What's new

Bad scents

Of my thirty or so soaps, most have nice scents but nothing fantastic. There are six or seven scents I love- B&M Seville, CC 45th Parallel, Mickey Lee Drunken Goat, WSP Blackbeard and Pumpkin Spice, Stirling Executive Man and Black Ice. There are two soap scents that, to me, are plain awful yet I use them regularly because their performance is phenomenal- B&M Rhapsody and Tallow and Steel Maya. So two questions: Does anybody else use soaps with scents they dislike because the performance is so good? Based on the scents listed that I like, can you recommend a T+S soap with a scent you think I’d like?

I was at West Coast Shaving today and saw they started carrying T&S. I reached for them immediately as I have been very curious to try them. The Borealis, I swear, appeared to have a fecal note. Nasty. The only one that had an agreeable fragrance was the Himalaya: cinnamon oatmeal. I passed and got a tub of Captain’s Choice 45th and a Reef Point Aviator. T&S was too avant garde for my taste.

Heck no, there are enough high performing soaps out there, there is no reason to use one you don’t enjoy.

This. On top of that, just about any artisan soap is made in several scents. So no point using one you don't like. Just sell it or give it away and get the same performance in a different scent.

This. On top of that, just about any artisan soap is made in several scents. So no point using one you don't like. Just sell it or give it away and get the same performance in a different scent.
Yep. I'm now working on sorting out ones I don't love thru pifs, trades or eventually sales. Just keeping good performers with scents I like otherwise they would sit unused anyway.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I was at West Coast Shaving today and saw they started carrying T&S. I reached for them immediately as I have been very curious to try them. The Borealis, I swear, appeared to have a fecal note. Nasty. The only one that had an agreeable fragrance was the Himalaya: cinnamon oatmeal. I passed and got a tub of Captain’s Choice 45th and a Reef Point Aviator. T&S was too avant garde for my taste.
Ugh. Fecal notes. Ugh. Note made. Thanks. Ugh

45th is nice stuff!

Tallow + Steel Boreal is one of my favourite woodsy scents. If you enjoy those type of scents I’d suggest picking it up. Cheers.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bad-smelling soaps ... no ... though there IS this one aftershave. It's green and made by Pinaud ...

AA

The Borealis, I swear, appeared to have a fecal note. Nasty.

I guess there's something for everyone.

I have a friend who likes the smell of Skunk, so perhaps there's a niche market for some scents that would never appeal the the masses.:001_smile

Fecal
Skunk
The Barn
Locker Room
Dead Fish
???????????

You don't like fecal? :001_rolle
You don't like fecal? :001_rolle
I’m trying to be objective. The initial impression I got was negative, so in the spirit of fairness, I’m willing to presume the fragrances change for the better with water—especially when that company has a loyal following here on BNB. And, I already got torched for badmouthing Castle Forbes Lavender, and am now qualifying my opinions.

Haslinger Schafmilch is pretty bad, but the performance is otherworldly.

Stirling Scots Pine Sheep is another soap that smells bad, but performs amazingly. This soap is in my top 5 for performance, and the mutton tallow makes a huge difference over standard beef tallow, but it smells like sheep!

Tallow & Steel soaps were one of the biggest disappointments to me in terms of scent. The base/performance of these soaps is top notch, however, I don’t care at all for their scents. I have tried a few of their soaps and all of them smelled terrible imo. If I had to choose the best one (of the ones I tried) I would pick Himalaya. It smells like wet clay that you find in a pottery workshop. Maya would be in second place. It smells like a weird/awkward chocolate Dr. Pepper type of deal. Boreal and Morocco were no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tallow & Steel soaps were one of the biggest disappointments to me in terms of scent. The base/performance of these soaps is top notch, however, I don’t care at all for their scents. I have tried a few of their soaps and all of them smelled terrible imo. If I had to choose the best one (of the ones I tried) I would pick Himalaya. It smells like wet clay that you find in a pottery workshop. Maya would be in second place. It smells like a weird/awkward chocolate Dr. Pepper type of deal. Boreal and Morocco were no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. Have you tried West Indies?

Top Bottom