What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Just got a nice Chromium DeLuxe Big Boy in wooden case...

proxy.php

proxy.php
What a beauty! Congrats!

Found this one on the way home today, It's a Z2, first year Flare Tip. I already have a Z3 and it's one of my favorite Super Speeds. It's soaking now, I'll try to post an after picture. Looking at it closely, it doesn't look like it has any plating loss.

Anyone know for sure if they made a Z1?

2017-09-22 17.10.10.jpg

I just picked this guy up today at an antique market in town - the open comb caught my eye, and the condition looked good. Price I could live with too. $17 Canadian.
It's a Canadian-made Gillette but not sure on era exactly, I'm pretty new. Once the proprietor got it out of the case I noticed a crack on each side of the handle that had been sealed at some point. But ... I liked it anyway and figured how much could it hurt the shave?
What do you think, folks?
There was also a old brush there for $10 that might be a badger but I don't know more than that.
This one's going away for SWMBO and the kids to give me at Christmas. :santa: I'm super looking forward to it. The brush may join it too....

I'm looking at the mr-razor site and I don't know how to tell the difference.

proxy.php

The easiest way to tell them apart is by the handle. The one on the left is from the late 40s to early 50s. The one on the right is an HD from the mid to late 50s, before the flare tips. Aside from the bar the only difference is a few grams. It's doesn't do much when shaving. My idea is that maybe Gillette thought adding a few grams may give a better shave with more razor weight on he head? Both are great shavers regardless. Hope this helps!

proxy.php

The easiest way to tell them apart is by the handle. The one on the left is from the late 40s to early 50s. The one on the right is an HD from the mid to late 50s, before the flare tips. Aside from the bar the only difference is a few grams. It's doesn't do much when shaving. My idea is that maybe Gillette thought adding a few grams may give a better shave with more razor weight on he head? Both are great shavers regardless. Hope this helps!
I see it now, thanks

Rocket name applies in general to Gillette razors made in England with that particular knob which unlike the 'American' one, kind of recedes into the handle.

Had a few finds in the wild over the last week. Found a 1951 super speed, a NEW type, and a G4 slim. The super speed and slim are in good condition, the NEW is in user grade with a small crack in the handle (not show in photo).

I have tried the super speed and NEW, both great shavers but I enjoyed the NEW slightly more I think. The slim is up for today.

Resized_20170911_221212.jpeg

Resized_20170923_184130.jpeg

Had a few finds in the wild over the last week. Found a 1951 super speed, a NEW type, and a G4 slim. The super speed and slim are in good condition, the NEW is in user grade with a small crack in the handle (not show in photo).

I have tried the super speed and NEW, both great shavers but I enjoyed the NEW slightly more I think. The slim is up for today.

View attachment 823446
View attachment 823447

Very nice, congrats!

IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5187.JPG
Got this the other day. Instructions are real brittle. Small crack in handle. Case a little dry and leather cracked at hinge. But I don't think it was ever used.

Top Bottom