What's new

Incoming!

New toys :w00t:

Satzuma 24-105 mm mug :001_tongu I just couldn't resist putting this in the basket when ordering the other;
Tamron SP 24-70 mm f/2.8 USD Di

proxy.php

I have really high expectations for the Tamron and I can hardly wait to get out and try it.
Compared to the Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 I have been using until now, I expect a noticeable upgrade, as the Tamron is a full-frame lens whereas the Sony is a crop-lens, so effectively it is a 27-82 mm.

Just to compare the two:
Weight of Sony: 228.7 gram
Weight of Tamron: 838.5 gram - that is a whopping +600 grams difference, and size? Well :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Nice @shm!
I got the same mug last christmas, I thought it was a real lens for a few seconds when I first opened the wrapping paper, still tried to look happy when I realised it was a mug:biggrin1:
I had the same Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 but on a Nikon body, very sharp lens in my amatuer experience, got some very nice shots with it! Only sold it to get a Nikon 24-120mm f/4, which has a more useful range for my needs. Wouldn't hesitate to get the Tamron again though, performance wise.

New toys :w00t:

Satzuma 24-105 mm mug :001_tongu I just couldn't resist putting this in the basket when ordering the other;
Tamron SP 24-70 mm f/2.8 USD Di

proxy.php

I have really high expectations for the Tamron and I can hardly wait to get out and try it.
Compared to the Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 I have been using until now, I expect a noticeable upgrade, as the Tamron is a full-frame lens whereas the Sony is a crop-lens, so effectively it is a 27-82 mm.

Just to compare the two:
Weight of Sony: 228.7 gram
Weight of Tamron: 838.5 gram - that is a whopping +600 grams difference, and size? Well :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Very nice Soren. I have no doubt the Tamron will perform. Great speed too. I've seen one of those mugs at work and they are so realistic I had to pick it up to be sure it wasn't the real deal!

Thank you Gentlemen :001_Smile

I chose the Tamron over Sony's own 24-70 because of the sharpness, I saw a test where Tamron outperformed the Sony - but I doubt I could tell the difference if I tried both, they looked very similar in performance, and I found a really good deal on the Tamron, so it was a no-brainer.
Now, if just the weather would behave so I could get out shooting :wink:

After having my Canon 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L lens go bad on me during vacation, I'm happy to announce it should be returning to me in the next few days.

This lens was purchased used (was in GREAT condition) worked fine for several weeks, then suddenly became inop during my vacation in the latter part of October (began refusing to stop-down). In my experience, Canon L lenses are generally some of the most durable lenses made and it is uncommon that they simply fail, but I was the lucky one to have one to fail :letterk2:

So it's been at an authorized Canon repair center since last week, and the online status update now is, "Repair is complete, undergoing quality checks". Can't wait to get that fella' back and shooting again :)

I get to post "Incoming" twice with one item!

I unboxed my newly repaired 28-300mm Canon zoom lens and happy to say that it works excellently. Their repair is very expeditious and turn around time was only a few days. I was able to get status updates on the repair all along the way. The 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L is a handful but it has a monster zoom range and produces excellent results.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great shots, Lane.

How expensive is it to repair such a lens? My oldest son had the same issue you had but with a Nikon lens he bought used about 6 months ago. Fortunately for him it stopped working before he went on vacation to Peru so he ended up renting a replacement.

Here is one he took there.
proxy.php

Great shots, Lane.

How expensive is it to repair such a lens? My oldest son had the same issue you had but with a Nikon lens he bought used about 6 months ago. Fortunately for him it stopped working before he went on vacation to Peru so he ended up renting a replacement.

Here is one he took there.
proxy.php

^^Wow, spectacular image by your son^^

The repair was pricey, and caused me to pause for a moment for sure ($700). Canon said I needed a new guide barrel assembly. To keep it in perspective, that lens MSRP is over $2600 and the average retail for a USA warranted lens is right around $2450. I got the lens used at such a good price that after paying for the repair I'm still comfortably below what a new USA lens sells for.

In the case of optics, this lens will long outlive the camera its attached to, so for me it was worth the pain. The lens did function properly when I received it and did so right up to my vacation so I'm at a loss of what could have caused something to fail suddenly (no drops, bangs or anything). Hopefully it will be good for the duration.

Thanks for the info, Lane. My son is waiting for an estimate. He bought it from a camera retailer with a 90 day guarantee. He is debating whether to have it repaired by Nikon or the retailer.

Broke down and finally did it:

proxy.php

EOS 6D Mark II

Full frame digital incoming! My 17-40mm will be an actual 17-40mm instead of a 27-64mm. Though this is still not necessarily a "budget friendly" SLR, Canon has finally put full frame digital performance within reach of more consumers than at any time previous. I can't get the grin off my face :)

Looking good :thumbsup: - Congratulation :001_smile

Thank you!

I've been playing around with the new "toy" for the past day. It's not a bad learning curve due to its similarity in layout to my present 80D. The full frame sensor (one I could afford anyway) is what makes this one a winner for me :)

I felt the same when I upgraded to the 99ii.

It may be pure imagination on my part, but I think the quality in my photos has taken a (small) step up. Maybe not because of the full frame, but more because I am getting more out and thus more practice - but whatever the reason I have definitely not regretted it a bit :001_smile

Legion

Staff member
I am a camera bag magnet.

Scored a Thinktank Retrospective 5, in black. In all likelihood it will go onto the pile until my next purge, but it is a good size for an EDC manbag. I might use it for that more than a camera bag.

Think_Tank_749_Retrospective_7_Shoulder_Bag_859431.jpg

Legion

Staff member
My work is a dangerous place for people with low willpower. I was talking to a few of my colleagues about compact cameras. One thing leads to another, I get home, have a few drinks, and the next thing I know I have a lightly used Ricoh GR on order from Japan.

I had owned a Nikon Coolpix A in the past, which was very similar, but I never used it much because I had recently bought a Fuji X100s, and that was getting all the love.

But lately I have been feeling the need for something smaller for EDC.

These little guys get great reviews, so let's see...

ricoh_175843_gr_ii_digital_camera_1159252.jpg

My work is a dangerous place for people with low willpower. I was talking to a few of my colleagues about compact cameras. One thing leads to another, I get home, have a few drinks, and the next thing I know I have a lightly used Ricoh GR on order from Japan.

I had owned a Nikon Coolpix A in the past, which was very similar, but I never used it much because I had recently bought a Fuji X100s, and that was getting all the love.

But lately I have been feeling the need for something smaller for EDC.

These little guys get great reviews, so let's see...

View attachment 849953

Nice David!

There are times and places where a good compact P&S cannot be replaced. :thumbup:

Long time no post !

Not sure if anyone here remembers me, BUT still so jealous of your acquisitions!

I've been shooting with my D610 for sometime now and sadly, at irregular intervals. Here are some examples :p

20171111-BMM_3348.jpg by Bryan Miller, on Flickr

20171111-BMM_3319.jpg by Bryan Miller, on Flickr

BMM_3635-18.jpg by Bryan Miller, on Flickr

BMM_3739-17.jpg by Bryan Miller, on Flickr

BMM_1865.jpg by Bryan Miller, on Flickr

BMM_0457.jpg by Bryan Miller, on Flickr

Great work Bryan!

Finally dropped the hammer on this.

To all intents it does the job my X1T-s does, but so much better and easier. Rather than short/long press to change button mode, there are separate buttons for each function. Should be quicker in a shooting environment!
$_58.JPG

Top Bottom