What's new

How to keep Shaving Simple in Priority steps!(Newbies & seasoned shavers)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
1- Razor of quailty
2-Pre-shave (moist & hydrate whiskers)
3-soap or cream (quality for protection and slickness)(Wow- lots to choose from)
4-blade (Wow -lots of to choose from)
5-Rinse with cold water after each complete pass to firm up skin
6-Alum the skin after shaving passes complete to help close and disinfect(witch hazel alternative)
7-Balm for moisture to help skin rejuvenate
8-After shave(to me A.S is like desert after a big meal, not really needed,but..........
9-clean up equipment for next use
Some of us will no doubt have different sequences?

1- Razor of quailty
3-soap or cream (quality for protection and slickness)(Wow- lots to choose from)
6-Alum the skin after shaving passes complete to help close and disinfect(witch hazel alternative)
8-After shave(to me A.S is like desert after a big meal, not really needed,but..........
1- Agreed! Check. Rockwell 6S. Feather AS-D2. Merkur HD 34C. Gillette Fatboy.
2- Pre- shave. Warm to hot shower. Scrub and exfoliate scalp and face with Nivea Face Scrub. Might follow up with Noxzema. Check.
3-Pre-shave oil. Pre-shave cream on top of that, Proraso Green or Proraso Red SANDALWOOD.
Soap or cream or puck. Choices. Shaving brush? Choices. Omega.
WSP BARBERSHOP PUCK, TOBS Sandalwood, Reuzel,Klar puck.
Cremo in a rush. (Works phenomenally!)
4. Blade? Astra Platinum, Feather, Pol-silver, Voshkod.
5. Cold water rinse? Check.
6. Alum block? Check. WITH witch hazel simultaneously. Slap on the witch hazel, rub scalp and face with alum block.
7. Balm. Check. Nivea for Men cream.
Nivea for Men cooling AS balm sensitive.
8. After shave. I don't care if alcohol is a no-no. I like good old fashioned Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman, and REUZEL After Shave.
9. Equipment all squared away and good to go. Brush rinsed and drying, bowl rinsed and dried, razor taken apart, dried, and reassembled. Counter and sink wiped and dried.
If razor and it's parts are too unsatisfactory, scrub down with a toothbrush, or take a bath in my ultrasonic cleaner.
Take your 2 or 3 piece razor apart, throw the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, comes out clean and looks like you polished everything to a brand new condition.
A wise investment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ron R

1- Agreed! Check. Rockwell 6S. Feather AS-D2. Merkur HD 34C. Gillette Fatboy.
2- Pre- shave. Warm to hot shower. Scrub and exfoliate scalp and face with Nivea Face Scrub. Might follow up with Noxzema. Check.
3-Pre-shave oil. Pre-shave cream on top of that, Proraso Green or Proraso Red SANDALWOOD.
Soap or cream or puck. Choices. Shaving brush? Choices. Omega.
WSP BARBERSHOP PUCK, TOBS Sandalwood, Reuzel,Klar puck.
Cremo in a rush. (Works phenomenally!)
4. Blade? Astra Platinum, Feather, Pol-silver, Voshkod.
5. Cold water rinse? Check.
6. Alum block? Check. WITH witch hazel simultaneously. Slap on the witch hazel, rub scalp and face with alum block.
7. Balm. Check. Nivea for Men cream.
Nivea for Men cooling AS balm sensitive.
8. After shave. I don't care if alcohol is a no-no. I like good old fashioned Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman, and REUZEL After Shave.
9. Equipment all squared away and good to go. Brush rinsed and drying, bowl rinsed and dried, razor taken apart, dried, and reassembled. Counter and sink wiped and dried.
If razor and it's parts are too unsatisfactory, scrub down with a toothbrush, or take a bath in my ultrasonic cleaner.
Take your 2 or 3 piece razor apart, throw the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, comes out clean and looks like you polished everything to a brand new condition.
A wise investment.

Ultra sonic cleaner WoW thats a excellent idea, i will have check into that one, good for cleaning up old razors you get off Ebay or gargage sales after they have been soaked in barbasol or alcohol(95%>).

Some folks have a 45 step procedure, others just slap lather, wack it off, toss a splash, and go. I'm in the don't over think it camp, if something works for YOU and improves YOUR shave and YOU want to mess with it, do it.

Ultra sonic cleaner WoW thats a excellent idea, i will have check into that one, good for cleaning up old razors you get off Ebay or gargage sales after they have been soaked in barbasol or alcohol(95%>).

Some folks have a 45 step procedure, others just slap lather, wack it off, toss a splash, and go. I'm in the don't over think it camp, if something works for YOU and improves YOUR shave and YOU want to mess with it, do it.

An excellent investment! I clean all my DE safety razors in my ultrasonic cleaner.
It's made by Hammacher Schlemmer and I got it off eBay for around $50.
It cleans everything very well. Run your items through for about 480 seconds 2 or 3 times, or to your satisfaction. Anything with a chromed or polished surface, like most DE safety razors, look brand new.
Cleans off all that old soap and grime build up.
I put an old 1958 vintage Gillette Fatboy Executive Gold DE Safety Razor in there with some Palmolive dish detergent.
Just kept on running it through it's cycle, took it out, scrubbed with a toothbrush, kept repeating process.
Now, this Fatboy was picked up by a good bud of mine in an antique shop up in Rochester, NY. Got it for my birthday. He knows I wet shave now exclusively. The Fatboy was unsat. Tarnished, nasty, dirty, dull, no rust or pitting thankfully, but just rough.
The ultrasonic cycles, and the scrubbing cleaned it right up. Some metal polish and a Dremel tool on low speed got it all squared away and good to go.
Will vinegar or Barbicide work?
I've heard that vodka, vinegar, lemon juice, rubbing alcohol, etc. works too.
Heck, I'll run parts through the dishwasher a few times.
Works well, not as good as the ultrasonic.

Yes I'm very meticulous and OCD about my shaving regimen.
It's part of the ritual that is my hobby, therapeutic relaxation, etc.
I shave my head also, and it takes a bit longer than just a face shave alone, so I'll take the time in the evening before I hit the rack and go through the steps of my routine.
I might have reveille at zero dark thirty (0400 hours) and scrape my mug before work. Same regimen.

In a hurry, I'm not so regimented that I won't grab the old cartridge razor and Barbasol and square myself away if I'm looking nasty.
...but that's in a rare emergency.

So, yes, it is a subjective experience.

Ron R

Hello Chuck, have you ever tried cleaning shave brushes in the Altra sonic machine. Not sure if it would damage it?

Hello Chuck, have you ever tried cleaning shave brushes in the Altra sonic machine. Not sure if it would damage it?
No, but that's a great idea!
I don't see any reason why the brush would be damaged at all.
I'm going to try that tonight when I'm off work.
Thanks for the idea.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Never tried a cold rinse between passes. I usually do a quick hot water rinse and it has worked for me. I will have to give it a shot.

Ron R

Never tried a cold rinse between passes. I usually do a quick hot water rinse and it has worked for me. I will have to give it a shot.
I use to use hot water rinses and when reading other posts some of the Gents who use cold and after some research it is better for me to use cold and my skin enjoys it more and it will firm the skin better in my opinion for the next passes.I enjoy the preshave with warm water just before 1st lathering and then she cold rinses:001_wub: after that.

1- Razor of quailty
I leave out step 6 & 7 but agree with the rest.

I use to use hot water rinses and when reading other posts some of the Gents who use cold and after some research it is better for me to use cold and my skin enjoys it more and it will firm the skin better in my opinion for the next passes.I enjoy the preshave with warm water just before 1st lathering and then she cold rinses:001_wub: after that.

I will give it a try tomorrow then if I get a chance to shave. Weekends are kind of hit or miss sometimes.

1- Vintage Razor
2-Wet & hydrate whiskers
3-soap or cream (many to choose from, so true)
4-blade
5a-Rinse with cold water
5b-Alum if needed on the odd occasion
6-After shave(also many to choose from)
7-clean up equipment for next use

My routine, if I wrote it out, would have about twice as many steps. There are specific ways I position things, fill the basin, when I rinse and dry my hands, when I take a sip of coffee - but because I've been doing it exactly the same way for a year, it all seems simple and natural to be, and more like meditation.

Ron R

My routine, if I wrote it out, would have about twice as many steps. There are specific ways I position things, fill the basin, when I rinse and dry my hands, when I take a sip of coffee - but because I've been doing it exactly the same way for a year, it all seems simple and natural to be, and more like meditation.
I keep the list short and to the basics because there are so many variances of steps and distraction that some of lose a little focus with all the new soaps and blades and passes- 1pass for people in a hurry,2pass WTG-AGT for senstive skin,3pass more the traditional with a clean up.
You should of listed your sequence of steps because we all learn a little more on the learning curve.:walkman:
All the best.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Nice list
I don't rinse after each pass though at the end Ive taken to getting the lather off with the sink water. Before a cold water rinse.

Top Bottom