What's new

Impossible to shave every day or other day

I am having severe trouble shaving every other day, it is impossible, my hairs just dont want to co-operate, I am black with coarse kinky hair, i spend 30minutes under a hot shower and try to shave, i prefer going against the grain for perfect results and it is hard and I cut myself ALLOT of times but when I let my hair grow for about a week and shave everything comes off smooth. I need some tips to keep my skull at all times clean shaved with no or very little shadow. Here is my routine.

I shower for 30minutes in hot water.
Normally I use Gillete shaving gel or coconut oil, but always coconut oil somewhere in the middle of the shower.. like 15min into it.
My straight razor is the Rockwell 6C and use their own Rockwell blades..

Need help, do I need to change blades or is there a technique I should use.. I am kinda anxious to try out blades like Feather since I took a chunk of my flesh one time using Rockwell razors and took a whole week just to stop the bleeding and now I have a permanent bold spot.. which I am indifferent about since I want my head to be just as hairfree as that bald spot.

HELP ME!

I have a Rockwell razor but I don't like the blades. I would try Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver SI, Nacet, or Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. Which baseplate are you using with the Rockwell?

I am having severe trouble shaving every other day, it is impossible, my hairs just dont want to co-operate, I am black with coarse kinky hair, i spend 30minutes under a hot shower and try to shave, i prefer going against the grain for perfect results and it is hard and I cut myself ALLOT of times but when I let my hair grow for about a week and shave everything comes off smooth. I need some tips to keep my skull at all times clean shaved with no or very little shadow. Here is my routine.

I shower for 30minutes in hot water.
Normally I use Gillete shaving gel or coconut oil, but always coconut oil somewhere in the middle of the shower.. like 15min into it.
My straight razor is the Rockwell 6C and use their own Rockwell blades..

Need help, do I need to change blades or is there a technique I should use.. I am kinda anxious to try out blades like Feather since I took a chunk of my flesh one time using Rockwell razors and took a whole week just to stop the bleeding and now I have a permanent bold spot.. which I am indifferent about since I want my head to be just as hairfree as that bald spot.

HELP ME!

Just curious, do you only go against the grain or do you do multiple passes? Does that work well with shaving your head? Is it the angle? Would a DE work a little better?

i prefer going against the grain for perfect results and it is hard and I cut myself ALLOT of times but when I let my hair grow for about a week and shave everything comes off smooth.
Are you doing a multi pass shave or are you trying an against the grain pass as your first pass? Cuts are due to poor technique; poor blade angle and/or too much pressure . What blade angle are you using? see:Blade Angle or see: Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED
Are you shaving in the shower, something like half way through? Is the coconut oil for shaving or preparation? I am a little confused.
is there a technique I should use..
I think technique is your main problem but possibly preparation as well. You would be better off with soap lather which will allow you to see where you have shaved and thus avoid excessive overlapping of your strokes. Are you shaving without a mirror? I would certainly try a different blade like the Astra SP.
Some more information would help.

Just curious, do you only go against the grain or do you do multiple passes? Does that work well with shaving your head? Is it the angle? Would a DE work a little better?
Only go against the grain because it gives me the desired effect, going with the grain at the back and middle of my head does almost nothing to the hairs.

Are you doing a multi pass shave or are you trying an against the grain pass as your first pass? Cuts are due to poor technique; poor blade angle and/or too much pressure . What blade angle are you using? see:Blade Angle or see: Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED

Are you shaving in the shower, something like half way through? Is the coconut oil for shaving or preparation? I am a little confused.

I think technique is your main problem but possibly preparation as well. You would be better off with soap lather which will allow you to see where you have shaved and thus avoid excessive overlapping of your strokes. Are you shaving without a mirror? I would certainly try a different blade like the Astra SP.
Some more information would help.
I dont shave in the shower, got a broken arm and elbow using a mirror is out of the question for now. I now use my hand to feel about.. I dont think I do excessive overlapping because I can hardly go one time without cutting myself and excruciating pain (i'm talking about when I attempt to shave a day or 2-3 after my last shave, if I wait a week everything goes smooth, every hair is gone with like 1 - 3 rounds).

I will order those test blades somewhere in December hopefully.. since ASTRA has been recommeneded so often I'' get that too, just from personal research I heard allot of good stuff about :
Polsilver, I hear its almost as sharp as Feather but smoother and more forgiving.
Voskhod, some say its unique, in what way i dont know.
Gillette Black, they say its good.

I wonder what your thoughts about those razors are. and thx for y'alls assistance so far.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am black with coarse kinky hair

I have read that shaving can become a particular problem for those of your ethnicity. I'm not sure I understand why, but I have read that a more rigid design can help a lot. There was even a razor marketed to people that have such issues with shaving, the Bevel razor.

If you'd like to try a more rigid design, I can highly suggest this one and for the cost, its certainly worth a look.

RazoRock Teck II Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Please answer the questions below because I am really trying to understand your problem.
What blade angle are you using? see:Blade Angle or see: Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED

Is the coconut oil for shaving or preparation? I am a little confused.

I dont think I do excessive overlapping because I can hardly go one time without cutting myself and excruciating pain
On one hand you say "every hair is gone with like 1 - 3 rounds", yet in the above you say you "can hardly go one time without cutting yourself". Those 2 statements appear to be contradictory. Can you explain?

I wonder what your thoughts about those razors are
When you say razors I assume you mean razor blades.
Some like Voshkod blades but I don't find them as smooth as the Gillette Silver Blue or Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades. I hear the Polsilver SI blades are also good. I would try the Connaught Shaving Gillette sample blade pack.
Gillette 40.JPG

Welcome aboard! We are here to help. I have three suggestions:

1. My initial suggestion would be that you focus on going WTG only to start.
2. Work on getting the optimal razor angle (see the wiki).
3. Focus in NO pressure.

Keep at it and you will get there!

Please answer the questions below because I am really trying to understand your problem.

On one hand you say "every hair is gone with like 1 - 3 rounds", yet in the above you say you "can hardly go one time without cutting yourself". Those 2 statements appear to be contradictory. Can you explain?

When you say razors I assume you mean razor blades.
Some like Voshkod blades but I don't find them as smooth as the Gillette Silver Blue or Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades. I hear the Polsilver SI blades are also good. I would try the Connaught Shaving Gillette sample blade pack.
View attachment 838547

1) What I meant is when I attempt to shave a day or 2-3 after my last shave I have a very hard time but when I wait a week to shave again everything goes smooth.

2) I use coconut oil as preparation.

@Esox Bevel was an option but they are quite expensive and I don't live in US and last time I checked the shipping alone would cost almost 25% of the actual product, sadly im on a tight budget considering I got surgery next week which I am sure will cost me a few thousand I can't afford it at this time and I wonder if it has any beneficial improvements from the competition since most Straight Razor companies core market are not necessarily head/skull shavers but face which is entirely different to shaving the head in my experience.

@BigJ Ill check it out. thx.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Bevel was an option but they are quite expensive and I don't live in US and last time I checked the shipping alone would cost almost 25% of the actual product, sadly im on a tight budget considering I got surgery next week which I am sure will cost me a few thousand I can't afford it at this time and I wonder if it has any beneficial improvements from the competition since most Straight Razor companies core market are not necessarily head/skull shavers but face which is entirely different to shaving the head in my experience.

The Bevel is a bit pricey. There are clones on Amazon I think. The one I linked to in my first post is essentially the same design, a copy of the post war Gillette Tech and the RazoRock also has covered blade tabs like the Bevel. I would expect them to perform in a similar manner.

Head shaving can be even more difficult as the hair can be thicker and more dense. Many use SE razors, Single Edge. Like DE razors, there are many vintage razors in both SE and DE designs and are easy to find both on Ebay and the B/S/T area of this forum.

If you'd like to try a vintage any of the Gillette TTO, Twist To Open razors should work well, along with the post war Gillette Tech.

Many people of African, Mediterranean, & South/West Asian ethnicities have similar problems. Mine were enough that I had to grow a beard till my mid 20's. Trying to get a BBS is contraindicated under these conditions.

Hot water does soften hair some, but I'd suggest replacing gel with shaving cream or soap. Gel does not soften hair much as its based on SLS/SLES. Shaving creams & soaps are based on alkali stearates. Gels popularity is largely due to the fact that they are unaffected by hard water.

Rockwell 6C is a DE, not a straight. You'll probably have to search for just the right blade, & th search could take a while.

I'm not sure why you are shaving ATG with a DE without first doing a WTG pass. For me, that would be a prescription for trouble. If the shaving related irritation is enough that you are shaving but once a week, a better choice would be to shave WTG only on a daily basis, till your skin settles down. Then slowly add an XTG pass after a couple of weeks, & finally, IF your skin can take it, an ATG.
(My skin cant take ATG under any conditions & I have had to come to terms with it)

In Holland you'll have access to Merkur, Muehle, Fatip from Italy, E.J. from the UK & the Turkish razors from Rocnel. Sourcing razors from the US doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Straight Razor companies
I don't think we are discussing straight razors we are discussing double edge razors.
I am sorry to hear about your injury and hope you make an early recovery. Seems to me you are looking at about 6 weeks recuperation.
To sum up and I hope I have understood you correctly;
1. You are shaving your head one handed because you have injured one arm and cannot stretch your skin as you shave
a. Okay for the back of the head because you can tilt your head forward and stretch the skin
b. Work the lather well into the stubble. I have not used gel but am told it can be slicker than foam
c. Don’t try to force the razor by using pressure because it will bite as you have found out. Loose skin is very easily caught by the blade
d. Very light pressure will give better results and it is important you find the correct blade angle
e. Rockwell blades may be part of the problem so get some blade samples soon. A switch to Astra SP for now may be a good move
f. With your current injury don’t expect great results

2. You cannot see what you are doing
a. Hard to maintain a constant blade angle under those circumstances until you gain the experience. Again I would urge you to look at this thread; Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED
b. Cannot tell how much overlap on each stroke of the razor so you may get irritation if you don’t have a slick lather. It is tough to feel the stubble and work the razor one handed
c. Try and shave in front of a fixed mirror, it will help to improve your technique
d. Out of interest, how do you shave your face?

3. You only do against the grain passes
a. Suggest that blade angle is a problem, I note the Rockwell plates shave at different angles so you need to experiment for best results. Hopefully a Rockwell 6C user will be able to advise you
b. Perhaps work with plate 3 or 4 initially till you are getting a reasonable result. Using the 5 or 6 plate is a step too far at the moment. You may be able to do daily shaves on plates 1 or 2. It is a matter of experimenting with the various options available to you
c. Try a cross grain pass and then an against the grain pass. Using the double edge razor is about gradual reduction of the stubble. You should be doing a minimum of 2 passes with 5 -7 mm hair growth.
d. Don’t aim for a baby butt smooth (BBS) shave initially till your technique has improved and I think this is a major stumbling block for you at the moment
e. If you can get a close comfortable 2 pass shave every 3 days I would accept that as an interim result

4. You have to wait something like 6 or 7 days between head shaves or you have severe problems
a. Given your injury is a major handicap to your shaves I would accept that frequency till you recover from the injury
b. Technique is hard enough to learn so don’t rush the learning experience, be patient
c. I am doubtful the Bevel razor is any better than the Rockwell 6C. Good technique and preparation will give you the close shaves you seek.

I hope the above will be helpful to you. In time you will be able to head shave daily.

got confused lol, I meant safety razors.

The Bevel is a bit pricey. There are clones on Amazon I think. The one I linked to in my first post is essentially the same design, a copy of the post war Gillette Tech and the RazoRock also has covered blade tabs like the Bevel. I would expect them to perform in a similar manner.

Head shaving can be even more difficult as the hair can be thicker and more dense. Many use SE razors, Single Edge. Like DE razors, there are many vintage razors in both SE and DE designs and are easy to find both on Ebay and the B/S/T area of this forum.

If you'd like to try a vintage any of the Gillette TTO, Twist To Open razors should work well, along with the post war Gillette Tech.

I'm not sure why you are shaving ATG with a DE without first doing a WTG pass. For me, that would be a prescription for trouble.
WTG hardly does anything for the back and middle part of my head. Ill try cream or soap, see how it goes.

d. Out of interest, how do you shave your face?
With rockwell with the 6th blade.
That was allot of tips, thx I think I got enough info to get better at this.

Thank you so very much guys.

@dante keep us informed. I think there are many here that really want to help you out and it looks like they are giving you some great suggestions. I wish I had something for you , but I have never shaved my head. So I think I will stay out of this one. But keep asking questions...we have great members here that really want to help.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've read through this thread, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're asking.

If you had to boil it all down, what is the one thing you're not achieving that you most want to achieve with your shaving?

If you're cutting yourself a lot maybe your razor is too aggressive or not rigid. However, this doesn't fly too well, as it looks like you're not cutting yourself when you have a few days growth.

Like others here I am a member of a well known and secret society.

Enablers Secret Society.jpg

That means we're going to suggest all sorts of things, but particularly other razors. Sometimes the solution is to get better with your current tools, and sometimes the problem is the tools you're using are not suitable. I've not used the razor you have, but I believe it is not rigidly holding the razor blade (compared to some other razors) which can be a problem for some shavers, but it not a problem for other people.

I don't know anything about head shaving from my own experience. Just from shaving my face and neck I know that if I can go a few days (which I generally can't) I get a better shave. It seems easier to shave whiskers which are a few days long. Knowing that does not help me because I really have to shave just about every day.

BOSC Shavers Helping Shavers.jpg

Many people will try to help you here, and they'll be more able to help the more you can clarify what you're doing, and what your challenges are, and what your objectives are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom