What's new

Heat Treating, Forging, Etc.

The Sandia forge routes the exhaust gasses out the top with the burner tubes routed through the exhaust gasses to preheat the intake for high efficiency. It's nice that the exhaust goes up, away from the smith, but the big drawback IMO is that the arrangement precludes a pass through door for longer projects. I personally don't like working with this design.

Photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like that would reduce your oxygen intake and defeat any gain you would get by preheating.
It's a heat exchange affair, so the exhaust gas is kept out of the intake.

Photos?

Oooops, I just got back from there.

I made good progress on two 'Moai' in a short amount of time. Having a striker is a huge help on these because a lot of the work involve the use of top tools.

I got some more work done on the 'Moai' today. At the open forge on Saturday I stopped working on them after all of the heavy work was done with the striker. After a lunch break I was helping another member heat treat a wood chisel and I never got back to them.

Last Friday I was working on a pair of tongs to hold 1" square or round. My neighbor stopped offer to deliver a piece of our mail that he had found in his yard. We talked for a while and he watched me working on the tongs. He said that he had a 200 lb Hay Budden anvil and a blower. I told him what I thought they were worth.

After I finished the tongs I brought them over to his house to show them to him, and for me to see his anvil. When he came to the door he told me he had been watching forging videos since he got home. We talked for a while and then I asked to see the anvil. It was in good shape and I told him it would be best if he set a price on it that I could tell people, and he said "Well now I'm thinking of using it"!

I did not even think of inviting him to the open forge the following day, which I feel really stupid about now. That would have for sure hooked him.

It's a heat exchange affair, so the exhaust gas is kept out of the intake.

That makes sense.

Last Friday I was working on a pair of tongs to hold 1" square or round. My neighbor stopped offer to deliver a piece of our mail that he had found in his yard. We talked for a while and he watched me working on the tongs. He said that he had a 200 lb Hay Budden anvil and a blower. I told him what I thought they were worth.

After I finished the tongs I brought them over to his house to show them to him, and for me to see his anvil. When he came to the door he told me he had been watching forging videos since he got home. We talked for a while and then I asked to see the anvil. It was in good shape and I told him it would be best if he set a price on it that I could tell people, and he said "Well now I'm thinking of using it"!

I did not even think of inviting him to the open forge the following day, which I feel really stupid about now. That would have for sure hooked him.

Why can't I live next door to someone to help me out? You have a lucky neighbor.

Haven't been on much guys. Mostly just checking in on my phone, but touchscreens and I do not get along at all, so I haven't been posting much.

Anyway. I made a little progress. This one needs a final sharpening, and maybe I can figure out another sheath, but it's pretty much done.

DSC_0503.JPG

I've been working on a new coal rake ala Brian Brazeal except without the horse head and bottle opener. I'm going to convert my present rake to a water can holder. All of the forge work is done on the 'Moai' just have to make a few cuts to finish them.

Got a little bit done on it today. Got it rough shaped and sort of cleaned up. Tank started freezing up on me when I was trying to draw out my tang some more, and the other one is empty. Plus it was getting pretty cold out with the flame dying down, so I called it a night.

DSC_0505.JPG

The Wootz that Bruno uses is the modern production of real 'Damascus' steel. The carbide arrays give the steel that watery look that people tried to duplicate with PWS [pattern welded steel]. PWS has incorrectly become known as Damascus because of this. There is a very good video on the production of true Damascus steel here;

To avoid derailing the other thread.

That's a great video. Thanks for showing that.

So basically, "true" wootz is mainly just the alloys in the ore. It is in theory the same as any crucible steel, and pattern welded through the constant thermo-cycling.

Kind of like "true" tamahagani is reliant on the alloys in the black sand it's made from.

So basically, "true" wootz is mainly just the alloys in the ore. It is in theory the same as any crucible steel, and pattern welded through the constant thermo-cycling.
It's still unclear to me what causes the carbide arrays. I used to think that it was dendretic, but that video seems to dispel that.

It's still unclear to me what causes the carbide arrays. I used to think that it was dendretic, but that video seems to dispel that.
Maybe not.... Is that what he's doing with the thermo-cycling after every heat/movement? Allowing it to restructure constantly making the dendric formations and the pattern?

To avoid derailing the other thread.

That's a great video. Thanks for showing that.

Kind of like "true" tamahagani is reliant on the alloys in the black sand it's made from.

I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

Maybe not.... Is that what he's doing with the thermo-cycling after every heat/movement? Allowing it to restructure constantly making the dendric formations and the pattern?
He said that the thermocycling was for grain size reduction. I do a bit of this at end of the forging of my blades and again at the heat treat. Forging typically reduces grain size by itself because the grains are mechanically elongated with the hammer and then reform into smaller grains in the transition.

He said that the thermocycling was for grain size reduction. I do a bit of this at end of the forging of my blades and again at the heat treat. Forging typically reduces grain size by itself because the grains are mechanically elongated with the hammer and then reform into smaller grains in the transition.
Yeah, you're right. My brain was on a different track.

I'm not sure either. They said dendritic pattern crucible steel wasn't as strong and the indian/persian/damascus crucible steel had the carbide pattern. So must be something in the ore they are using to get the different elements?

Top Bottom