What's new

What do you know now that you wished you knew when you first started?

Hello all you good people. Currently, I have not smoked a pipe. Today I should be getting the 5 pack of corn cobs to complete what is needed to start. I received a tin of 1Q, pipe cleaners, pipe tool, and yes even some filters.

As the title states: What do you know now that you wished you knew when you first started? Please give me a chance to get a running start on this hobby I am thinking of picking up.

I appreciate the time and feedback in advanced.

I haven't been smoking a pipe as long as most of the guys here but this is probably the most helpful thing I have learned. "Don't think about it". Pipe smoking is about relaxing and enjoying. So many are pretty up tight (I was as well) about getting the perfect packing and draw or whatnot. I watched alot of videos when I started and went through the sane thing. Tried to mimick the packing or description of how a draw should feel.

It was tough until I started experimenting and finding what worked for me. Everyone is different and does it a different way. Alot is developing a feel for it. I'm still experimenting and improving with every smoke. They keep getting cooler and more flavors pop. Just relax and enjoy is my advice.

Make sure to sip the pipe. Too fast is very easy. It can get the pipe too hot and mess with the flavors or bite your tongue. I don't use a specific packing method really. I just gravity fill the bowl to the top and lightly pack, then do the same again but with an extra pinch at the top. So it feels kinda springy. Flakes and ready rubs are another story haha.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy! A cob and 1q is a great start!

Mark pretty much covered the high points. I can't stress enough the need for patience. This whole new experience is about taking your time and finding what is right for you. Don't get discouraged if your pipe goes out. Everybody's pipe goes out. Slow and steady wins the race and it hasn't been truer than when it is applied to pipe smoking.

Another point to remember is smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Just because everyone around you says this or that blend is amazing doesn't mean you will find it as pleasing. Taste is extremely subjective. But finding out what you like is half the fun. I wouldn't buy 5 pounds of a tobacco and you don't have any idea how it tastes. Many online vendors sell 1oz. samples. These will be your best friend. Also, it is a good practice to smoke at least three bowls of a blend before you decide you really hate it. And if you don't like it, stick it in a mason jar for six months and try it again. Your tastes and likes will change.

You have made a good choice with starting with cobs. They are a great bargain and provide a great smoke. But remember, the tobacco will taste differently in a cob than they do in a briar, meerschaum, or clay pipe. I recommend getting an inexpensive basket briar to see if the flavor profile changes your perception of the blend.

Have fun, brother! And if you have any questions, ASK! Welcome to a bigger brighter world! You are gonna have fun.

Oh, one more thing. We are enablers here. So expect to get influenced! :) Some of these guys have turned enabling into a science. I don't want to mention any names.... @Price @Hirsute and others too many to mention!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I wish I had known how to properly pack a pipe, but that just takes trial and error.

Oh, one more thing. We are enablers here. So expect to get influenced! :) Some of these guys have turned enabling into a science. I don't want to mention any names.... @Price @Hirsute and others too many to mention!

Once you get settled in with a cob and decide that you like pipe smoking....

Savinelli Tobacco Pipes | Buy Savinelli Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes

Best Selection of Estate Tobacco Pipes — Smokingpipes.com

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Dry the tobacco more than you think you should. Fill the pipe less than you think you should. Puff often, but not too often, and tamp only when needed.

when I first started, I got preoccupied with trying to avoid re-lights... which ended up with me puffing too often, getting things too hot, and getting tongue burn.
Now, I dont even care if I have to relight, I even enjoy being able to let the pipe sit for a bit while I get distracted doing something else, knowing that I can just relight and carry on!

Also, I always seemed to "feel bad" about not smoking a bowl down to just ash - I felt like I was wasting something if there were some leftover tobacco in the pipe when I was done.
So I thought about it - Heck - pipe tobacco isn't going to break the bank, and it is created for the specific purpose of your enjoyment!
So once I got over that feeling, I really did get much more enjoyment, even if I ended up throwing out half a bowl, I know that the tobacco successfully served the purpose it was meant for!

I think for me, it would be to keep top of mind that smoking a pipe is about taking it easy. Much more so than a cigar. I mean as you know, you can drive or walk about, but in order to smoke a pipe well, you need to chill. It's an experience that your whole body needs to get in on the action or you'll burn through your pipe.

As such, I wouldn't recommend buying a bunch of cheap pipes, I'd buy two that I thought I could love, and learn how to smoke them well. Loving on my pipe is a big part of the experience for me. The one's with the balsa filter were great for me when I was starting! I still love em. You don't have to use the filters.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Great tips so far. In pipe smoking, the end justifies the means. It's a hobby meant for you to enjoy, so if you're happy with your smokes, you're doing it right.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is better to pack a bowl too loose than too tight. Too loose can be fixed easier than too tight.

Dry the tobacco more than you think you should. Fill the pipe less than you think you should. Puff often, but not too often, and tamp only when needed.

This sums it up for me. Re-lights are not a problem, but tongue bite...that is a real problem! Also, if you smoke too hot and pack too tight the taste is not as good!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Pack lightly and properly lighting the pipe was one. If you neglect to light the whole surface of the tobacco it tends to burn unevenly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, don't obsess about stuff. New smokers tend to worry far too much about puff cadence, cake formation, packingp lighting, cleaning, getting a certain pipe or blend, filling a cellar, and any number of other things.

This is a leisure activity. Enjoy it. As long as you relax and hold your pipe "hole side up," you probably are doing fine enough.

Don't be afraid to go on to the next blend. @Riff Raff is spot on. 1 oz samples are great. I am also one of many who can't smoke aromatics, but I suffered a lot determined to like them. I now have 40+ pounds in the cellar and no aros. There is a lot of awesome tobacco out there. If you don't like it, let it go. You will find the treasure if you keep looking.

I read through the suggestions here, and I think you guys have pretty much covered it. Take your time and enjoy it. :thumbup:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would also not use the 3 step pipe packing method. For some reason it always ended up over packing my pipe due to poor tamping, over filling etc.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would also not use the 3 step pipe packing method. For some reason it always ended up over packing my pipe due to poor tamping, over filling etc.
My pipe stuffing technique has always been “put that in your pipe and smoke it”. Some people like to over complicate things. Does one really think that our forefathers jumped through all of these hoops? I don’t. Fill the pipe, and don’t puff like a freight train. Too much noise and worry means one is not relaxing.

Top Bottom