What's new

Men's leather duffel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a carry-on size leather duffel for long weekend type 4-5 day getaways.

I think the base type bag I am looking for is this back from LL Bean, their signature duffle for $299. That's about the size and shape I am looking for.

I've seen other threads that mention Saddleback and Filson and know that their quality is great.

Any other choices out there that I should be considering? I ran into this bag online - Korchmar? Never heard of them but it looks outstanding. CENTENNIAL TAFT

Any other brands that I should think of?

Gustin has leather duffels but you have to keep checking since most items are MTO. Right now they are only selling their canvas/leather option. Great price too and made in the USA using Horween leather. You just need to make sure the turn around time works for you.

Not many responses to this post but I thought I would update anyway.

I ended up getting the Coach Explorer 52.
Originally looking to spend $400-$500 or so on a good quality bag. I ran across this bag in my search and found several on Ebay for $355 and up. Sticker is $795. I found one outlier on Ebay who had it for sale at $289 but she listed the bag as "Medium". Red flags. Even though she had pics and tags of this bag on the listing I had a feeling that she was indeed selling the 17in (medium) bag. I confirmed it with her via email and she appreciated that I didn't snag it and force the issue. I told her that it wasn't worth the Karma considering the bag would be used for travel and I like plenty of Good travel Karma.

Then I decided I wanted to see the bag in person before buying so I called the local Coach Outlet to see if they even stocked the bag. They had 4 in Stock, so I stopped by to check it out and Loved it.

Best part of all - Outlet price was $499 less a 50% discount, so $250! It seems an exceptional bag if comparing price to quality to that of competitors.
I'm quite happy with it and looking forward to using it on it's first flight in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!
20171017_133054.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Handles/straps don't look too robust. Maybe they are reinforced??

I have destroyed many bags over the many years of international travel. The handles/straps and their connections are often the first to go.

Late to the party.... I don't know much about leather duffels either and I'm on the hunt for one too (leather or waxed canvas/leather combo). Would be great if the recommendations could keep coming, as that was the original intent of the thread anyway and, now that the OP has made an acquisition, it could give other users (myself included) more options to consider, perhaps?

@cruise_bone glad to see you found something that works for you!

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I got a really nice leather one from the NFL when the Cardinals won the Championship but I cannot find any brand name on it anywhere. It's a 'medium' sized one though.

I have destroyed many bags over the many years of international travel. The handles/straps and their connections are often the first to go.

I have NO idea about them being reinforced. I will look to see but not sure that I can determine that just by looking. The handles felt nice when I checked out the bag, but with nothing in it that isn't saying much.
I will use the shoulder strap almost exclusively whether the bag is heavy or not. I might use the handle when the load is lighter but I usually have another piece in my hand anyway, so I suspect the shoulder strap will be used almost exclusively except for when loading/unloading from overhead bins, cabs, etc.

Agree! In addition, the zippers are the weak parts of all travel bags and if you ask the repair depts what they recommend most in travel bags, and I'm talking about function rather than looks, it's strong, double stitched, reinforced handles AND YKK oversized zippers.

I also travel hard and like to go as light as possible and I only travel with either a carry on one-bag like the Airboss or one duffel like the Sunchaser, both in black ballistic and they're BOTH made by Red Oxx with Tom Bihn Absolute straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom