What's new

Finishing Micarta

Sorry for the necro-thread, but I need some advice. I'm finishing up micarta scales on a camp knife and need to seal the finish. The obvious problem is that ash, grease, ketchup, etc., is going to get absorbed into the fibers. It's already trapping stuff during the sanding process.

It's ivory-colored micarta, so it's really going to show. I was thinking either mineral oil or bee's wax. Any suggestions?

SDC16444.JPG

Good looking knife!
I made micarta a few times with paper and two part epoxy. I figured no matter what sort of material you used it would likely be so impregnated with the epoxy that a finish would be unnecessary.
I am curious as to the answer to this too.

Thanks. I've still got a way to go. At an 80 grit I already have a satin finish that feels great. I probably won't do much more sanding. The finish of the micarta reminds me of cuttlefish bone, it's a nice texture.

I'll probably try mineral oil. If the fibers are already saturated, maybe they won't soak up the dirt.

Well they say you learn from your mistakes, I guess I have learned a lot with my first rescale. I made these with the old Micarta, there are some black spots in the material but that aside I don't mind it. The wedge is aluminum and after I did the first pin I'm thinking I should of used nickle silver for the pins and washers. after the second pin I realized that I could still use nickle silver as I had a piece of two sided tape now pinned in place, so I get to take it apart. As for the Micarta it was easy to work with. I started with a rough grind to shape then sanded final shape with 60 grit, and then worked through 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit, a quick polish with white rouge and I was done. The blade is a J. Wiss & Sons Co Newark N.J. That was badly stained but cleaned up with out a lot of work.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have several more razors to rescale and I have bought a few GD's to play with while out at the cabin this summer.

View attachment 253787View attachment 253788View attachment 253789View attachment 253790

I'm inspired! I really like that look.

Top Bottom