What's new

Samuel Gawith FVF

So I purchased 2.5 pounds of FVF plus one tin to try fresh just over a year ago. When fresh, it was not my favorite smoke but the 2.5 pounds I’ve jarred up has darkened considerably over the year. I wish I had put some up in smaller jars than half pints but this was really my first time cellaring. Anyway, I would like an opinion from the knowledgeable folks here in the Brown Leaf...do I pop one jar to try it ata year and compare notes or do I just keep patiently waiting? I’m thinking about going ahead and busting open one of the larger pint jars that I used and splitting it into two half pints, one to smoke now and let the other keep going knowing that I interrupted the aging process.

Popping it, splitting it up, and re-stashing some sounds like the best choice (unless you've got the willpower to just keep waiting). Yes, you will interrupt the aging as you noted, but you're not doing any harm.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Popping it, splitting it up, and re-stashing some sounds like the best choice (unless you've got the willpower to just keep waiting). Yes, you will interrupt the aging as you noted, but you're not doing any harm.

+1

The deed has been done and man what a difference a year makes! It’s already smoothed out considerably. I can’t imagine what this stuff will be like in 5+ years, which will be the next time I pop open a jar

That's what I would do! I personally never noticed aging disruption, I might not be refined enough though.

That's what I would do! I personally never noticed aging disruption, I might not be refined enough though.
I'd wager that interrupting the process only shifts the aging process by 1-3 months or so. Potentially noticeable at under a year, but after that probably not. Certainly not a big deal if he's waiting another 5 years...

My pipe smoking slowed down a lot over the summer. Fall seems to be my prime-time. Hopefully I will get to crack open some of my FVF that's hitting about a year now as well.

I'd wager that interrupting the process only shifts the aging process by 1-3 months or so. Potentially noticeable at under a year, but after that probably not. Certainly not a big deal if he's waiting another 5 years...
I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but this is probably close to true. If you open a one-year old jar, smoke some and seal the rest back up, then pop it again in a year and compare it to another jar you had not opened, I believe you would be able to tell the difference. If you waited five years, though, the difference would probably be close to indistinguishable.

Mine as well. I rarely if at all pick a pipe up in winter. Fall and spring are my seasons. Summer it's too hot to enjoy winter is too cold to enjoy.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but this is probably close to true. If you open a one-year old jar, smoke some and seal the rest back up, then pop it again in a year and compare it to another jar you had not opened, I believe you would be able to tell the difference. If you waited five years, though, the difference would probably be close to indistinguishable.
I guess that would really come down to a few things.. is there a point where the process is just done, like it's hit max and won't change anymore, no matter how long it stays sealed? Also would depend on the aging curve.. does the most change happen in the first 5 years? 10 years? I have no doubt there there is a point where you'd not tell the difference between the two, I'm really curious as to where that point is.

Top Bottom