What's new

How many pens do you keep inked up?

Not sure how you guys do it.

One pen, when it is empty I usually wash it through, put it away and fill another. Usually same ink.

Not good.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Not sure how you guys do it.

One pen, when it is empty I usually wash it through, put it away and fill another. Usually same ink.

Not good.

Variety is the spice of life, my friend. :001_smile

I like to do sketches, and while all most all of them are monochromatic, different colors evoke different moods and inspiration. The same with notes during a lecture. I'm generally not switching out pens in the middle of note taking, but side notes afterwards can be more apparent with a different color of ink. Or, using a different color for each lecture in a single notebook can make it pretty easy to find a specific lecture without having to read any of the notes or looks for dates.

I have eight or nine inked right now. There was a time I tried doing 15-20. To many. Most of the time, I am around 10.

At least five or six. I only have two inked up right now and feel like I don't have any :/ Mostly because I have the ink mixing bug again and can't decide what I wanna try.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Twice as many as usual for me right now. I'm up to four, feeling giddy!

I bought a couple this month and I inked them to test drive, three blue and a blue-black.

Using one pen and a nonsaturated ink like Sheaffer or Waterman leads to less clogging/maintenance and more time to enjoy writing.

^^^ Not sure about what isn't good about the single pen thing..

I must confess to maintaining two inked pens. One mostly sits in my wife's purse, and the other is my daily use pen. When my pen is empty I either refill it or clean it and pick another pen to use for awhile. And like above it is normally the same ink.

- signed mr boring....

I have a Nock Co Brasstown case so six is generally the most I have inked. I often have one slot dedicated to a pencil and one dedicated to a ballpoint/rollerball (for sad occasions) so sometimes as few as four. Currently I have five. I have hit 10 a few times but try to keep to a smaller rotation for my sanity.

I think some would say that using a single pen and a single ink color was less than adventurous. I fill a pen, and usually a dark color, use it until it is empty then flush it through and then have something very different. Today it is a Jinhao X750 which is cup of coffee money and looks and works very well. The ink is a home blend and is deep purple almost black.

Jinhaox750.jpg

I'm a doc, and write more in one day than a lot of people do in a week- a milliliter of ink lasts half a day tops.

I carry four.

A Noodler's Ahab eyedropper with Diamine Registrar's, a Pilot Metro with Pilot Blue-Black, a Pilot Kakuno with Baystate Blue, and a fourth that rotates- today it's a Lamy Al-Star with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

I use my beloved pens less and less each year, as we become more digital and keyboard/GUI orientated.

I currently only have two pens inked up:
An Omas MOMA with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue, and;
An Omas Celluloid Arco Brown with vintage Parker Penman Sapphire.

Both pens are cursive italics custom ground by John Mottishaw.

I use my beloved pens less and less each year, as we become more digital and keyboard/GUI orientated.

I currently only have two pens inked up:
An Omas MOMA with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue, and;
An Omas Celluloid Arco Brown with vintage Parker Penman Sapphire.

Both pens are cursive italics custom ground by John Mottishaw.

Since you use both these inks side by side, how close do you feel they are to one another? A ton of people try to replicate PPS, including myself, and the closest I've gotten is a 50/50 mix of PR American Blue and PR DCSS Blue.

Since you use both these inks side by side, how close do you feel they are to one another? A ton of people try to replicate PPS, including myself, and the closest I've gotten is a 50/50 mix of PR American Blue and PR DCSS Blue.
I hear where you are coming from. I also use American Blue - another winner in my book.
Whilst the PR inks are very good, I prefer the Penman Sapphire -it has a richness and vibrancy to its hue that is hard to describe. It is alive with colour, yet paradoxically classic and slightly conservative, so it works for both private and business written communications. It is my favourite ink. I was fortunate enough to pick up 4 bottles from a collector who had lost the passion. I've used it for over 10 years, and never experienced any issues with solids precipitation noted by other users.
BTW - great avatar. I caught them on their final couple of tours in recent years. I just wish Bill Ward would've joined up with the boys.

Three at the moment but soon to be four. (Its that gift giving time of year)
Pelikan 205 inked w caran d'ache Ultra Violet
Pelikan 800 blue stripe inked a Iroshizuku Kon Peki
Pelikan 800 red stripe inked w Papier Plume Oyster Grey

And the soon to be 4th... Still wrapped and in the box...
Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl to be inked w Iroshizuku Ku Jaku

Four...
Kaweco Sport Ice, which is my traveling pen...I'm still going though the cartridges that came with it.
The Cross has Noodler's black bulletproof ink for writing checks and signing documents
A Parker 21 with Levenger Cardinal Red for marking. A cranky old pen, but I still like it.
And my favorite, a Waterman Phileas, currently filled with Waterman Inspired Blue, for everything else.

As I'm posting this, I just noticed that my Cross pen has developed a large crack below the clip.
I might have to add something to my Christmas list.

Top Bottom