What's new

Matador de luxe, a swedish vintage razor

I just picked this up from a local gentleman:

Screenshot_20170628-210253.jpg

Screenshot_20170628-211427.jpg

Screenshot_20170628-210433.jpg

I payed about 7,50€, very worth it for the leather case alone I think. I don't have high hopes for the razor itself, but I'm looking forward to try it out. Also som old gilette thin blades came with it.

PRECISIONSRAKHYVEL of course means "precision razor". The swedish word "rakhyvel" hard translates to shave plane (plane as in the tool), as we use the same word for plane as we do for razor (hyvel).

Just wanted to share this :)

Very nice. Just a few weeks ago I found a similar one in the wild while vacationing in Sweden, only the price was 40 dollars in a totally beat up case. Did not buy but seeing this I have regrets!

Nice looking razor. Can you take a picture of the side of the head?

Cheers
John

Sure!

Screenshot_20170628-223639.jpg

Screenshot_20170628-223551.jpg

With Muhle r89 for comparison

Not the best pictures, sorry! My camera had a hard time finding focus on the chrome

Last edited:
Very nice! Will probably become your pride and joy. I like hearing about and seeing these older non Gillettes. Congrats!

Matadors are great...They had cheap lightweight razors, and beautiful Deluxe heavyweights as well... tradera.com , the Swedish "Etsy" , sometimes has nice old Swedish shaving gear.

I just got a Matador DeLuxe too:
1A411EB7-CC9F-4FCA-AE79-44D0A8D42922.jpeg

For some reason the cap says “Rembrandt” on it and I’m surprised at how aggressive it is - very very aggressive and a really great powerful shave.
7397B153-F2CE-45ED-8E78-AB21B812920E.jpeg

Obviously the Matador DeLuxe is another one of those hidden gems!

A while back I got a Matador Diplomat that I nicknamed Kermit because it came looking like this
matador-before-jpg.820268

I cleaned it up and it now looks like this
matador-after-jpg.820273

I have to admit that the Matador is one of the best shaving razor I own. It is something about the design of the head that just makes it very comfortable and efficient.

Another phenomenal shave with the Matador De Luxe!
This really is a top tier shaver isn’t it?

I wasn’t convinced that the ”Rembrandt” cap that it came with was the original OEM one:
03318CF4-1248-43DD-A319-CC38B8739F8D.jpeg

So I swapped it out for a thicker heavier modern cap of the same width.
Now my MDL looks like the one in the OP :)
314AEF1F-D625-43C8-8447-2E7D30BD2321.jpeg

46DBF022-3587-403F-8134-5429ED986B51.jpeg

I’ve got to say it again - I’m so amazed at what a good shaver this is.
It’s a very bold statement but this feels in the same league as my R41 :)

And I’m shocked to say that in a steep angke shave off between the Matador De Luxe and the 2011 R41 not only was the Matador much smoother but it also shaved marginally closer 24hrs on from the shave.
Read about it here:
2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!

I suppose this might make the Matador De Luxe one of the the ultimate DEs.
Who knew?
0BF706F6-8486-4B86-AB50-A44767B1BC5A.jpeg

Another phenomenal shave with the Matador De Luxe!
This really is a top tier shaver isn’t it?

I wasn’t convinced that the ”Rembrandt” cap that it came with was the original OEM one:

So I swapped it out for a thicker heavier modern cap of the same width.
Now my MDL looks like the one in the OP :)

I’ve got to say it again - I’m so amazed at what a good shaver this is.
It’s a very bold statement but this feels in the same league as my R41 :)

But which modern cap did you use?

I bought one also, a fine shaver it looks like. Looking forward to take it for a spin. I wanted a Swedish razor because my Grandfather was Swedish, we never meet, my case is a little diffrent. I paid 240 nok.

What is missing from the third loop or Hole ? A styptic.?
IMG_9937.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG
IMG_9941.JPG
IMG_9942.JPG
IMG_9943.JPG

20180407_085139.jpg

Had two Matador in my mailbox this week.
One standard razor to the right, says Precisionshyvel on the base plate. Quite mild and works excellent when in a rush.
The left one is the Matador De Luxe, and it's a sleeper! Felt quite mild at first, but turned out to be a quite aggressive and effective razor which you need to treet with respect, but still smooth in some strange way...
Will definitely use them both more.

Feels great as a Swede to use old, good Swedish made steel on my face :)

Can highly recommend to grab one if you find one. Pretty common here in Sweden but I guess it's harder to find outside Sweden.

I just picked this up from a local gentleman:

View attachment 800090

View attachment 800092

View attachment 800091

I payed about 7,50€, very worth it for the leather case alone I think. I don't have high hopes for the razor itself, but I'm looking forward to try it out. Also som old gilette thin blades came with it.

PRECISIONSRAKHYVEL of course means "precision razor". The swedish word "rakhyvel" hard translates to shave plane (plane as in the tool), as we use the same word for plane as we do for razor (hyvel).

Just wanted to share this :)

That is a beautiful razor , congratulations it is always nice to find these gems

Glenn

Top Bottom