What's new

Favorite artisanal pipe maker(s)?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Since we now have the 2017 B&B LE, and Christmas is right around the corner, I'm thinking about finally having a custom pipe commissioned. I have a few artisanal pipes, including pieces from Larryson, Mark Tinsky, Moretti, and Peder Jeppesen. I know that I would be more than happy with another pipe from any of those guys, but I'm curious of the makers out there that excite all of you. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge or experience with the different artisan pipe makers out there, so any and every suggestion is welcome!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This probably isn't the high level of artisan you are looking for, but I really like Chris Morgan's pipes. I'm pretty much a noob on pipes. Less than a year. I'm a big cigar guy, but a few of my smoking buddies are huge pipe guys and got me started. I have a few production pipes. But I got a couple of Morgans and they seem really wonderful to me.

A lot depends on what you're looking for, and what kind of budget you're playing with. While some guys do a lot of things quite well, there are some who really excel at certain things enough to consider them "signature" trademarks. For example, Jose Rubio makes a fine pipe, with great smoking qualities, but his "dragon scale" finish is just exceptional, and kind of his signature. Walt Cannoy has his suedeblast - maybe the most unique finish out there.

On the lookout in Vegas, I was impressed with pipes by Jim Deschaine, Mark Stout, and Jason Thompson (more or less on the "reasonable" end of the spectrum); as well as guys like Scott Klein and Jared Coles (more in the "hope my wife doesn't see the receipt" range). Of course, there was also some mind-blowing work by Tonni Nielsen and Jeff Gracik, in case your millionaire uncle just willed you a trust fund.

Find a shape or style you want and that will dictate where you go. Some makers make a shape better than others. I follow a lot of pipe makers on Instagram. Jim Deschaine and Jason Thompson included. Clark Layton hasn't been mentioned and does some good ones. Paul Menard does some fun stuff... Chheda is a local for me as is Tim West.

Another question to think about after contacting makers/possibly before is how long will the pipe take to make?

Price, you always make me laugh. I wish I had that uncle...

I’ll second Jim Deschaine. He really does some wonderful work and is right up my alley style wise.

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of shapes are you into?

I have to say, if you are not looking for a shelf piece but instead a pipe that you can put in your pocket and smokes like a work horse check out Rick Black pipes.
Rick does very nice commissions.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

Price, you always make me laugh. I wish I had that uncle...

I’ll second Jim Deschaine. He really does some wonderful work and is right up my alley style wise.

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of shapes are you into?

For me, it all depends on the pipe maker and model. I have quite a number of shapes represented in my hoard. There are some shapes that I'm not into regardless of the maker though: churchwardens, oom pauls, tankards, Canadians, chimneys.

For me, it all depends on the pipe maker and model. I have quite a number of shapes represented in my hoard. There are some shapes that I'm not into regardless of the maker though: churchwardens, oom pauls, tankards, Canadians, chimneys.
Smoke a Oom Paul and it might change your mind

Similar to my list of not really liking, minus churchwardens. I have a soft spot for those. lol

Two Japanese carvers I’ve been watching for some time are Toshiya Gotoh and Splendour pipes.

I think Deschaine is really up my alley and will probably commission something soon.

Jose Rubio, Abe herbaugh, Nate King, Bill Shalosky and Ryan Alden are also on my radar.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Two Japanese carvers I’ve been watching for some time are Toshiya Gotoh and Splendour pipes.

I think Deschaine is really up my alley and will probably commission something soon.

Jose Rubio, Abe herbaugh, Nate King, Bill Shalosky and Ryan Alden are also on my radar.

Arigatou gozaimasu! I was involved in a student exchange program back when I was in middle school. My hometown's sister city was Konan-cho in the Shiga prefecture, and it was where I lived for a week. Visiting Japan at that age and under those circumstances was one of the most profound experiences of my life.

I will definitely give a look at those two carvers that you mentioned as well.

Last edited:
Reum Pipes has some nice looking stuff too. I discovered him last night on Instagram. He has a Facebook page.

There are a couple Russian Carver's on Facebook that I see some pipes and like. I just can't think of their names and I need to get to bed...

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have one of his pipes. Solid work.

Ditto. But from a commission point of view, he only makes a few different shapes so far and depending on what Erik wants, he could be a good or a bad choice. He’d be easy to work with though and the price would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been following Biftek Pipes (biftek91 on instagram) for a while. His variety has intrigued me. His latest stuff is on the fantasy end of the spectrum, but I have seen just about every style come through his feed.

As the co-conspirator on 2+ LE pipes with both makers, I may have some insight that may be useful. I can say that Paul from Larryssons Pipes would be hard to top on talent, accessibility, and especially communication. I have no problem endorsing him for your tobacco combustion consumption addiction.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As the co-conspirator on 2+ LE pipes with both makers, I may have some insight that may be useful. I can say that Paul from Larryssons Pipes would be hard to top on talent, accessibility, and especially communication. I have no problem endorsing him for your tobacco combustion consumption addiction.
I got the 2017 LE pipe he made for us- excellent work. Plus, he is a member @HUB-ART

Top Bottom