What's new

The Ketogenic Get Healthy Thread

So you have your baseline.

I wouldn't be so concerned about what the typical GP thinks about dietary regiment. Most are given 8 hours of nutritional instruction, if any, in medical school. Most fall back on USDA guidelines which is subject to conflicts of interest, of course. Even nutritionists are schooled in USDA dogma. It changes slowly. Science progresses one funeral at a time.-Max Planck

In regards to your serum triglyceride, you may find this very encouraging. An interesting presentation and some very interesting studies of how serum panels were improved in short order using low carbohydrate/high fat diets.

I believe your on the right track in improving your health. How satisfying it will be for you to kick each prescription to the curb. Keep carrying on!

Well done!!
I love your enthusiasm!!

So you have your baseline.

I wouldn't be so concerned about what the typical GP thinks about dietary regiment. Most are given 8 hours of nutritional instruction, if any, in medical school. Most fall back on USDA guidelines which is subject to conflicts of interest, of course. Even nutritionists are schooled in USDA dogma. It changes slowly. Science progresses one funeral at a time.-Max Planck

In regards to your serum triglyceride, you may find this very encouraging. An interesting presentation and some very interesting studies of how serum panels were improved in short order using low carbohydrate/high fat diets.

I believe your on the right track in improving your health. How satisfying it will be for you to kick each prescription to the curb. Keep carrying on!

Thanks Guys! I appreciate your encouragement.

Yesterday was a weird one. I decided not to eat breakfast first thing in the morning before I went to my medical appointment. So I hadn't had anything to eat or drink other than water since about 7:30 PM Thursday night. Got home from the doctor about 10:30 and decided to fry up some eggs and bacon. I ate around 11:00 and felt pretty good. There were a couple of times I thought I was hungry, but I am trying to sort out what I feel like when I am truly hungry or if I am just used to eating. And I was feeling a little queezy in the stomach yesterday also, so I decided to not snack or eat until about 7:30 PM again. There is definitely a learning curve to this whole keto thing.

Still not in ketosis yet, and I am wondering how long this is going to take. Everyone says it typically takes between two and four days. Today is starting day six for me. I did read somewhere that it can take a couple of weeks or more if depending on different factors (how big you are, how old you are, how much glucose is stored in your body, etc). I am also wondering if my macros are too high and I need to decrease my protein. Not sure. I'll keep on keeping on until something doesn't seem like it's working.

Tomorrow will be the big day where I weigh and measure myself. Last Sunday I weighed myself, took pictures, and measured my neck, chest, and waist (the largest part of my waist which is over my belly button). I don't expect a lot of difference in my measurements, but I am hoping there is a little weight loss...even a couple or a few pounds would be nice just to show there is progress.

So yesterdays macros look like this...

Fat - 156.5 grams = 1408.5 calories - 82%
Carbs - 7.5 grams = 30 calories - 2%
Protein - 70 grams = 280 calories - 16%
Total Calories - 1718.5 calories

As you can see, this has been the fewest fewest macros I have consumed this week. My percentages are all in line, and my carb intake is the fewest yet.

Anyway...we will see what today brings...first Saturday...I am sure I will have some challenges.

Hope you gents have a great day today.

I've lost about 30lbs so far on keto and it probably would have been more if I hadn't let up during the holidays. I'm also not terribly strict about ingredients like other types of oil in mayonnaise and other dressings, etc. I know I should be but to me, that's just way too picky and if it works for me it's just like shaving: YMMV.

Every day I see another study or another prominent doctor come out in favor of this "diet." Those of us who practice it call it WOE (way of eating) or WOL (way of life). As others have mentioned, we've been lied to for a long time and we're just recently starting to find that out.

Anyway, good luck; it sounds like you're doing great!

It is a big transition and may take some time. You have been fueling your body on sugar for a long time.

In the beginning, I strictly followed the Keto calculator strictly but quickly found that it was too much fat and protein. I was eating a lot of food past satiety. I felt better and could manage 80% of the numbers generated for each. I did however adhere to under 25 grams of carbohydrates and manage to stay in ketosis. You really get to know your real fuel-energy needs on ketosis as opposed to the automatic 2 hour ringing of the bell when fueled on sugar.

I think you need to eat a lot of protein at one sitting for gluconeogenesis to occur.

Good luck with this! Congratulations on committing to improving your health!

The biggest benefit to this (or really any diet) is cutting out low nutrition high calorie foods (sugars/white flour/high fat foods). If you decide to moderate after three months keep to this and you’ll still be doing great!!!

Well, it's Sunday...I'm going to call Sunday progress day! Sunday will be the day that I report my weight and measurements. But first...yesterday's numbers.

Fat - 195 grams = 1755 calories 78%
Carbs - 17 grams = 68 calories 3%
Protein - 104 grams = 416 calories 19%
Total calories = 2239

As the rest of the week...my proportions are pretty inline with what I am doing and I kept my carbs below 20 grams.

Last week my measurements were:

Neck - 20 inches
Chest - 50 inches
Waist (over the belly button) - 55 inches

Weight - 328.8 pounds

Now I want to preface this with my wife is helping me measure my neck, chest, and waist. So I don't know how accurate or consistent these measurements will be. I say this because I am having a hard time believing what I am about to show.

This week measurements are:

Neck - 19.5 inches
Chest 50 inches
Waist - 52 inches

Weight - 314.6 pounds :117::117::117:

Okay so the 3 inch reduction in my waist in one week is hard to believe and I am waiting to see what next week is before I have total faith in this. But the weight I can't deny since I checked my scale a few times. According to my scale...I lost 14.2 pounds in a seven day period. Seriously...that is crazy!

I understand that most of this is water weight and there is no way I can sustain this type of weight loss. But in the mean time...I am super happy.

Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend!

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wow.

I was surprised when I looked at the scale today I'm down 15 lbs. It was 2 1/2 weeks ago I started. As Don said, I don't expect things to move this fast going forward. Nice side effect supporting my wife. We are trying to eat "all the colours" Limiting root vegetables and fruit. We are following the Wahls Protocol for MS and other autoimmune diseases. Pretty hard not to be in ketosis with what we are consuming and I've verified this with test strips.

Strangely my wife is the type to just like munching on veg. . . no dressing or anything. I, on the other hand need salad dressing, even if nothing other than olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Congrats Don. That is a positive first week.

Thanks Chad!

Wow.

I was surprised when I looked at the scale today I'm down 15 lbs. It was 2 1/2 weeks ago I started. As Don said, I don't expect things to move this fast going forward. Nice side effect supporting my wife. We are trying to eat "all the colours" Limiting root vegetables and fruit. We are following the Wahls Protocol for MS and other autoimmune diseases. Pretty hard not to be in ketosis with what we are consuming and I've verified this with test strips.

Strangely my wife is the type to just like munching on veg. . . no dressing or anything. I, on the other hand need salad dressing, even if nothing other than olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Excellent! I'm glad you are seeing some benefits also. Hope this works out for your wife as well.

Watch out guys.

Well I don't feel like I'm melting yet...I'll wait until I drop 30 pounds for that!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Proud of you my friend. Blown away, actually. Any total lifestyle change like you have started impress the heck out of wimps like me. You are still on my lists, by the way, and I believe He listens, cuz I don't talk to the wind. Continued strength my friend.

Yesterday was an interesting one. I actually had some SERIOUS hunger cravings for really the first time. I had breakfast around 10:30 AM with some eggs and bacon. Then around 2:30 PM I had these cravings. I had some cheese...and honestly, I think it made it worse. I was looking around for something low carb around the house to eat and for some reason I eyed a jar of pickles. They were on the smallish side but only one carb apiece. I scarfed down four of them and that seemed to do the trick. It was kind of weird, but I am wondering if my body was craving potassium? I will have to keep an eye on that.

Also, yesterday my macro proportions were out of wack. Still eating VERY low quantity of carbs, but I don't think I got enough fat in the day. I think I need to look into other fat bombs other than a Keto Coffee. Because I have learned, without at least one fat bomb a day, the 75-20-5 ratio is really hard to get to. Lessons learned I guess.

Yesterday's numbers are as:

Fat - 151 grams = 1359 calories - 71%
Carbs - 14 grams = 56 calories - 3%
Protein - 128 grams = 512 calories - 26%
Total Calories - 1927

My protein was a few grams high...but nothing catastrophic. But I really needed another dose of fat to put it all in order. The big thing is, however, that my carbs were still below 20 grams.

Proud of you my friend. Blown away, actually. Any total lifestyle change like you have started impress the heck out of wimps like me. You are still on my lists, by the way, and I believe He listens, cuz I don't talk to the wind. Continued strength my friend.

I will take all the help I can and I really appreciate you thinking of me!

You should look into Jimmy Moore's work. He is a big ketogenic diet advocate, you probably know of him. He was a big gent like you, 6'3" and 309 pounds and suffered the same metabolic impairment.

Here is a post where he graphs his weight loss for his first 30 days on a Keto diet.

Jimmy Moore’s n=1 Experiments: Nutritional Ketosis Day 1-30 « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

That was an interesting post! Thanks!

Sorry guys...just getting to this today. Normally I post in the morning but the cold weather is forcing me to do more work around the house in the morning. Anyway...

Yesterday I was doing good and then the wife decided to make hot wings in the instapot. Let's just say I indulged and lets's just say I upped my fat proportions. Well...it seems as...at least for now...that it didn't effect weight loss as I am still steadily becoming lighter. We will see in the days to come.

Here is what the numbers were for yesterday:

Fat - 274 = 2466 calories 81%
Carbs - 19 = 76 calories 2%
Protein - 128 = 512 calories 17%

I was going to go to the gym tonight but that have closed roads and we have ice everywhere. So stay at home Don it is.

I'll try to report more later. Have a good evening!

Another day in the books..and this one is about over too. Anyway yesterday probably had more carbs that any other day since I started...but capped it out at 20 grams. Still ended up with more calories than I probably needed. These days when I am home, I need to work on snacking and the such...even if it is on low carb food. Yesterday's numbers were:

Fat - 236 grams = 2124 calories - 77%
Carbs - 20 grams = 80 calories - 3%
Protein - 135 grams = 540 calories - 20%

Total Calories = 2744

So yesterday I overheard my wife tell her sister while she was on the phone that it is hard make meals for me. So I am set out to find a list of sample dinners to give her an idea. I still don't think she understands that this is not that restrictive in what I can eat. It's probably my fault because it might seem that I am restricting a good bit right now. And I am. That's because I am still trying to get into ketosis. Anyway, so that's my project over the next couple of days.

It's cold here in Louisiana. I know most of you will scoff at that comment...but it was 13 degrees this morning. Stay safe gents!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Still working things out. The particular protocol my wife is following is dairy free. We are adding MTC oil to her smoothies. I'm having MTC oil and grass fed butter in my coffee. Lunches are pretty light, today we had chicken slices and sprouts wrapped in lettuce and some berries. Tomorrow marks the end of week 3.

Sorry guys...just getting to this today. Normally I post in the morning but the cold weather is forcing me to do more work around the house in the morning. Anyway...

Yesterday I was doing good and then the wife decided to make hot wings in the instapot. Let's just say I indulged and lets's just say I upped my fat proportions. Well...it seems as...at least for now...that it didn't effect weight loss as I am still steadily becoming lighter. We will see in the days to come.

Here is what the numbers were for yesterday:

Fat - 274 = 2466 calories 81%
Carbs - 19 = 76 calories 2%
Protein - 128 = 512 calories 17%

I was going to go to the gym tonight but that have closed roads and we have ice everywhere. So stay at home Don it is.

I'll try to report more later. Have a good evening!

I've been enjoying coming by this thread to see your progress. I am on day 17 of whole 30. Keeping in there with you.

Do you have a recipe for these instant pot wings? We have an instant pot and I love hot wings...

Still working things out. The particular protocol my wife is following is dairy free. We are adding MTC oil to her smoothies. I'm having MTC oil and grass fed butter in my coffee. Lunches are pretty light, today we had chicken slices and sprouts wrapped in lettuce and some berries. Tomorrow marks the end of week 3.

Glad to see you still going Mike. I really want this to work out for you and your wife!

I've been enjoying coming by this thread to see your progress. I am on day 17 of whole 30. Keeping in there with you.

Do you have a recipe for these instant pot wings? We have an instant pot and I love hot wings...

You will have to let us know how things work out for you. I know I am curious!

As far as the wings go...I will get the exact settings she used on her Instat Pot, but quite literally she tossed some wings in some Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce (she may have added some Louisiana Hot Sauce also...we like em hot) and then put them in the Instant Pot. After they were done, she put the wings on a baking sheet and stuck them under the broiler for about five minutes to crisp them up. That was really it. You can also forgo the Instant Pot and just bake the wings and then broil for a couple of minutes. But in the Instant Pot...they came out really tender. A word of caution though...I can scarf down a ton of these guys, and if you are watching calories, then pay attention to how many you eat. If you are doing keto, then the good news is that it's all fat and protein.

Yesterday's numbers were a little out of wack as it was the first time I went over 20 grams of carbs (22 grams). As I am learning, there are carbs everywhere and I starting to thing that there is a conspiracy going on with big business, big government, and the sugar mafia. Seriously, if it's not corn syrup, then it's corn starch. And if it's not that...then it is some kind of corn filler or sugar or grain. Carbs are in everything. I get now why the Ketogenic Diet calls for eating whole foods. Anyway, my wife is attempting to make a keto friendly chili tonight...if it goes well I will be posting in the Keto thread in the mess hall.

Yesterday's numbers were:

Fat - 174 grams = 1566 calories - 73%
Carbs - 22 grams = 88 calories - 4%
Protein - 125 grams = 502 calories - 23%

Total Calories = 2156

It's a cold one out there so bundle up!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As I am learning, there are carbs everywhere and I starting to thing that there is a conspiracy going on with big business, big government, and the sugar mafia. Seriously, if it's not corn syrup, then it's corn starch. And if it's not that...then it is some kind of corn filler or sugar or grain. Carbs are in everything.

With the traditional "diet" (ie starve yourself and don't eat anything tasty/fatty) the big problem is always being hungry. You don't really get that with keto (unless you massively cut back on calories as well) ... but the big problem becomes dodging the hidden carbs. Everyone talks about "the keto flu" ... but IMHO the bigger problem is "the keto paranoia" about the carb/sugan conspiracy.

"Big Food, Big Sugar, and Big Pharma are putting carbs and sugar in everything to make us unhealthy and get us addicted to sugar so we keep eating more and more of that garbage so we are stuck eating more and more of their crap food, getting sicker and sicker, and needing more and more prescription medications to keep us from dying."

proxy.php

Aaaiiiighh!!!

Top Bottom