What's new

Something new from Remington

With those Accelerators, he couldnt hit a jack rabbit at 100.

Was going to ask about that. When they came out, the ballistics were "Wow!" Pretty dang flat on paper. Then looked up again and they were gone. The reason is supposed to be they just weren't accurate.

I've never seen one recovered from a deer and they were just as accurate as the Remington Copper Solids in my 11-87.

All this has me thinking 12 gauge combo packages. Rifled barrel for sabot slugs; change out with the regular barrel for shot. Lots of brush here.

But then my eye starts wandering to 30-06 and .308 Winchester. Sigh.

I bought an 870 Express Youth in 20ga. a few years back and it's been a great little gun for the money. A little shorter L.O.P. and a 21" barrel. I've shot clays at a friend's house and actually done pretty well with it - pretty well for ME. It's a nice little compact package and the bedside gun with #3 buck and a 1911.

When my best friend said he was trying to decide between an 870 Express or a Mossberg 500 for his first pump, I told him I had two Mossbergs and an 870. The 870 might cost twice as much as the 500 but it's three times the gun. I took all three over so he could check them out - next time I went over he had an 870 Express in 12.

I know some guys swear by their 500s but my 12 gauge forend is so loose (side to side rotation) it's hard to cycle smoothly and when I tried to shoot clays with the 20 gauge I won in a raffle, I fired one shell and the recoil impulse re-engaged the tang safety. I immediately ordered the steel safety upgrade kits for both guns from Midway. His wife now owns that 20 gauge and the 12 sits in the very back of my closet collecting dust.

As far as the new 870 DM models, a few look "interesting" but I think they're trying to fix something that isn't broken. If I've got to cycle the slide anyway, I'd prefer a traditional tube mag. If they really want to shake things up with a detachable box mag, the 1100 or Versa Max would've impressed me more.
Jack

EDIT: Before I got sidetracked my point was going to be directed to Rassermesser - the shorter LOP and 21" barrel of the Youth model makes it really good as a brush buster. I keep thinking about adding a 26" barrel for birds too.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
All this has me thinking 12 gauge combo packages. Rifled barrel for sabot slugs; change out with the regular barrel for shot. Lots of brush here.

Its easier carrying an extra choke tube than an extra barrel. Fully rifled barrels will be a little more accurate, but keeping 3 slugs on a 12" square paper at 100 off hand is pretty good. The majority of my slug shooting over the years has been well under 100 yards and most under 50.

When I was deer hunting the rifled tube was in the barrel, but I carried a modified tube in my shirt pocket with the wrench.

As far as the new 870 DM models, a few look "interesting" but I think they're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Tacticool.

Need a fast reload in a tube magazine.

Edit: Now I see those are discontinued as well lol.

TecLoader Shotgun Speedloader Kit Remington 870 - UPC: 197706166659

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For something to use as a bedside gun, or throw behind the seat of the pickup (which I rarely do as a handgun is easier to maneuver in tight quarters) I'm happy with my little alley sweeper.

I was out shooting clay birds with a friend of mine one time using a little thrower he had and was nailing them with my Sweet 16. I tried the little riot gun just for grins and couldn't hit crap. At across the room distance though it will throw a saucer sized pattern with 00 buck. I think I'll pick up some #4 buck to go in it.

img_0008-jpg.804908

img_0010-jpg.804911

For something to use as a bedside gun, or throw behind the seat of the pickup (which I rarely do as a handgun is easier to maneuver in tight quarters) I'm happy with my little alley sweeper.

I was out shooting clay birds with a friend of mine one time using a little thrower he had and was nailing them with my Sweet 16. I tried the little riot gun just for grins and couldn't hit crap. At across the room distance though it will throw a saucer sized pattern with 00 buck. I think I'll pick up some #4 buck to go in it.

img_0008-jpg.804908

img_0010-jpg.804911

Yes sir, I believe that would get the job done.
Jack

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yes Jack, it works just fine. I may not be able to hit clay birds on the wing with it, but I've qualified with it several times on the Police shotgun course using 00 buck.

It's definitely not fun to shoot with high brass ammo.

I woke up around midnight one night back in July of 2005 to what I thought was our cat knocking something off the counter. For some reason I decided to get up and have a cigarette and while I was sitting in the livingroom I heard the same sound - it was someone trying to pry open our front door with a crowbar. At the time I kept that 20ga. Mossberg in the livingroom closet, loaded with 3" #6 turkey loads "just in case." I grabbed the gun, cycled a shell into the chamber and butt-stroked the door as hard as I could - heard the guy run down the stairs (from our 3rd floor apartment) and drop what I knew from the sound was a crowbar. I waited a few seconds to make sure they weren't coming through the door, then went back to wake up my wife. While she called 911, I took a position in the hallway about 15 feet back from the door and waited for the police to arrive.

