What's new

Best Current Non-Tallow Shaving Soap

Googled topic and couldn't find anything recent...

So I've changed my way of eating, and although not a vegetarian, I have cut down the amount of meat I eat.

This lead me to re-think putting cow (or any other animal) fat on my face to shave, therefore would like to try something else that's non-tallow.

Experience:
Wet shaving for 3 years, and these are the only soaps/creams I've used:

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat (favorite)
2. Cella
3. Pre de Provence
4. G.F. Trumper Coconut Cream

They are in order of preference.

I live in Nicaragua and usually order in the US and have someone that comes from there bring them, therefore availability is a bit of an issue.

Would love to try MdC but it seems a bit too difficult to get, therefore any other readily available recommendations are greatly appreciated!

THANKS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can get Darwin and MdC directly from France. Very easy to get actually once you commit to the price.

Mama Bears soap is glycerin based and does a great job.

Although my next Shave I am going to try the Bacon scent .... it smells more smokey/salty than bacon
I don't think it has real bacon.

WSP (rustic--not the Formula T) and Dr. Jon's. Both good performers for me.

I haven't tried Dr. Jon's, but recently pulled out some early WSP rustic tobacco and got a superb lather. It was slick, cushiony and everything a lather should be.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Soap Commander. Superb soaps that are great performers with lots of moisturizing shea butter. For me the acid test is how does the lather leave my face during the dry winter months - Soap Commander hits all the marks.

Googled topic and couldn't find anything recent...

So I've changed my way of eating, and although not a vegetarian, I have cut down the amount of meat I eat.

This lead me to re-think putting cow (or any other animal) fat on my face to shave, therefore would like to try something else that's non-tallow.

Experience:
Wet shaving for 3 years, and these are the only soaps/creams I've used:

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat (favorite)
2. Cella
3. Pre de Provence
4. G.F. Trumper Coconut Cream

They are in order of preference.

I live in Nicaragua and usually order in the US and have someone that comes from there bring them, therefore availability is a bit of an issue.

Would love to try MdC but it seems a bit too difficult to get, therefore any other readily available recommendations are greatly appreciated!

THANKS!!!

Your title asks for the best veggie soap, imo the best is Saponificio Varesino. It is a 150g triple milled puck that will last. There are several sites that carry it here in the states, priced between $24 and $28 US. If you factor in most pucks are 100g and SV is 150g the cost comes down to a bit closer to everything else. What makes SV stand out as the best to me is the post shave. Their aftershaves are also reasonably priced and only enhance the post shave experience

Non tallow on a budget, Stone Cottage should be on anybody's list. I consider the cream more of a croap as it is hard and I have no issues loading it right from the tub.

Musgo Real is another excellent veggie puck, weighing in at 125g and it's very hard, it lasts.

Your title asks for the best veggie soap, imo the best is Saponificio Varesino. It is a 150g triple milled puck that will last. There are several sites that carry it here in the states, priced between $24 and $28 US. If you factor in most pucks are 100g and SV is 150g the cost comes down to a bit closer to everything else. What makes SV stand out as the best to me is the post shave. Their aftershaves are also reasonably priced and only enhance the post shave experience
indeed, SV is an excellent soap..
Get the Felce Aromatica while you can, i'm sure you won't regret it * i see Manna di Sicilia is sold out already)

Get the Felce Aromatica while you can, i'm sure you won't regret it * i see Manna di Sicilia is sold out already)
All their scents are simply delicious. Trying to pick a favorite is next to impossible. That being said I think I lean to Tundra Artica as a favorite but it could be any

i guess you're right, hard to choose..
When i'm using the black Dolomiti i think that's the best, than Manna becomes the fav and so on... reminds me, i didn't use Tundra for a while, time for a spin

Thanks guys for the recommendations... it seems Saponifico Varesino gets plenty of love... might give that one a shot...

Any if you that have used MWF how does SV compare to it just to have some common ground?

Another vote here for SV! You won't know it's not tallow! Have the 70tn Anniversary and just love it - super slick and moisturizing too. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom