What's new

Heat Treating, Forging, Etc.

Tonight I got my first shave with my first "razor"!!!!!
The grinds are a little rough, the geometry is off a bit, and the finish is not professional grade, but for only tinkering with this whole endeavor for about three and a half months.... I'm pretty damn proud of myself!

Still needs a little more work on the finishing stone, but I got a 2 pass DFS with no weepers. Not too bad for my first creation.

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

A little bit of shop progress today.

My helper went out with me to put in my new burner.

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0419.JPG

I took my home-made burner out. (It definitely got me started, so I'm not really complaining too much about it.)
Did a side by side (sort of) comparison of the flame compared to the new one. World of difference just from having adjustment, and airflow control.
(One I made)
DSC_0420.JPG

(New one)

DSC_0421.JPG

I think I had too long of a nipple on the end of the one I made also. I would get a cold spot in the center of the flame that I don't get with the new one.

Got it installed, adjusted, and fired up. Heats up that forge in a fraction of the time. Was able to get a piece of spring heated and moved twice in the same time it would have taken to heat it once with the old burner.
And it heats the inside evenly and I don't have that dark (cold) spot on the middle of the forge floor.

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0424.JPG

Loving that new hammer too. Big enough to move some metal well, but enough control I can still do some nice refined hits.
Rammed my head into the basement doorway because I didn't duck far enough yesterday, and think I may have concussed myself a bit, so I didn't do too much today.
Yeah I'll take the ribbing for that too, I earned it.... :letterk1::letterk1:

Can't wait to feel a little better and get out there to do some real work.
Downloaded a couple knife "templates" today, and picked up a piece of hollow brass for doing lanyard and mosaic pins.
Ready to make something again. May not be pretty, but it'll be something!

A little bit of shop progress today.

My helper went out with me to put in my new burner.

View attachment 830782
View attachment 830783

I took my home-made burner out. (It definitely got me started, so I'm not really complaining too much about it.)
Did a side by side (sort of) comparison of the flame compared to the new one. World of difference just from having adjustment, and airflow control.
(One I made)
View attachment 830780

(New one)

View attachment 830781

I think I had too long of a nipple on the end of the one I made also. I would get a cold spot in the center of the flame that I don't get with the new one.

Got it installed, adjusted, and fired up. Heats up that forge in a fraction of the time. Was able to get a piece of spring heated and moved twice in the same time it would have taken to heat it once with the old burner.
And it heats the inside evenly and I don't have that dark (cold) spot on the middle of the forge floor.

View attachment 830784
View attachment 830785

Loving that new hammer too. Big enough to move some metal well, but enough control I can still do some nice refined hits.
Rammed my head into the basement doorway because I didn't duck far enough yesterday, and think I may have concussed myself a bit, so I didn't do too much today.
Yeah I'll take the ribbing for that too, I earned it.... :letterk1::letterk1:

Can't wait to feel a little better and get out there to do some real work.
Downloaded a couple knife "templates" today, and picked up a piece of hollow brass for doing lanyard and mosaic pins.
Ready to make something again. May not be pretty, but it'll be something!

Wow, that looks like a heck of a upgrade, I really enjoy watching your progress!
I really hope you get feeling better soon! I’ve been on the receiving end of a low doorway or two myself..... have a brilliant weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that looks like a heck of a upgrade, I really enjoy watching your progress!
I really hope you get feeling better soon! I’ve been on the receiving end of a low doorway or two myself..... have a brilliant weekend!

It won't be as brilliant..... All the stars are finally gone. :lol::lol::lol:

lol, you might need to lay down for a little while

Haha! Well, I did it yesterday, and my neck has cracked a few times today and is pretty much straight again. I think I'll be fine. I probably did more damage to the door frame. :letterk1::letterk1:

The grinds are a little rough, the geometry is off a bit, and the finish is not professional grade, but for only tinkering with this whole endeavor for about three and a half months.... I'm pretty damn proud of myself!

Still needs a little more work on the finishing stone, but I got a 2 pass DFS with no weepers. Not too bad for my first creation.

View attachment 830312
View attachment 830313
Wanted to add my congrats on using your first homemade straight! Looks great and.....well the whole process looks like a lot of fun esp with razor dog helping you, lol.

Wanted to add my congrats on using your first homemade straight! Looks great and.....well the whole process looks like a lot of fun esp with razor dog helping you, lol.
Thanks Brian!
Razor dog, that's a good one. Only problem with her is that she has the SQUIRREL.... the attention span of that SQUIRREL..... dog in the movie UP. :lol:

View attachment 830312
View attachment 830313

Very nice. I like it!!

Top Bottom