What's new

Oristo Razors

If you can't wait for IB to release their Mamba (which should happen sometime soon), the Oristo is a good clone of it. Of course, when the Mamba is released, it will be at half the price.

Another thing is that the Oristo will soon be a part of shaving history since their latest kickstarter campaign failed and what is out there is the last of it. So one consideration in the other direction.

If you can't wait for IB to release their Mamba (which should happen sometime soon), the Oristo is a good clone of it. Of course, when the Mamba is released, it will be at half the price.

Another thing is that the Oristo will soon be a part of shaving history since their latest kickstarter campaign failed and what is out there is the last of it. So one consideration in the other direction.

Is it confirmed that the soon to be released "Mamba" is the same as the "Black Mamba" of which the Orista is a clone? If so, then yeah, even this sale price seems 120% overpriced . . . assuming you just happen to be looking at your Twitter feed within about 10 minutes of when the Mamba is released and you are able to land one!

The drop is already at $99. When I got mine it was $95, plus I got another five dollars off due to some bonus I got from paypal. I like the razor alot. Not for $150, but for $95 I am happy.

When the Black Mamba was unobtainable the Oristo came out. Now that the Mamba is coming out with a much lower price than either of those, Oristo is done. I don't really believe this, but it's like there was an agreement between IB and Stashed and Found: "Sure, copy our razor while you can make some money on it, but don't make too many because when we come back with a new one you won't be able to sell yours for that price."

When the Black Mamba was unobtainable the Oristo came out. Now that the Mamba is coming out with a much lower price than either of those, Oristo is done. I don't really believe this, but it's like there was an agreement between IB and Stashed and Found: "Sure, copy our razor while you can make some money on it, but don't make too many because when we come back with a new one you won't be able to sell yours for that price."

Yes . . . but the question is whether the Mamba will be the same as the Black Mamba. If not, then you are comparing pricing on two different razors.

According to Joe at IB, the Mamba is exactly the same except without that uberglide coating. The coating was supposed to be better than the normal DLC coating, but cost more and was a real PITA to coat. Personally, the Black Mamba was in such limited production that I doubt many people have one and even fewer will be able to compare the two. I have an Oristo Sheen which is just the uncoated version and so would be easily able to compare it with the Mamba when it comes out.

BTW - I agree totally with you about Joe just telling us "soon" and then suddenly posting on twitter that they are available now. Others, like Colonial, Blackland, ATT, and Bullgoose will say that it will be released on a particular day (which is a couple of days away). Such is life. This time around, Joe wanted to make sure he had 1000+ Mambas before releasing them (so it would last for a couple of hours). ;-)

According to Joe at IB, the Mamba is exactly the same except without that uberglide coating. The coating was supposed to be better than the normal DLC coating, but cost more and was a real PITA to coat. Personally, the Black Mamba was in such limited production that I doubt many people have one and even fewer will be able to compare the two. I have an Oristo Sheen which is just the uncoated version and so would be easily able to compare it with the Mamba when it comes out.

BTW - I agree totally with you about Joe just telling us "soon" and then suddenly posting on twitter that they are available now. Others, like Colonial, Blackland, ATT, and Bullgoose will say that it will be released on a particular day (which is a couple of days away). Such is life. This time around, Joe wanted to make sure he had 1000+ Mambas before releasing them (so it would last for a couple of hours). ;-)

Thanks. Great info. As usual, you are spot on.

Side point: your advice came in very handy when I recently tightened my first three piece slant (what else but a Wunderbar). I do disagree though on this: it is, to me, very much worth the premium over the 39c, which I find harsh.

Second side point: I did not in any way intend to be critical of Joe; he makes great products and in a competitive environment, if this method of marketing works, good for him, and us, since he can innovate further.

I never saw it as criticism of Joe. It is the way he is and I think sometimes he like toying around with us, especially the ones that continue to ask him on FB when, when, when. He DOES put out good razors, brushes, and soaps for the masses, which I have played a major part in keeping him in business. ;-)

According to the IB website it also has a new handle with some adjustability.

According to the IB website it also has a new handle with some adjustability.
That "adjustability" was being able to unscrew that bottom portion of the handle to make it lighter and shorter. Not unlike the last Oristo project which failed, where the major improvement was a handle that had two bottom portions, one being the standard bottom and the other being a pedestal so you could stand up the razor.

Not knowing the size of the screw, maybe one will be able to attach another razor head on it. A RR Darth Maul editon Mamba! ;-)

So Oristo made this for RazoRock or did Joe get a taste of his own medicine and somebody blatantly ripped him off? i.e. the Mongoose SE Head? LOL !
Imagine making 30 or 50 these and then selling them below cost just to create a false hype? and getting a bunch of noobs to send in for the waitlist! Ehh?

That "adjustability" was being able to unscrew that bottom portion of the handle to make it lighter and shorter. Not unlike the last Oristo project which failed, where the major improvement was a handle that had two bottom portions, one being the standard bottom and the other being a pedestal so you could stand up the razor.

Not knowing the size of the screw, maybe one will be able to attach another razor head on it. A RR Darth Maul editon Mamba! ;-)
Yeah. I didn't love that new Oristo handle. I thought the original handle matched the curves of the head better. As a Star Wars fanatic I would love a brush handle done like Maul's facial markings.

Top Bottom