What's new

Classic kamisori vs double-bevel variant

I want to buy a non-folding Japanese razor. Most of those available are single-bevel kamisori style but there are some double bevel models as well.

I assume that the double-bevel models make two-handed shaving easier. But what are the pro/con arguments beyond that?

Kentos seems to be the man with the most info on kamisori razors. Here's a link to his B&B thread on them: Kamisori_Korner

I was interested in getting a kami awhile back, but decided against it. From my reading the western style grind allows for a normal honing process, vs traditional Japanese grind with a different ratio due to only one bevel.

I have a couple of traditional kamisori's and several fixed handle kamisori styled razors with the normal western style grinds. It is true that the traditional japanese kamisori's require a different honing technique. Shaving with a japanese kamisori traditionally is done using just one side of the razor. You can shave with both sides, as I do, although one has to be aware of the different angles required because of the different bevels on the traditional kamisori. Several custom razor makers make western styled fixed handle kamisori's. Just off the top of my head is Brian Brown. Kamisori These are very affordable and well made and he has a very good reputation.

I have a few. The few times I shaved with them I felt like I was starting over. It's so easy for me to use a western straight I didn't want to bother getting used to using it. Lots of guys love them though. I guess there's only one way to find out.

There's no such thing as a double-sided Kamisori, it's either an asymmetrical no folding Kamisori, or it's a symmetrical nonfolding razor, don't try to compare them they are not in anyway related.

Last edited:
I have a couple of traditional kamisori's and several fixed handle kamisori styled razors with the normal western style grinds. It is true that the traditional japanese kamisori's require a different honing technique. Shaving with a japanese kamisori traditionally is done using just one side of the razor. You can shave with both sides, as I do, although one has to be aware of the different angles required because of the different bevels on the traditional kamisori. Several custom razor makers make western styled fixed handle kamisori's. Just off the top of my head is Brian Brown. Kamisori These are very affordable and well made and he has a very good reputation.

I have ordered one of Brian Brown's asymmetrical Kamisori razors, but he also has symmetrical razors. At the moment though he doesn't have any asymmetrical ones on his website as it appears I bought the one that was there. I was in the situation where I was trying to figure out which style I wanted - I figure if I don't like the traditional style I just sell it and get the western one. Looking forward to getting the razor and the learning curve!

Gary

My first single bevel was after about 3 yrs with western straights. It didn't take much time to become comfortable with using or honing/stropping, though mine came not shave ready but were new or little used. Some of the used ones look like they would need considerably more work than mine did. You'll need some type of case or storage solution that will be different from what you are used with the folding kind.

Top Bottom