What's new

Cycling 2017

IMG_0742.JPG
37.3 road bike miles. Left at 6:47 before sunrise with Venus and a crescent rising in the east. Lots of people out walking/running/biking by 7:30. Seeing more time trial/tri bikes as the triathlon approaches.

Did 35 yesterday, and 51 today. I rarely go back to back, so this one was a big one. Might see if I can try to grab another 20 tomorrow. Keep the streak going!

I ride a ten year old custom Waterford RS33, full Campy Record, I'm sixty four and today rode 26 miles, 70% flats and 30% steeps. Broke my back T12 and L2 in a bike accident five years ago and my mileage of 35 to 50 regularly has dropped to 25 to 35 + miles per ride.

Sometimes you've just got to get back on the bike and get back into the swing of things. Denver's roads are in need of repair big time and the texters and drunk and careless drivers make things difficult.

Nevertheless... the beer after each ride ALWAYS tastes great.

Ride safely!

Did a 27 mile ride today. Felt good about it until I read that you guys are doing some major mileage. At least its major from my perspective. I'm just going to have to work up to it. I mapped out a new 12.5 mile loop that has 2 really nice climbs in it. I'm going to have to work that one into my current loop repertoire to help gain some climbing strength.

Been on the road for work, but I'm back, so 15 miles this morning. We're supposed to possibly get rain today so I needed to ride this morning. Not bad for the first time on the bike in a week

Nevertheless... the beer after each ride ALWAYS tastes great.
:001_smile
20.7 road bike miles. Felt like I stopped at 80% of intersections tonight. In the final 1/2 mile I went to the smallest cog in the rear (12T) and got out of the saddle. If I wasn't at the limit, I was 98%. My max speed was 25.7 mph. Just can't fathom how some of the guys who ride here (Never mind the world class guys!) average 25 mph for 50+ miles!

I know it isn't bike related but I started my day doing 84 push ups (6 sets of 14) and 270 bicycle crunches. Then went for a walk with the family for 1.7 miles. I then got on the bike and went for an 18 mile ride. This could be my last ride before going to Miami to visit family on Friday morning. Back on the bike on Monday.

So Monday I thought I had a sinus infection coming on, chalked it up to flying last week for work. Tuesday it wasn't better, and felt different. Later that day I realized it was a toothache.

30+ years ago I smacked my face on the concrete doing something stupid on a skateboard and chipped a tooth.

Hell's finally come home to roost apparently. I'm off to the dentist later today and definitely don't feel like riding.

Friday was the root canal ... Felt pretty good after, all things considered.

Finally back to riding today ... 15 miles

Not riding today. Came back from Miami to find that our house had been broken into and ransacked. Now I'm dealing with the claim, fixing the door they smashed in. No time for a ride today. Maybe tomorrow.

That sucks. What an awful feeling when you return to that.

Rain has stopped. 17.3 road bike miles after which I looked like I had been on the trail. 80/87/W6

Another 15 miles this morning ... Was hesitant to ride because it was so foggy. Made sure my red blinky on the back was working and went out. Few cars to content with thankfully.

Did the T1 brick. Lap swim sprint for 10 minutes (hopefully longer than I'll have to swim on tri day) and 10 minute bike sprint in the highest gear about 80% of the ride, which took just under 30 minutes at 20.1 mph. I don't see improving upon that bike time much on race day, but who knows. Still had to slow a couple times for traffic and one U-turn. Recovered quickly. Still a 5K to add on race day!
87/72%/WSW7

19 miles this morning ... deliberately sought out hills and found even more than I expected. Tackled even more of Roller Coaster Road and stumbled on a Strava segment and posted the sixth overall time (not bad for uphill). Oh ... and I'm down another pound. 19 pounds total :)

Didn't ride yesterday. Was still cleaning up from the break in. And today I'm just emotionally drained and depressed from this ordeal. It's been a tough year being unemployed for the first time in 30+ years. I hope to get back on the bike soon because it has been pretty much the only thing keeping me going lately. I just have to get my head back in the right place.

Push through ... you can do it. Even when I don't feel like riding I find that if I go through the motions, get dressed for it, get out on the bike, within 5-10 minutes I'm glad I did.

Unemployment sucks ... I'd ride as much as possible :) Hang in there friend

Top Bottom