What's new

Opinions on seller disclosing faults

This is straight off their website. The description below does not match the product delivered.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

A beautiful razor from 1920's featuring open comb guard and balanced ball end handle. Teeth straight and ready to shave. The open comb design directs facial hair right into the blade, delivering a remarkable shave performance and perfect for men looking for an aggressive shave. This razor comes to you shave ready after going through our extensive revamp process, watch the video to learn about what steps we take to bring you Shave Ready vintage razors!

Beautiful new Factory Nickel plating is stain and scratch resistant and true to the vintage original finish!

• 100% Shave Ready Factory Nickel Revamped Razor
  • Teeth Straight, Threading smooth
  • Aggressive Shaver
  • Made in USA in 1916
Country of Manufacture: USA
Type: Double Edge Razor
Finish: Factory Nickel
Date: 1920's no serial #
Condition: Cleaned, Sanitized and Shave Ready
Grade: Revamped
Imperfections: Vintage Refurbished Item
Included: Razor

History: The Gillette Old Type was the original razor produced by Gillette Safety Razor Co. Debuted in 1907, the Single Ring featues open comb design with two stabilizer pins that keep the blade straight. These heads are known for their smooth yet aggressive shaves.

A couple of problems here, the ball end and the Single Ring are not the same razor, and if it has no serial number it was made '21 ~ '29, not 1916. A 1916 razor has a thinner baseplate and cap, and a serial number.

No razor ever made will match their description.

@Mtn Man:
Out of curiosity could you please take a closer look at the crack to see if the crack is uniformly replated or you see the brass inside. In the former case that should mean the handle crack occurred after replating - as someone suggested above (highly unlikely for the handle to produce the crack after 100 of being solid).

Also, I am more than happy to offer you for free a French Leresche razor same like on this photo (no box, sorry):

proxy.php

Let me know and I will mail it to you!

That's a nice OLD type clone! :thumbsup: Go for it @Mtn Man!!! :thumbup1:

A couple of problems here, the ball end and the Single Ring are not the same razor, and if it has no serial number it was made '21 ~ '29, not 1916. A 1916 razor has a thinner baseplate and cap, and a serial number.

No razor ever made will match their description.

To be fair I copied the listing off the current description they have posted for sale for another old type. The description of mine is not there any more. However their description of what a Factory Revamp is and lack of mention of damage is the same. I think it is a generic thing they post for all razors of that type.
They did not have the picture shown on Etsy with the crack either.

I am back at work now so I cant examine further. I was pretty mad when I saw it so I took some pictures re wrapped it and put it back in the box. However it looked to me like the crack had been plated over cause in one spot the plating was kinda flaking off slightly. Almost like a tiny bubble.

I say give them a few days to respond and send a reminder today. If they don't respond then take action. Not in on the PIF but thanks.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Sorry you got burned @Mtn Man . I look to the history of posts that fellow members put up about various vendors, and that company is one of a few that will see nary a penny from me. Your story is just one more reason to be wary.

What an amazing community of fellow enthusiasts we have here. I have been overwhelmed with many generous offers from members over the last few days. I am very grateful but I don't want to be taking advantage of sympathy.
I accepted Hoka Gets offer of a different old type he offered me. I think this is a wonderful outcome. Mine will go to a good home and I will have one from my fellow members that will put a smile on my face every time I use it due to the back story.
I don't think it would be right to accept anything else. I am very greatful though. Thank you all very much!

@Mtn Man,
The offer still stands. :)

Tonich, thank you very much for the generous offer. I really appreciate it. I just don't want to be taking advantage. I will pass. If I took everyone up on all the public and PM'd offers I got in the last few days I would need to renovate a new shave den! You guys definitely demonstrate the spirit of B+B that makes it such a great group.

When I read your initial post my first thought was that you probably bought at Razor Emporium. Their failure to mention the crack is inexcusable but not surprising and far from the worst story I've come across regarding this business.

Oh well what is done is done. They are up a couple of new dollars but hopefully down a few customers. And for the record still no word back from them.

In the interest of Fairness I got a response back today. Quite late in my opinion but they did reply. I let them know I have already decided in the meantime to PIF it and not to worry about it.

Please send back and we will get a refund processed. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to beat a dead horse, but that's about a half-a**ed letter to a customer, IMO.

If this were the only example I've seen of questionable behavior/service from them, I'd probably not pay it much mind, but I've seen enough that this incident may be the straw that broke the camel's back as far as my shopping dollars are concerned. I sure don't see myself doing business with them in the near future. There's enough other options out there that I can't see a need to gamble on what kind of service/product I may get from a vendor.

To me its not the weak response it's the fact that I emailed them my concerns on July 28 at 7am. They replied Aug 8th at 1233 Mtn Time. 12 days? Thanks for coming out.

In comparison I am dealing with a different vendor who was 1 day to get back to me to answer my question on a different razor I was interested in buying. He apologised for the "delay" profusely sent me photos of every angle and shipped it for CONUS rate. Guess who's getting more of my business?

So glad I have stumbled across this thread....was going to buy a revamped Parat from said vendor.....now it seems like a risky choice.

For what it's worth I had a great experience after this with revamped razor from sportshaving.com

For what it's worth I had a great experience after this with revamped razor from sportshaving.com
That's good to know. I have a NEW SC with Nick right now. I specifically didn't go with RE because of the trusted reviews on B&B.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I ordered a Gillette old type from a well known online vendor. It is a refurbished one with new plating. I am well aware how common split handles are on these razors.
There was no mention of the handle being split in the description. Picture did not show any split.
When it arrived it has a large split at both ends of the handle.
So what are your opinions? Am I naive to expect an online retailer to disclose significant faults?
I am not saying who they are as I am just seeking your opinions before I contact the vendor. I have no interest in bashing them as I have been happy with another razor I got from them.
Either way I am disappointed and they will be loosing out on 2 projects I am getting done on my new (to me) traveller set and a big boy I am on the hunt for.
I think you are right in that it sounds like bait & switch to me. They show a picture and mention no defects, and that's not what they sent you.
However, with your knowledge of the problem the handles have, you should have asked them about it before you bought the razor. That way you would have them cold. Hoping that it works out for you.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

They are somewhat in my neck of the woods as well, and wondered what kind of work sportshave put out. If I am correct dont they just replate and sell a few replated razors, no tune up service?

They are somewhat in my neck of the woods as well, and wondered what kind of work sportshave put out. If I am correct dont they just replate and sell a few replated razors, no tune up service?
For both vendors I have bought the razor from them already plated.
The one from sportshaving was a New and I am very happy with it. I am not sure if Nick will plate your razor for you.

Top Bottom