Straight Razor Shave #94

Pre Shave: Grooming Lounge Mug Cleaner Face Wash
Hot Towel
Straight Razor: Harvard Cutlery Co. Pearlette
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Distruptor 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Omega Via Barberia Aquae
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block, and Thayers
After Shave: Omega Via Barberia Aquae After Shave Serum

Went with the Omega Aquae for today's shave. The strength of scent of this soap is good 3 of 5 in the tub and about the same lathered. Maybe it makes it to a 4. Scent last throughout the shave. Easy to lather, good slickness, cushion, and residual slickenss. No problem with stability. The scent is a nice clean aquatic citrus smell. I like it!
Right off the bat I got a little kiss from the Pearlette. Nothing major, but a love bite just the same. Finished up 3 1/2 passes, picked up 2 more slight weepers. Little to no alum sting. We'll call this one BBS-.
This After Shave Serum is awesome. The performance is definitely top notch. One of the best that I've used performance wise. The scent is a dead match to the soap. Strength of scent is 3 of 5. Longevity was about 3 hours.
If you haven't used one of these Omega Via Barberia products yet I recommend that you do. Put it on your Christmas wish list!

Setup 11-15-2017
Setup-11-15-2017.jpg

11-17-2017
Straight Razor Shave #95

Pre Shave: Grooming Lounge Mug Cleaner Face Wash
Hot Towel
Straight Razor: Klas Tornblom Eskilstuna
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Black & White Synthetic
Soap: RazoRock Irish Countryside
After Shave: RazoRock Irish Countryside
Cologne: Zcent Irish Countryside

Irish Country side is RazoRock's take on Creed Green Irish Tweed. I've never smelled Creed, but this stuff is awesome! A nice green masculine scent is the best way I can describe it.
The soap is typical RazoRock performance.
3 1/2 passes with the Klas and I'm BBS+. Just a little alum sting, no nicks or weepers.
Splashed on the ASL and a few vasilis of the Zcent and I'm all ready to hit this day.
All 3 of these products are a dead on scent match.

Setup 11-17-2017
Setup-11-17-2017.jpg

There I'm all caught up on my shaves! Now to get caught up on my reading.

11-18-2017
Straight Razor Shave #96

Pre Shave: LAB Series Multi-Action Face Wash
Hot Towel
Straight Razor: Klas Tornblom Eskilstuna
Brush: Stirling Soap Co. Finest Badger Shave Brush - 26mm
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
After Shave: Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Post Shave Balm
None Shave Areas: Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Ultra Hydrating Cream
Cologne: Jimmy Choo Man Intense

Well it looks like my Williams lathering skills are in tact but my Mitchell's are waning. I did finally get a usable lather, and that is all I'm going to say about it.
The shave itself went pretty good. Picked up three slight weepers in a row on my neck and one on my chin. No little to no alum burn. I'll call this one BBS-.
Rubbed on some ASB and followed up with the Jimmy Choo and I'm headed to watch the Alabama vs Mercer football game at my cigar lounge.

Setup 11-18-2017
Setup-11-18-2017.jpg

I was a little late getting to the lounge and missed the 1st two Alabama touchdowns. Had mo normal Canimao cigar and it pretty much made into the 4th quarter. I really don't like these early games, but I like them better than the late ones!!
Finished watching the Alabama Crimson Tide blow out the Mercer Bears as expected. ROLL TIDE! Now for the only game of the year that really matters. The Iron Bowl! Having some Wild Turkey Bourbon and an Asylum 13 70x7 cigar to celebrate the win.
Plan on catching up on some Journal reading and doing some Mr. Bingle stalking tonight.

11-20-2017
Pre Shave: Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
Hot Towel
Double Edge Razor: Delta Echo Custom Roll Tide G1 Gillette Fatboy
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Parker Slivertip Badger
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street St. James
After Shave: Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion
Cologne: Hoyt's Cologne

Once again using the Delta Echo Roll Tide Razor to celebrate the Alabama Crimson Tide's victory over the Mercer Bears 56 - 0 Roll Tide!!
Haven't used any of my TOBS creams in a while so I choose the St. James today. Love the scent of this cream! The parker whipped up a typical TOBS lather and the Delta Echo delivered a great shave after 3 passes and some clean up. No nicks or weepers, and just a slight alum sting on a stubborn patch of chin growth.
Splashed on some Clubman ASL and followed up with some Hoyte's. A very nice paring IMHO.

Setup 11-20-2017
Setup-11-20-2017.jpg

Well I finished the restoration of the J.A. Henckels Twinworks 50.
I think it turned out pretty nice.
I used the DMT Dia-Sharp D8C to remove the edge pitting. I put on 3 layers of tape and removed the pits, then removed a layer, and honed until it looked like the egde had been established with my loupe, I did the same with the remaining two layers.
I then proceeded to the Shapton Professional Ceramic Wet Stones.
I did the bevel set on the 1K and was passing the cherry tomato test IMHO and then progressed to the 5K, 8K and finished with the 12K. Then 25 laps each on the 0.3 chromium oxide and 0.1 diamond pasted balsa. Finishing with 100 laps or so on the Poor Mans Strop. The edge was HHT for the full length and tree topping arm hairs. The bit question is will it shave?

Web-20171121_181950.jpg
Web-20171121_182021.jpg
Web-20171121_182121.jpg

11-21-2017
Straight Razor Shave #97

Pre Shave: Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser
Hot Towel
Straight Razor: J.A. Henckels Twinworks 50 Restored by clyde72
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830 Boar
Soap: Soap Commander Honor
After Shave: Soap Commander Honor After Shave Balm
None Shave Areas: Bull Dog Original Moisturizer

Well here it is the 1st shave of my 1st full restoration and my 1st attempt at honing a straight razor from bevel set to finish.

Will-There-Be-Blood.jpg

I whipped up a great Soap Commander Lather with the Semogue and proceeded to the shave.
I must say the weight and balance of this restoration feels great! I think it was a good move to put the brass in for the wedge. Gives it just a little more weight for balancing.
Okay now for the real test, stretch the skin in front of the right ear, deep breath and here we go! Hmmm not bad. I'm removing whiskers and I'm not bleeding nor am I having to apply pressure. The angle wasn't had to find.
1st pass complete and no blood! Face feels good. Rinse and apply lather for 2nd pass.
Nice XTG pass! Still no blood! I don't feel any irritation during the rinse. I could stop here I'm DFS for sure. Lather up for 3rd pass. OUCH! Well that wasn't the razor's fault. That was all Craig. Just a slight love nip just below the lip. Nothing major. Rinsed and did the 1/2 opposite direction XTG on my neck and I'm BBS+. Mild to no alum sting. If not for the nip, this would be one of my top 10 shaves for sure!
Finished with some of the SC Balm.

Now lets see how this shave holds up. At 8 hours I was still mostly BBS-. At 12 hours I was DFS. I'd call that pretty good!

I'm going to call this edge a A-. It was sharp and plenty smooth, but I think it could be just a hair sharper. No bad for my 1st attempt!!

Setup 11-21-2017
Setup-11-21-2017.jpg

This was definitely a learning experience and I now know a few things to do and not to do on the next one, both in the restoring and honing. First of all DON'T DROP THE RAZOR!! But even that booboo lead to an great learning experience in reshaping the point.

Can't believe I've made it to this point, when all I started out to do was save a little money and have a quicker shave. Yeah I think I failed on both of those points, but I sure am enjoying the ride! And getting some great shaves! My face has never felt better!

I want to thank everyone here who has contributed to my Wet Shaving Journey! B&B and the cadre is a great source of knowledge, encouragement, advice, and help!

Last edited:
Truly awesome stuff, Craig! I remember how it felt to shave with an edge I had saved with some lapping film. I can only imagine how it feels to shave with one you honed and restored on your own. :thumbup1:

Great Job Craig, Excellent job on the honing and Stupendous job on the restore!!!! oh... nice shaves as well

Thanks Dave!

Truly awesome stuff, Craig! I remember how it felt to shave with an edge I had saved with some lapping film. I can only imagine how it feels to shave with one you honed and restored on your own. :thumbup1:

Thanks Jim!
I'm surprised that it went as well as it did, but I have done a lot of reading here on B&B watched a lot of YouTube.

Top Bottom