What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Guys the #2020 takes either a hair shaper or the mini shaper via a special insert for the mini blade. You can use either one.
Thanks. So it's exactly like my 1010. I wonder why the two websites I checked don't publicize that both types of blades work.

Thanks. So it's exactly like my 1010. I wonder why the two websites I checked don't publicize that both types of blades work.
Yes isn’t the 2020 supposed to have sturdier scales?
I’ve got a couple of Japanese clones of the Hess too and the way they sleeve the blade does make it a nicer shave than the Wecks.
Like I said earlier, you can modify the adapter so that they will take Artist Club Blades too...

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the Feather systems as I’m well acquainted with both the folding & non-folding options. They’re well designed & feel very good in the hand. That being said I found that my 1st shave with a shaper type blade went well last night & these blades offer a different experience than the Feather type systems. The vintage shaper razors options out there are staggering for those open to the experience. Also you have Personna, Fromm, Diane & Pro-mate just to name a few blade brands out there. I may have stumbled into shave tool I’ve been looking for all this time...

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the Feather systems as I’m well acquainted with both the folding & non-folding options. They’re well designed & feel very good in the hand. That being said I found that my 1st shave with a shaper type blade went well last night & these blades offer a different experience than the Feather type systems. The vintage shaper razors options out there are staggering for those open to the experience. Also you have Personna, Fromm, Diane & Pro-mate just to name a few blade brands out there. I may have stumbled into shave tool I’ve been looking for all this time...
For sure - I find the
Personna “25% Sharper” shaper Blades to be equally as good as the Artist Club Blades.
The Hess and Weck deserve much more acclaim and it really is a superb shave.
It’s great that you’ve found something that really suits you!

Agreed. I would also like to express some relief that this club was formed. My background is primarily in shaving and honing with conventional straights but I’ve never been able to abandon replaceable blade options. There are times that I can get really invested in honing to the point it becomes all-consuming & it can sometimes leave me wondering if it’s worth it. I think the biggest issue I’ve ran into with honing is that what “should be” a fairly straightforward process becomes overwhelming. This is due to a huge number of variables that I won’t address here. In theory I should mainly be stropping while only having to rehone here & there. But what actually winds up happening is a never ending chase of an ever-sharper, ever- something or another edge that always seems to elude me. So even when I turn out a very nice edge there’s always this drive for something more & I don’t know why. So finding this group has been a relief in the since that I can express my appreciation for these tools with those that are equally if not more invested & informed than I am.

This all black folding Schick Proline arrived today.
Of all the shavettes I ever did see this one surely wears the crown :)
C5D0DFD7-1E67-4285-A1E8-EC95086ED74B.jpeg
36E67083-C244-4596-B09D-01D3B8B93908.jpeg
8C3554E7-D7C1-4CA4-8002-32C754DEE480.jpeg
42E833F5-4E5F-49F5-ABF8-02C73A3A43CB.jpeg

That is a beautiful razor Marcus! What are the scales made of? Is that one new production?
Thank you!
It came in a job lot of straight razors and the slider was missing.
The slider from my kamisori style Proline fits perfectly though and looks really good in there.

So I guess this was produced at exactly the same time as the kami style one so maybe 1990’s?
There’s a later version of the Proline razor with an internal spring like the DX .

The scales are made of resin just like the Kai Captain and Feather SS and the head is coloured black which was a surprise.
It’s got bigger blade exposure than the Kai Captain, more like the DX and I’m super excited to shave with it :)

Thank you!
It came in a job lot of straight razors and the slider was missing.
The slider from my kamisori style Proline fits perfectly though and looks really good in there.

So I guess this was produced at exactly the same time as the kami style one so maybe 1990’s?
There’s a later version of the Proline razor with an internal spring like the DX .

The scales are made of resin just like the Kai Captain and Feather SS and the head is coloured black which was a surprise.
It’s got bigger blade exposure than the Kai Captain, more like the DX and I’m super excited to shave with it :)

Nice find i have only come across a couple of black ones. Never managed to find them at a decent price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find i have only come across a couple of black ones. Never managed to find them at a decent price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you my friend!
If you ever find yourself with a spare black slider for one of these be sure to let me know :)

Good outing with my CJB today. Not perfect -- a couple of missed spots and could still get closer ATG -- bit just a couple of pinpricks. I'll take it for using shavettes only on occasion.

First shave with the folding black Proline and a Dorco Super Blade on #3:
C3CF1CDB-4D88-4528-BA18-88B7EDFB727F.jpeg

A lot of blade exposure and weight in the hand - like the Feather DX this is a serious and formidable shaver.
Real quality.

Good find on the Schick!
However I just received the Hess #2020 and it doesn’t accept a regular 2.25” shaper blade as an earlier poster suggested. The mini-shaper is all it handles unfortunately. I just thought I would pass on this 1st hand info.

Last edited:
I just received the Hess #2020 and it doesn’t accept a regular 2.25” shaper blade as an earlier poster suggested. The mini-shaper is all it handles unfortunately. I just thought I would pass on this 1st hand info.
Did you check that the insert that holds the mini shaper blades is not removable like it is on the 1010?

Looking back, wasn't it you that said the 2020 took full-sized blades in Post #2061?

Did you check that the insert that holds the mini shaper blades is not removable like it is on the 1010?

Looking back, wasn't it you that said the 2020 took full-sized blades in Post #2061?
The post I made was simply not correct because I didn’t have my hands on the razor at that point. Now that I have the razor in hand I can see that the insert for the mini shaper blades is fully removable but the full sized Personna blade still won’t fit. I haven’t tried any other 2.25” shaper blades yet. I think I would suggest getting a pack of mini shaper blades at the same time for those interested in the Hess so you’re not starring at a new razor with no blades to load in it...

The post I made was simply not correct because I didn’t have my hands on the razor at that point. Now that I have the razor in hand I can see that the insert for the mini shaper blades is fully removable but the full sized Personna blade still won’t fit. I haven’t tried any other 2.25” shaper blades yet. I think I would suggest getting a pack of mini shaper blades at the same time for those interested in the Hess so you’re not starring at a new razor with no blades to load in it...
Probably the razor is made to take the Japanese and Chinese hair shaper (“feather cut”) blades which look identical to the Personna/Weck/Fromm Blades but have a narrower spine.
This is certainly the case with my Japanese Hess clones and also the Feather Custom shavette.

Probably the razor is made to take the Japanese and Chinese hair shaper (“feather cut”) blades which look identical to the Personna/Weck/Fromm Blades but have a narrower spine.
This is certainly the case with my Japanese Hess clones and also the Feather Custom shavette.
In the end I can always order a set of the mini shaper blades if all else fails.

Last edited:
This all black folding Schick Proline arrived today.
Of all the shavettes I ever did see this one surely wears the crown :)

Between this and your Kamisori Proline, I'm not sure which I like better. They both look like high quality merchandise, no two ways about it. These Schick Proline razors are on my list, as they seem absolutely special and awesome.

For myself, I've been working my Focus Slim the last week or so and loving it. I really gravitate towards light razors for some reason and this one, though light, cuts well and efficiently and is well balanced. I haven't tried the pins trick to use an injector blade and I'm wondering how you loosen them. I was thinking maybe just plyers, as I don't have a tool to fit the two prong head on the pin. I am always looking for excuses to use the injector blades, though I favor the Proline B-20 to the Personna or Chicks.

I posted this question somewhere and then I remembered that the most frequent shavette users are here. Hope you can help me with this question.

Just had my first shavette shaving (I am totally on first steps even in De razor shaving) , so I think this type of shavette would be perfect for me.

So, just wanted to ask if there is such a shavette that has these features :

1) DE blade based
2) it comes with a guard like Weck Sextoblade
3) has the blade corners protected (to avoid being cut)

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom