What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

I don't know from experience what difference the bumps make in the shave, but they have to make some difference as they change the way the blade is held (maybe its angle).
There's not huge amount of difference, but there is some. I believe the no-bumps is a bit more aggressive, but with good techique (riding the cap), it's manageable, and will provide a nice shave. I have one of each, and enjoy using them both!

I chose these two as my introduction to SE razors, based on recommendations here on the forum. I must say, I'm astonished at the performance of the 1912. I never would've guessed that this would turn out to be one of my favorite razors.
View attachment 852908 View attachment 852909
Very nice introductory razors! I think I have a J type, but I have used it yet. I'll have to do so soon! And if you like the shave you get from your 1912, you must seek out a 1924 Shovel Head - you'll love shaving with that!! My Ever-Ready 1924 and my GEM Damaskeene 1912 are my 2 best shaving SE razors.

While out antiquing with my lovely wife today, I snagged some nice SEs: a Shick E2 and a Shick Repeating Razor, C type I believe.
I already have an E2, but I couldn't resist the nice marbling on this Bakelite handle.
IMG_20180115_224000.jpg

I believe there's a crack running down the side of this Shick Repeating razor, but I don't thing it will hurt anything. The plating on it is still in good shape. I'll clean it up and play with it some this week, and see how well the mechanism works. I also snagged an old Schick blade injector. It's still got some blades in it, and should clean up nice.
IMG_20180115_223944.jpg

I also got this Star 1912. Nothing special with this one, but I didn't have one like it, so now I do...
upload_2018-1-16_0-6-4.png

Just won this beauty on auction as my first SE razor. I have a vault of straights, a handful of DE, might as well finish the trifecta. The older open comb designs might offer a closer more aggressive shave, but I remember seeing my father shave with a G-Bar, so for now I’ll take a trip down memory lane with this!

That and the seller accepted my offer of $8 shipped, I couldn’t pass this up.
proxy.php

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just won this beauty on auction as my first SE razor. I have a vault of straights, a handful of DE, might as well finish the trifecta. The older open comb designs might offer a closer more aggressive shave, but I remember seeing my father shave with a G-Bar, so for now I’ll take a trip down memory lane with this!

That and the seller accepted my offer of $8 shipped, I couldn’t pass this up.
proxy.php

Cheers

That G-Bar looks like it was hardly used! I hope you enjoy shaving with it. Congrats!

That G-Bar looks like it was hardly used! I hope you enjoy shaving with it. Congrats!

Thank you. I’m pretty excited about trying something new.

The condition looks great in pictures. Any light scuffing should be remedied on the buffing wheel.

Nice pick-up. I see the gold one doesn't have the bumps. Anyone know what the shaved is like with a OCMM without the bumps?
with a standard Gem blade they are essentially the same. the ones with the bumps were for the Gem micromatic reversible blades. they made some blades with a double edge and no spline. the bumps held the blade and the same angle as the SE blades with the spline. i thought they shaved the same when i had both kinds. the ones without the bumps are older.

here is a picture from elsewhere on B&B
proxy.php

with a standard Gem blade they are essentially the same. the ones with the bumps were for the Gem micromatic reversible blades. they made some blades with a double edge and no spline. the bumps held the blade and the same angle as the SE blades with the spline. i thought they shaved the same when i had both kinds. the ones without the bumps are older.

here is a picture from elsewhere on B&B
proxy.php
I had no idea Gem did a DE blade. That's a cool piece of information!

proxy.php

eBarbershop Schick O Clone Injector.... Now just waiting for the Japanese pony express to deliver the twin injector blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mail Call:- Package arrived today and I'm looking forward to used the GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf after my last shave tomorrow with the Bullet Tip, not quite happy about the PAA Starling SE because there's a small error when loading the bloody GEM blade. I'll so see how this shave using the blue and yellow plate soon, because I'm desperate to used the GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf.

proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
eBarbershop Schick O Clone Injector.... Now just waiting for the Japanese pony express to deliver the twin injector blades.

The blades are worth waiting for. I'm going to guess you'll really like this razor with those blades. I know I do. It took me a while to get the angle and such. The razor is rather audible, and the angle is right when you hear it telling you it's right.

It is easy to use too much pressure. That took me a bit of time to learn with this one, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom