What's new

Where to hang a strop

Lately my strops just have not been maintaining my SRs the way they used to. I'd get a couple days good shaves and then they start falling off. Though the razors appear sharp, some could still tree top arm hair and pass HHT, the shaves were very uncomfortable. While other razors became noticeably dull after about a week...

At first I thought they were not honed properly, but when I noticed the same symptoms with several razors in a row ( that never happened before ) a pattern emerged. So I checked out the leathers, I use mainly vintage shell and boar. I tried conditioning some with saddle soap, which usually works, and neatsfoot but no luck, nothing would bring them back. Finally I took one of the strops to sand paper. Worked up from low to high grit and hoped not to cause any lasting damage. Used a little neatsfoot and to my suprise it brought the first two razors back to shave ready comfort without having to hone.

Lookin back, I think moisture was the culprit, even excess moisture. I hung them on the towel rack and that was not good. Having nowhere else to put the strops with tiled walls, I've moved them into the bedroom until I'm certain what caused it and can figure out a more convenient location.

Mine hang in closet. On hooks. I put a hook on the inside of door casing of bath closet.about shoulder high.I take strop and hang on that hook to strop. Home Depot has screw in hooks. It's part of the routine to take strop into bathroom then put it away. I read moisture is no good so definitely not to hang in bathroom full-time. Not sure if that answers question but I thought I'd share. Good luck

I shave in my secondary bathroom, so there is usually not moisture from showering. I clip my strop over a loop on the middle door hinge,(at tip I believe I saw on this forum), as it is the perfect height for me. If grand kids are not staying over, I usually leave it hanging on the loop, but if they are around, I will move it to my closet and it hangs along side my belts.

My active strop hangs in the master closet next to my slacks. The inactive strops are hanging downstairs on the side of my wooden toolbox that houses the rest of my shaving collection.

My active strop hangs in the master closet next to my slacks. The inactive strops are hanging downstairs on the side of my wooden toolbox that houses the rest of my shaving collection.

I was considering putting it in my bdrm closet too. My place so small not many options.

Thanks for ideas everyone. We do have a second half bathroom in a detached garage. Not ideal for an everyday solution.

... I read moisture is no good so definitely not to hang in bathroom full-time. Not sure if that answers question but I thought I'd share. Good luck

Boar is especially bad with it. Changes the texture and gives it a rough finish. Horsehides and shell don't react so quickly and the surface doesnt feel much different after a time, but the performance goes downhill.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
My daily strop hangs about 8 feet from the shower, but I keep it zipped up in a case. I've never had any trouble with it.

Mine hangs in the bathroom ready to use. I do have a fairly decent exhaust fan in there though. Mirrors don't fog or anything, so that probably helps a lot.

Mine hang in the bathroom on a quad hook thingy my wife picked up, I think she got it from Hobby Lobby or something and it works really well ( Bathroom is pretty large )

IMG_6425.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Off a wardrobe handle in the bedroom. My bathroom is small and steamy, my strop would get wet in the bathroom.

Hmmm it seems we all have the same problem the bathrooms are to small, mine stays in a wardrobe with my belts to keep it dry. Yes every time I open the door I rub my hands on it.

Top Bottom