When I opened the door for the responding officer, the striker plate fell out of the door frame and landed on his shoe, the door itself was badly damaged and had to be replaced - that's when the adrenline dump hit me and I realized how close we'd come to having a very bad experience. To his credit, the officer was calm, polite and extraordinarily professional... and built like an NFL linebacker. He told me he'd already checked out the property before coming to our door (the longest 30 minutes of my life) - Nobody suspicious, just the crowbar downstairs and a huge 30 pound rock outside our door (???). They never caught the guy.

I made it a special point to email the captain of our local police precinct as well as the Metro Chief of Police to express our thanks and appreciation for the officer's (by name) efforts and professionalism. The next morning I bought an expandable security bar for the door, ordered a supply of #3 buckshot and started looking for carry permit classes.

I used to worry how I'd react if I ever had to face real danger, if I'd be man enough to handle it. That night I was completely calm, focused and determined to protect my wife, no matter what.

Sorry for the novel,
Jack

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I woke up around midnight one night back in July of 2005 to what I thought was our cat knocking something off the counter. For some reason I decided to get up and have a cigarette and while I was sitting in the livingroom I heard the same sound - it was someone trying to pry open our front door with a crowbar. At the time I kept that 20ga. Mossberg in the livingroom closet, loaded with 3" #6 turkey loads "just in case." I grabbed the gun, cycled a shell into the chamber and butt-stroked the door as hard as I could - heard the guy run down the stairs (from our 3rd floor apartment) and drop what I knew from the sound was a crowbar. I waited a few seconds to make sure they weren't coming through the door, then went back to wake up my wife. While she called 911, I took a position in the hallway about 15 feet back from the door and waited for the police to arrive.

When I opened the door for the responding officer, the striker plate fell out of the door frame and landed on his shoe, the door itself was badly damaged and had to be replaced - that's when the adrenline dump hit me and I realized how close we'd come to having a very bad experience. To his credit, the officer was calm, polite and extraordinarily professional... and built like an NFL linebacker. He told me he'd already checked out the property before coming to our door (the longest 30 minutes of my life) - Nobody suspicious, just the crowbar downstairs and a huge 30 pound rock outside our door (???). They never caught the guy.

I made it a special point to email the captain of our local police precinct as well as the Metro Chief of Police to express our thanks and appreciation for the officer's (by name) efforts and professionalism. The next morning I bought an expandable security bar for the door, ordered a supply of #3 buckshot and started looking for carry permit classes.

I used to worry how I'd react if I ever had to face real danger, if I'd be man enough to handle it. That night I was completely calm, focused and determined to protect my wife, no matter what.

Sorry for the novel,
Jack

Sounds like that was handled very well. A crowbar makes for a nasty impact weapon.

30 pound rock? What the heck?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Jack, a good read and glad x2 it worked out as it did ...

AA

+1 Those type of apartments where the front doors are inside a community hallway, offer Mr. Boogeyman more protection from being seen or heard then they do the residents in keeping the boogeyman out.

Much like this one.

Yeah, I couldn't figure the rock out either but it proved to me I that it was no young kid. There were a lot of sleepless nights after that.

The biggest shock was, the shotgun I grabbed that night was the same one that the recoil re-engaged the safety after the first shot at clays. I'll never buy another Mossberg. Unfortunately, based on the reports in this thread, it sounds like Remington's QC has slipped lately as well. All the great American companies I grew up with have gone to crap: Remington, Levi's...
Jack

Nice, but in this day and age we may need to keep in mind that some might claim this type of shotgun showed "intent" or something. Now, to be clear, I don't hold to such, but a standard shotgun can do double duty as hunting and a home defense tool and doesn't freak some people out as much. I have shot from the hip in a tight once, and while not recommended, it can be done, sometimes quicker than shouldering a shotgun, and does about the same thing as a stockless shotgun with dual pistol grips.

Again, I'm not critical of this sort of shotgun. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I'm just saying.

My step-sister's husband carries a similar setup when they go camping in black bear country. He seems to like them, he bought two. Me, I'd find somewhere else to go camping. I always thought they looked like they'd be abusive to the wrists in recoil.
Jack

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah, I couldn't figure the rock out either but it proved to me I that it was no young kid. There were a lot of sleepless nights after that.

The biggest shock was, the shotgun I grabbed that night was the same one that the recoil re-engaged the safety after the first shot at clays. I'll never buy another Mossberg. Unfortunately, based on the reports in this thread, it sounds like Remington's QC has slipped lately as well. All the great American companies I grew up with have gone to crap: Remington, Levi's...
Jack

Remington Arms sold to the foreign investment company, Cerberus Capital Management in 2007. I would think it took several years before QC started dropping off. Lots of quality, reasonably priced used 870's floating around that were manufactured before that time.

33C593BE-C6DE-4071-994B-34887027F18C.jpeg

Got this 3 1/2” 870 Super Magnum many years ago. Never missed a lick. I think after rebate and silly markdown (store was going out of the firearms business)
it cost me around $175-$200. Found the 24” rifle sight barrel for less than $50 at a pawn shop. Life can be good indeed.

Great score acme. I can't imagine popping off 3 1/2" mags with the synthetic stock. With my cervical fusion it just might break my PEZ spring.
Jack

Top Bottom