What's new

I wonder what this airgun will be like???

Once Pyramid gets them in hand, someone will be posting chrony data as part of a review. Looks very nice and could be sound competition to the Korean product out there today. The question is, "700 fps muzzle w/ 180 grains (.45)?" my, my... And .357 performance could only be cream on the top.. Might be worth getting off my sorry arse and building my shoulders & back up again!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Looks interesting. I wonder what the effective range would be for whitetails?

Looks interesting. I wonder what the effective range would be for whitetails?

If it’s like other big bores I’d guess about 100ish yards if you get a good one and work with it. For whatever reason big bores never seem to be that accurate. A couple inches at 100 yards is brag worthy.

Is this more due to inconsistencies of the pressure metering valve(s), ballistic coefficient of the slugs, or inconsistent manufacturing of the slug itself? I can imagine these considerations becoming geometrically problematic as the size of the rounds increase.

Legion

Staff member
Pardon my uneducated question, but what would the advantage be for an air gun like this over a similar gauge normal rifle, with normal bullets?

I had a regular air gun as a kid, but never considered it for hunting more than a rats or pest birds.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Convicted felons who cannot posses firearms who want to hunt, the extra challenge like hunting with a bow, local regulations?

I can’t speak to this air rifle. But if you do some searching, there are many air rifles out now that rival a .22 in effectiveness. Advantage? The pellets cost mere pennies each, as opposed to current .22 rim fire rounds. Also, many air rifles are made with integrated suppression, making them quite quiet.
Another advantage is that airguns are not a firearm. So, if you live in a regulation heavy state here in the US (which I do, thus my recent interest in airguns), you don’t need to go through the quite expensive licensing red tape.

Pardon my uneducated question, but what would the advantage be for an air gun like this over a similar gauge normal rifle, with normal bullets?

I had a regular air gun as a kid, but never considered it for hunting more than a rats or pest birds.

Just what everyone else said. Plus for me at least I just like airguns. One thing is that airgun quality has increased dramatically in the last several years. I know big bores have been around since before Lewis and Clark, but they have not really been very available until recently.

I can’t speak to this air rifle. But if you do some searching, there are many air rifles out now that rival a .22 in effectiveness. Advantage? The pellets cost mere pennies each, as opposed to current .22 rim fire rounds. Also, many air rifles are made with integrated suppression, making them quite quiet.
Another advantage is that airguns are not a firearm. So, if you live in a regulation heavy state here in the US (which I do, thus my recent interest in airguns), you don’t need to go through the quite expensive licensing red tape.

That depends on what you mean by "rival". The BC is way lower with airguns so you're gonna be a lot more limited. To frame things a little... There is a yearly shoot called Extreme Bench Rest in AZ. The shoot starts at 75 yards and a 2" ring is a nine. These guys are hitting 10's and X's but not with a ton of consistency. These are industry sponsored folks shooting the best equipment money can buy. 2" with even a modest quality rimfire is pretty common.

Is this more due to inconsistencies of the pressure metering valve(s), ballistic coefficient of the slugs, or inconsistent manufacturing of the slug itself? I can imagine these considerations becoming geometrically problematic as the size of the rounds increase.

I really don't know except to say that even the even the most expensive big bores suffer from these issues so I don't think it's an inconsistency issue.

I suspect that big bore valves are pushing against what physics allows. I also suspect that matching the barrel and ammo (speed twist etc) has not been developed to nearly the degree as with firearms. I notice that when guys are posting about anything close to a group at 100 yards they use fairly specialized ammo.

I've not looked into big bore BC, but it can't be that different than muzzleloader ammo.

FWIW a lot of guys hot rod AirForce guns to shoot .257 bullets and they seem to have quite a long reach; way more than big bores.

just a short 'off the cuff' : if you're metering a charge of air to move a .177 or even .22 down the bore of a button cut barrel you're likely to do very well at maintaining consistency of chronometer reads in the sweet spot of the reservoir.

Now we're speaking of relatively huge volumes/masses of air discharging in a way that the round is continuing to accelerate until near the muzzle and design terminal velocity at exit. An easy calculation of powder to ignite and burn, but air volume metering to start the round efficiently and progressively push harder, that's a bit of respectably remarkable engineering. I'm just of the opinion (amateur but well read two or three years ago.._) that the engineering has to be more elegant every nominal fraction of an inch diameter you add to a round in a compressed air delivery system.

Add manufacturer's might be catching up and all a shooter needs to do is weigh and judge rounds for use in their work, and you don't need to utilize proper rifle rounds for the larger bore to improve consistent delivery down range. Like you, I'd expect it's much like muzzle loaders, yet, even there I might choose a sabot system vice cast lead if I could consistently get good seals.

...? no one heard of anyone designing a wonder valve port? or, found a steam valve assembly they were able to miniaturize and adapt?... I was really hoping to hear an engineer come up with a bit of magic recently. Thinking about it, a tapered throttle valve might actually make the process work. Again, miniaturization and construction of a seat surface and material durable for hundreds of thousands of cycles with a consistent spring / sear assembly...

Anyone know a operator with experience using such for light suppression? (cant imagine much more effective than the suppressed rugger marks or colt targets in .22lr. but,?)

one of the main uses of it was to impress the locals as they made their way across the continent. “Peace through superior firepower”

Awesome storytelling at bigboreairguns ; linked off quackenbushairguns- thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom