What's new

Break down and wipe down razor after every shave?

Break down and wipe down razor after every shave?

• Yes, every shave

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No, only when I change the blade

Votes: 63 40.1%
  • No, havent cleaned my razor in over 3 months

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters
I would like to know how many of you Break down and wipe down razor after every shave?

I notice on my 3 piece razor the instructions say this should be done

Although in my everyday life one can safely say I'm neglecting the minor obligations my better part imposes on me on a random basis, when it comes to my razors, I take out the blade, rinse, towel wipe before I give all the razor parts a thorough wipe with a duster cloth. I leave the disassembled parts to completely dry on the rack and then assemble loosely. I finally place the assembled razor on the rack and enjoy the sight. I wouldn't have it any other way, every time, no fail.

Last edited:
All I do is to rinse off the whole razor when I though and then to touch the edge of the razor (blade) to a towel. I don't take it apart until I'm ready to change the blade. I use a 3 piece razor.

Depends on razor and soap. If a simple rinse gets the blade clean no reason to handle the used blade and risk the edge damage that might result. A lot of razors do get gunked up and then I will break them down.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rinse razor head under hot water then soak in 91% iso for a minute and shake out. This may be not adequate for some types of soap however, so a more thorough routine would be needed in such cases.

Disassemble, rinse under hot tap, wipe blade (yes, I'm going to hell), wipe dry with hand towel and then reassemble.

I generally use a Slim, but even when using a 3-piece razor, the pattern remains:

1. Leave the blade intact
  2. Shake the razor to get rid of excess water
  3. Dry the outside of the razor on a towel
  4. Perform a quick "towel strop" on the exposed razor edges, working away from "sharp"
  5. Wait for tomorrow's shave

Razors get cleaned and dried more thoroughly when the blade is changed out. I use just one blade at a time and if the blade is being transferred to another razor, it gets a wipe before going in.

I get 20+ CCS+ shaves from a blade with this method.

Will the blade last for more shaves if we take the time to break down the razor, wipe it down and make sure the blade is completely dried off between shaves? Thats the million dollar question for me. I dont mind doing the extra work if there is an empirical/tangible advantage to be had in the end. And Wifey wont like to see the razor broken down and set to air dry on a wash rag on the counter.

Ref: alcohol dunk..... I am not really comfortable to do this because the blades are coated in platinum or chrome or teflon and I am afraid that an alcohol dunk may very well act as a solvent that dissolves away at the oil coating.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Three-piece, I leave alone for six shaves ... TTOs, I admit I open them to dry and sometimes wipe the blade.

Some soaps gunk an edge, some don't.

Water marks: A shiny red-brass NEW will show blackish water marks; I generally wipe a newly polished one dry.

AA

I take apart and brush my Merkur Futur with a toothbrush after every shave. Then I dry it out with a towel and finally dry out the crevices with a folded toilet paper. It's part of my shaving ritual now!

Some soaps gunk an edge, some don't.

Fair point. If I'm using a soap that leaves a film, I'll take the blade out (thanks, TTO!) and give it a rinse or wipe as necessary. Since the razor's open already, I'll dry the inside at that time. Most of my soaps don't present this problem, so that's the exception rather than the rule.

I loosen the cap, rinse under hot water and leave it in the bathroom countertop till tomorrow. I change razors every 3 days. When I remove the blade I will it down but am not all OC about it

I do what @bugmd does except before i shave i wipe the head with toilet paper. I feel the residue prevents a smooth shave and gives the blade a kind of strop.

Rinse under hot tap water, heavy stream, then let the razor head soak in isopropyl alcohol for a couple minutes while I clean up. Shake off excess alcohol, and just put in the drawer. I've had zero issues doing it this way with both zamac & SS razors.

I clean after every shave. After cleaning, I put it up and may not use it again for a few months. I like variety.

With all my razors, I crack them open and run them through the hot tap. If it is a TTO, I open it, take the blade out and put it in a piece of terl stationery to dry while I finish my ablutions. On a two or three piece, I take it apart, dry the shiny stuff while the blade sits on the terl stationery to dry. I dry my TTOs and blow out the water from the handles. You would be amazed how much comes out. If you have hard water (what an oxymoron; like it comes out in chunks) and it dries in there, the minerals left behind and the old suds can seize the works like an engine or motor with no erl as my elders called oil. 34C has the hole in the tip for just such purpose. I should put that up as a post? I'm not the only one preserving survivor razors and being anal here. Being raised by blue blade shavers had an impact, I guess.

Open them, turn them upside down and give a puff. An eye droppers worth of water can come out. Imagine that turning to rock inside the works of your FTSS or adjustable. Green like the gunk on a car battery terminal but hard like stone

I finish shaving and run the hot water to the head to clean it and goes on the stand. If I decide to keep shaving with it, I put in a new blade and it ready for the next day. If I decide to use a different razor, and that’s usually when the blade needs replacing, it gets the scrubbing bubbles and the toothbrush treatment.

Top Bottom