What's new

CV Heljestrand Wedge Blade Safety Razor Variations

These are the models that I own so I have actually handled them and done side by side comparisons.

The oldest is a well worn model and my oldest. It has the Swedish patent number stamped on the cross bar for the side blade guides. Patent number 18647. Per a Google search this patent is from 1904. Compared to later ones the blade stops are minimal and the top bar of the blade bed, that the top blade clamp fits into, is very narrow vertically. Also the pivoting blade guides bar has much more decorative stamped lines on it than the following versions. The handle is also different shaped and with a different knurling pattern than later versions. Looks to me like the tooling was revised.

The 1904 Swedish patent is basically identical to the 1901 USA patent number listed on the NEW GEM razor that I also have. The blade retention of the two razors is basically identical. The Gem is a hinged opening lather catcher but the main functional difference in a side by side comparison is the position of the comb on the CV Heljestrand. It is an open comb and is positioned on the lower surface of the razor body and sits at right angle to the blade edge. CV Heljestrand is the only manufacturer I have seen use this comb design.

CVH-V2-8.jpg
CVH-V2-3.jpg
CVH-V2-4.jpg
CVH-V2-6.jpg
CVH-V2-7.jpg

Next is the very similar second version that I have three of so it is apparently much commoner. This has enough differences from the first version above that it looks like the tooling was revised. The side blade guides swinging gate has "SWEDEN" stamped on it rather than any patent number. Also no stamped decorative lines on the gate. The rest of the stamping on the razor body is basically identical to the earlier razor. As mentioned earlier the top bar on the blade bed is much wider than on the earlier version razor head. The blade stops are also much more substantial than on the earlier version. The handle has a necked down ring immediately behind where it screws onto the head and the knurling pattern is different. I have seen one of these with the later heavy two piece machined handle of the next version but have no means of determining if the later handle is correct for this head. Finish on all of mine is silver plating on brass. Note that my first and second versions both have identical long comb teeth.

All of mine are in 7 blade compact cases. I have seen photos of one in a large case with soap and brush containers and a auto stropper. Apparently quite rare.

CVH-old3-6.jpg

CVH-old3-8.jpg

Version 3 is the commonest based on Ebay listings. Totally revised tooling and greatly simplified stamped lines on the head but functionally the same, though quite a different appearance. The whole head is much more substantial with a weight increase from about 0.9 ounce to 1.2 ounce. The handle is changed from a thin tubular two piece handle to a heavy solid brass machined two piece handle. All these machined handle plated brass razors I have came with a two piece handle. Three finishes were offered per my versions, gold, silver and polished chrome. I have all three. Most have a Kindal stamp on the head, but not all. Some also have a "Fabrique en Suede" stamp immediately under the Kindal stamp. Note the shorter comb teeth on this generation of the razors

I have seen these with 4 case major variations. A large case with room for the razor, 7 blades and a strop with auto stropper. The auto stropper is marked Kindal and MAGNUS and the strop is wider and much thicker leather than a Valet, Gem or JA Henckels strop. A quite substantial strop leather. See the first photo below. There is also a earlier version of the large case with a slot for the blade holder for honing the blade, not included with later large cases with the plastic blades holder. The other cases are 7 blade slot, 3 blade slot and no blade slot small or travel cases. The no blade slot one seems to be quite rare and has the blade mounted in the razor head for storage in the case. The 3 slot case does have room too for a fourth blade, mounted in the razor.

CVH-4-1.jpg
CVH9-1.jpg
CVH9-2.jpg
CVH-3 Razor .jpg

The fourth version of the razor is the one that should not exist based on web information, yet I have four of them, three cased. Visually it looks very much like the polished chrome version 3 razor until compared closely side by side. It is a very early INOX or austenitic stainless steel version. It can be identified by it's relatively weak reaction to a strong magnet. I also checked one via a abrasion test in a invisible area and it is definitely NOT plated brass. I am a hobbyist machinist with experience with stainless steel machining and characteristics. Head and handle are both stainless steel. The brass razors have no reaction to a magnet at all. Visual differences are the following. A one piece handle. No "KINDAL" or "FABRIQUE EN SUEDE" stamps on the razor head. If cased the cutout for the razor and handle is sized for the one piece handle.

CVH4SS-6.jpg
CVH4SS-2.jpg
CVH4SS-3.jpg

Note the missing "KINDAL" and "FABRIQUE EN SUEDE" stamps on the head in the below photo.
CVH4SS-4.jpg
CVH4SS-5.jpg

I forgot to mention that the handle thread used for attachment to the head is a metric thread, 3.5mm diameter by 0.6mm pitch. This is an ISO standard thread but not commonly used so the tap and die for it are not included in most sets. I have acquired them and made up threaded adapters that allow standard threaded handles to be mounted on these razor heads if desired. The thread remained unchanged for the life of production apparently. As with almost all lather catcher razors the handle thread is male and the threaded head the handle mounts to is a female thread. Clearly visible in the top photo of post #5 above.

Questions and comments appreciated. I do not say I have all of the answers as there seems to be minimal information on the CV Heljestrand safety razors. All of the ones posted about were designed for wedge blades but will also accept Gem blades or Valet blades. Valet blades are best with a Gem spine fitted.

I still haven't landed one of these yet.

Great write up!

They are obviously out there. On ebay do a worldwide search rather than a ebay USA search only. My last ones were found from sellers in France, Argentina and Sweden and only one was listed on ebay USA.

They are obviously out there. On ebay do a worldwide search rather than a ebay USA search only. My last ones were found from sellers in France, Argentina and Sweden and only one was listed on ebay USA.
I do see them here and there but someone keeps out biding me:001_rolle

Per one post on B&B from a number of years ago there is supposedly a earlier CV Heljestrand wedge blade lather catcher that is not Gem blade compatible as it does not have blade stops. The photo does not give enough detail of the blade bed side of the razor for me to tell for sure. Certainly I have not found any other photos of such a CVH razor so if you have one please post it.

The razor in post one has minimal blade stops compared to later ones and I could not see any indication using a 10X magnifier that the blade stops have been damaged or trimmed. Minimal but they do work with a Gem blade. I do have one head with a sheared off blade stop. The design of many early lather catcher razors with a spring loaded flipper to hold the blade top edge is such that if the flipper is closed by just flipping it over it can eventually damage the razor. Repeated impacts of the flipper on the top of a blade can eventually cut off one or both blade stops. A sharp hardened steel blade edge on soft brass will eventually do damage. Ease the flipper closed.

Last edited:
Terrific thread, thanks for the info and pics! Mine is the same as the one in your first post, and is a terrific razor. Very pleasant shaves.

Any preferences shaving-wise?

All have similar shaving characteristics and are some of the most efficient safety razors ever made in my opinion. All of my use so far has been with Gem blades though I need to try honing and stropping some of my wedge blades to give them a try too. Most of the razors came with full blade sets so I have plenty of wedge blades from both CV Heljestrand and Henckels.

Last edited:
Here is a set of photos of ALL of my stainless steel CV Heljestrand razors as purchased. Three in large cases, two with the auto-stropper and strop missing, and one in a cardboard Kindal Paris box. The top photo is the first stainless steel version I lucked into. The day markings on the blades are in French. Case in virtually new condition with black exterior and interior. Missing the auto stropper and strop.

CVHeljestrand-1.jpg

My second stainless acquisition. A brown finish case with red interior in virtually NOS condition. Again missing the strop. Blade markings in English.
CVHSS2-1.jpg

Third acquisition, from Spain. Turned out that the two boxed blades were not new and unused. Someone had resealed the boxes they were in.
CVHSS-1.jpg

Last one so far. With stropper assembly. Missing one blade but obviously can do some swapping to correct that. The plastic blade holder is in the case upside down. Case leather exterior shows minor damage, again swappable to end up with a virtually NOS set. Strop leather appears to be in very good condition. The stainless steel versions are out there and with the info and photos presented in this thread good luck in finding one.
CVH4-SS-1.jpg

Last edited:
For those who like gold finish, here is my gold plated example. Bought uncased with one blade. Blade looks unused and some minor wear to the gold plating, primarily on the swinging gate blade side guides top bar. IMO a beautiful gold plated brass example. The only one I have seen with gold plating. The handle is two piece, standard for the brass CVH razors. Totally standard version 3 except for the gold plating.

CVH-Gold-1.jpg
CVH-Gold-2.jpg
CVH-Gold-3.jpg

Nice
efsk. Much better condition and finish than mine. A really nice set of photos, thanks. My estimated production date for yours is the 1905 to 1910 period. Let me know if you ever decide to sell or swap.

Last edited:
Dating for these is unknown, at least for me. The patent was granted in late 1904 apparently so the earliest razors with the patent number are probably 1905. One seller claimed that production ceased in 1930 but a Kindal Paris store advertisement supposedly from post WW2 shows a drawing of a large cased set. No idea how old the art work was though. Also no idea whether the stainless steel razors were made after the production of the brass ones had ceased. They appear to have used new or modified tooling based on the one piece handle and noticeable differences in the head details based on a side by side comparison of a stainless steel and late brass razors.

Last edited:
Here is the supposed post WW2 CV Heljestrand razors advertisement from the Kindal Store in Paris. No way to know if the advertisement seller's claim of the publication date is correct or how old the artwork was when used. Per a Swedish poster who is apparently knowledgeable about CV Heljestrand straight razors the straight razor is definitely a pre WW2 model.

CVH-ad-1.jpg

Kindal still exists, but at a different address. Maybe it is possible to find out when they moved away from the avenue de l'opéra?

Top Bottom