What's new

Lost the will to shave

I've not had the desire to shave in a over a month now and I'm looking pretty ragged.

My mother passed away unexpectedly last month and I had to make that dreaded, unexpected, unplanned trip.

I was so rushed that I could not plan for moving shaving goods to the other coast and and when I got back I just did not have the heart left to shave anymore.

I thought that maybe buying a few new razors on BST would excite me back into shaving but I don't even have the heart to unpack what I have bought.

Well enough of this madness.

Sorry to hear of your loss Mick. These events can change us in unexpected ways. The most important thing is you are doing what you need to do to heal.

Sorry for your loss. Mick, like everyone else, I think, I've experienced bouts of depression. It is normal. Major life events, particularly the loss of a loved one can immobilize us. Most folks in this situation find it helpful to seek out grief counseling or a peer support group; when I lost someone close it really helped me to talk to a counselor.

Take care.

Mac

Sorry for your loss. It sucks to lose a parent due to the normal course of aging and it sucks even more to lose one unexpectedly. When my dad passed away in 2016 I wasn't able to make it back in time to be at his bedside when he did leave. So I'm left with that to ponder. I hope you are able to find your way once more.

Condolences. I lost my Mom 7 years ago and it is quite devastating. Mothers are the one person in the world who love you unconditionally in a way that only mothers can. It is a big loss and things will be “off” for a while but you will get back to your normal self. It takes time. There’s nothing that can ease the pain, only time and love. I wish you all the best in this trying time and remember to take it easy. Cheers.

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Having our Mom pass away is a very devastating event, my heart goes out to you and your family I send you prayers and hope your hearts can begin to heal soon. I feel that only time can heal them and we all go thru our own individual grieving process. But you may want to try to "foce" yourself to do one shave because ther is a good chance that it will cheer you up a little bit.

I implore you not to go to the heavy drinking route because it will only prolong the pain and agony and prolong the process of healing. If you are not keen on talking with a grief counselor perhaps you can buy one of the many fine books on Amazon dedicated to "Life after the death of a loved one"

No way to sugar coat it, the death of Mother or of a child is one of life's most unpleasant experiences. I will keep you in my prayers

Condolences, sir. I've lost a parent as well; the loss never goes away but it does get better with time and remembering the good times as opposed to just the end.

Good lord @Mick - sorry for your loss but get on with it man. This is no way to respect your mothers memory. Get up off your duff, shave, and go find some help. You're clearly depressed.

Get too it man.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sorry for your loss.

Think what your mother might say seeing you looking a mess.

My father died Dec.28 1992 at 2:10am, he was only 58. I remember it like it was yesterday and I always will.

I can still see my uncle, my fathers brother 11 years younger, and how his knees buckled when he came through the door to the hospital room. I can still feel the cold wind and snow blowing when we went outside to smoke because he couldnt bear to be in the room. He thought his older brother invincible and in many ways he was, especially to him.

I can still hear my fathers voice when I do or say something I maybe shouldnt lol. For years I felt him beside me while hunting and smelled his cigars.

I can understand taking time to mourn. I think of my father every day and I try to honour him to the best of my ability at all times.

He was always one to say "life goes on" at times such as these while chewing his cigar butt lol, and it does indeed. I'm not sure it ever really gets easier, but I tend to think of the times we laughed and related on the same level. Remembering the good always makes me feel better and telling stories of him and how he saw and did things, and emulating them myself, keeps him alive.

Brother Mick, I too wish to add my condolences to you concerning the loss of your mom.

The good news is there are several excellent suggestions mentioned earlier for you to consider. Professional grief counseling is available, and there are excellent books on the subjects of confronting the dual enemies of death and loss.

Physical exercise is very helpful in confronting depression. A daily walk is a simple way to start. Keep active with exercise, hobbies, and interests. Maintain and nurture social contacts. Treat yourself well and eat well. Avoid neglecting yourself. A shave and a haircut can be surprisingly therapeutic, when you are ready.

Friends and relatives also sometimes can be a resource. Don't fear or hesitate to pursue what may be helpful.

God bless, and please keep in contact with your shaving friends. Mick, we are here for you.

With sympathy.
That first shave, however, will be with a heavy heart, but will be a step toward healing.
Your mom would probably want it that way.

Mick, I can't say anymore then has been which may be too much for you at the moment to process but I want you to know we care and hope you get relief soon. We all grieve differently and at different paces. Hang in there

Very sorry for your loss Mick!

No interest in shaving, your barber also do shaves? He could get you cleaned up and maybe being that's all you'd need to get back into the routine of maintenance, a clean fresh start.
dave

Top Bottom