What's new

The Island of Misfit Guns

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This makes me want to get out my dremel, soldering torch, hacksaw, bastard file, welder, and super glue to do a bit of "touch up" on my Wilson tuned Colt .45 ACP.

I can't wait!!!

Actually the tacky serial # engraving was pretty common on state owned weapons. I've got 3 Model 12's from Stillwater State Prison that look like that. At 100.00 a piece, and 2 of them probably never fired, I can live with it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Even buggered screwheads give me the crawls ...

There's a name for that sawed off MN; think the red mafia uses them. Certain amount of muzzle flash, maybe a slight drop in velocity...

AA

As many of you know I work in a gun store, folks bring their guns to us for advice before and after getting work done. There is ONE gunsmith in the area, and he does very good work, but his personality is crusty as heck - very hard to get along with. There are 5-6 wannbe smiths in the area, with their own shops, at any given time. Most of them quickly close. The work I've seen from them ranges from not bad to atrocious. Customers end up avoiding crusty, and going to the wannabe's, then come back to us for help getting the "work" fixed. Even worse is the dude who buys some parts, adds some Jim Beam, and tries to do his own work. Usually does not end well. We had a Remington 141 in 30 Rem come through a while back, "custom" stock, which was actually a decent job, but someone also tried to engrave the receiver with an electric pen. Look like a bunch of crude scratching. Destroyed any value the piece may have bought. Only upside was the "engraving" was shallow enough someone who is good at draw filing could probably clean it up and re-blue it.

As many of you know I work in a gun store, folks bring their guns to us for advice before and after getting work done. There is ONE gunsmith in the area, and he does very good work, but his personality is crusty as heck - very hard to get along with. There are 5-6 wannbe smiths in the area, with their own shops, at any given time. Most of them quickly close. The work I've seen from them ranges from not bad to atrocious. Customers end up avoiding crusty, and going to the wannabe's, then come back to us for help getting the "work" fixed. Even worse is the dude who buys some parts, adds some Jim Beam, and tries to do his own work. Usually does not end well. We had a Remington 141 in 30 Rem come through a while back, "custom" stock, which was actually a decent job, but someone also tried to engrave the receiver with an electric pen. Look like a bunch of crude scratching. Destroyed any value the piece may have bought. Only upside was the "engraving" was shallow enough someone who is good at draw filing could probably clean it up and re-blue it.
I didn't realize you work in a gun store. I have thought about doing my own work on my 12 ga., but decided to check out having a screw in choke added to the slug barrel. What I found was that some modifications just don't make sense. I am better off with a second shotgun. If I tried it myself, I am quite certain it would probably be pictured in this thread as yet another hack job.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

why would you chamfer the ejector on an AR bolt?
Nevermind. I googled it and found the article the picture came from. If that was really an issue you can take the extractor off and use a square grinding stone to gently remove the edge.
Or with a punch pin set you can take the whole ejector out.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
At some point my Grandfather got his hands on an engraving pen, and proceeded to engrave his name or initials onto everything in the house except Grandma. I inherited a 1951 or '52 870 Wingmaster 16 Guage that bares these markings.

At some point my Grandfather got his hands on an engraving pen, and proceeded to engrave his name or initials onto everything in the house except Grandma. I inherited a 1951 or '52 870 Wingmaster 16 Guage that bares these markings.

My Dad did that back in the 1970's cause the Sheriff told him it was a way to get them back if stolen .

Dad his under the front grip on Shotguns and on the bottom of the barrel on rifles covered by the stock.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Reminded me of dear old Dad! Good thing your gma and my mom were light on their feet!!!

Top Bottom