What's new

Noxzema

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
During hot weather, I will put generic Noxzema on my beard in the shower. It always results in a super-smooth, extremely comfortable shave. It works just as well as Proraso Pre-shave, at a fraction of the cost.

During the early '90s, I worked in a P&G factory in Hunt Valley, MD where they made Noxzema shaving cream. You'd be surprised to see the manufacturing process. They mix it up in 3,000 gallon tubs, and those glass jars would shoot off the assembly line at 200 per minute. We'd put out enough in one shift to fill up a tractor-trailer. If I'd known what a sensation wet-shaving would become, I would have invested in a couple of pallets of those little blue jars.

My grandfather was an old-school barber, and he had access at work to all kinds of fancy straight-razors and high-end soaps and creams and aftershaves. But you know what he used to shave himself at home? A Superspeed and Noxzema.
Laugh! That Noxzema was my Dad's choice. He also slathered it on a sunburn. I still use it today for that. The next day my burn is a tan.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning, right out of bed, I put Noxzema on my face because I felt like it. It feels good, and, in the past, I've found it beneficial for my skin, so why not.

Anyway, my wife, who says she has an excellent sense of smell said she couldn't smell the Noxzema. She blamed the competing smells of cooking onions and potatoes in the kitchen.

I can smell the Noxzema.

Someone reminded us - thanks for the reminder - that Noxzema removed some essential oils from their product, but that these are still contained in the Walmart store brand. I liked the "old" Noxzema better, and I will look for the Walmart knock off.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This morning, right out of bed, I put Noxzema on my face because I felt like it. It feels good, and, in the past, I've found it beneficial for my skin, so why not.

Anyway, my wife, who says she has an excellent sense of smell said she couldn't smell the Noxzema. She blamed the competing smells of cooking onions and potatoes in the kitchen.

I can smell the Noxzema.

Someone reminded us - thanks for the reminder - that Noxzema removed some essential oils from their product, but that these are still contained in the Walmart store brand. I liked the "old" Noxzema better, and I will look for the Walmart knock off.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As luck would have it, I just bought an extra jar to replace my present dwindling supply. But I guess for $3.87 I could afford to invest in another jar of the "Generic Brand". :)

Noxema, good stuff, my dad used it and 60 years ago, I did too. Now back to wet shaving with my recently acquired stable of Aristocrats, I've incorporated Noxema back into my routine. Old Habits Die Hard. :)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Noxzema is a good pre-shave, one that my dad used for years. I use it as a face-wash before shaving, only rinsing a portion of the stuff off. Leaves my face nice and slick and ready for the brush.

Got a link or name? I've never heard of a Walmart Noxema knockoff. I'll look for it next time.:)

EDIT -- Wait...is it the brand called "Equate?"

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been using Noxzema, applying it to my beard first thing in the morning, and later washing it off in the shower right before I shave. Later may be half an hour or two hours or five minutes.

Recently I finally found Equate, the Noxzema knock-off, at Walmart.

They're not the same, but I like both just fine for my use. The Equate is more like the Noxzema I remember using very frequently decades ago. New Noxzema is much smoother in texture. There are other differences already discussed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I use Noxema to clean my face at night, but find the smell too overpowering to use under shaving lather.Instead I use Proraso preshave, which works to prep my beard.

I've tried different pre-shave oils and ointments over the years, and nothing seemed to work well enough for me that I ever made it through one bottle/tub before I quit using it. Never found one that was worth the expense, time, or trouble to use it.
Several months ago, I was ordering some stuff from Maggards, and was a few dollars shy of the free-shipping amount (ain't that always the way?), so my usual procedure is to go look at soap/AS samples. I saw the Proraso pre-shave was available as a sample and thought I'd give it a shot. After using it, I think I decided that I liked the additional menthol effect more than anything, but it did seem to help with the shave in a small way. I came to B&B to look up and see what others had said about using it, and came across many recommendations to use Noxzema in its place. With this seed planted, next time I went to the store, I went and looked and noticed that a couple of large tubs of the store brand stuff was on the clearance rack. I bought it, and sure enough it was very similar to the Proraso in use. Unless I'm using one of my better soaps or am looking to avoid the cooling effect, I tend to scoop out a bit and spread it on before every shave. I kind of like it, and it really is perfect if you're going for a Proraso Green shave with soap and AS.
+1

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been using Noxzema, applying it to my beard first thing in the morning, and later washing it off in the shower right before I shave. Later may be half an hour or two hours or five minutes.

Recently I finally found Equate, the Noxzema knock-off, at Walmart.

They're not the same, but I like both just fine for my use. The Equate is more like the Noxzema I remember using very frequently decades ago. New Noxzema is much smoother in texture. There are other differences already discussed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've modified my Noxzema routine a bit and I like the change.

Recently I began, after washing and drying my face and neck in the evening or before bedtime, applying Equate Noxzema knock off to my beard area, letting it soak in a bit, not very long, and then applying over the Equate a little bit of shea butter. They play well together.

In the morning I apply Equate first thing, wash my face in the shower before shaving, and shave as usual. Sometimes my shower is a minute after I put on the Equate. Sometimes, hours.

This routine works very well for my skin and beard, and is, so far, the best use of the Equate Noxzema I've found.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Recently, I bought Noxema Classic Cleansing Cream for the first time to use as a preshave. I kept the Noxema on my face and then lathered it with my soap. The combo of the Noxema and the soap produced a richer lather compared to just using the soap by itself. I just have to say that I have had the best BBS shaves ever.

I have been using noxema as a preshave for several years. The original scent is a little pungent. I found another version called noxema moisturizing that I like better. Same blue plastic tub, but pinkish label. It's around $5 at Target in the US so never found the need to seek out a generic version. Lasts me 6-9 months with daily use. It's not a game changer, but I feel it works well

Top Bottom