the attitude that the DE/Safety razor is a modern invention and man has been shaving for centuries so SE can't be that hard to learn.

Thanks for the report, never thought about using a single edge but might have to give it a try.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom